Discussion Power The Wizard King Candidates: Another Look At Yami’s Power Level

How Strong is Yami relative to the other captains?

• Total voters

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
So I’ve been thinking about this moment from 332:

And I wanted to take a moment to evaluate the exact criteria for Wizard King and discuss this for a little bit.

I am not surprised by Mereoleona, Fuegoleon, and Nozel being Wizard King candidates, for those of you who have discussed Black Clover with me before, you will know that I rank Mereoleona > Vangeance >= Fuego ~ Nozel ~ Yami in terms of power levels. I am not surprised that Vangeance was not mentioned among Wizard King candidates after the Patri stuff, but I am quite surprised by Yami not being mentioned among Wizard King candidates, for a couple of reasons.

So Julius states that ultimately the Wizard King title will go to the Magic Knight who produces the most and best results. This does not necessarily mean that the Wizard King will always be the strongest Magic Knight, there could still be other Magic Knights as strong as the Wizard King, but I do think that strength is an absolute requirement for anyone who holds the title even though this has never been stated.

So here’s what I’ve been thinking about:

1. In terms of results, Yami is easily the best candidate for Wizard King. The Black Bulls (thanks primarily to Asta and Noelle) have easily achieved the most and best results since the manga began, with really no competition from the other squads. Sure they ended up tied in Star amount with the Golden Dawn by the time the Elf War began, but the Black Bulls started off far behind the Golden Dawn and still ended up tying them anyway.

And yet, Yami is not mentioned as a Wizard King candidate.

2. In terms of strength, you guys know my standing, that Yami is not stronger than all of the other captains (which the consensus around him being that he is).

Nozel for example, tore Megicula to smithereens down to her heart only by himself and ultimately defeated her with Noelle’s help. This is a better feat, objectively, than anything Yami has ever shown if we’re being quite honest:

When Yami’s best feat is just barely defeating Devil Host Dante with Asta’s help by the skin of his teeth (still an objectively great feat), I think Nozel’s is clearly superior. This is not to argue Nozel > Yami, but this is just to point out that scaling Yami above the other Captains (especially right now) just seems disingenuous to me. I certainly think Tabata is a huge Yami fanboy, but I also think the man has huge respect for Nozel and Fuegoleon as well, let alone Mereoleona.

3. So we’ve established that by results, Yami should be the Wizard King right now. We’ve also established that if Yami truly were stronger than the other Clover Captains, you would think that he would certainly at least be a Wizard King candidate as well. I mentioned this to @Light D Lamperouge , but I think that the big reason that Yami wasn’t mentioned as a candidate is because he is not royalty or a noble and likely has a lot of issues with Clover nobility/royalty, but that brings me to the ultimate reason I am creating this thread:

I love Yami as much as the next guy, but the consensus that Yami is stronger than the rest of the captains, right now, seems to be objectively wrong. Even if Yami is being excluded from the Wizard King conversation because of politics, Julius never mentions anything about politics being a necessary aspect of being the Wizard King, in Julius’ mind results should trump all else. I suppose Julius’ statement should not be interpreted as a be-all-end-all statement, but…

Anyway, that’s enough of my rambling lol. You guys know my opinion and I’ll re-state it now, Mereoleona > Vangeance >= Fuegoleon = Nozel = Yami = Jack > Charlotte = Dorothy =?= Rill seems to be the best way to scale the Clover Captains imo. What do you guys think?

@Light D Lamperouge @Seth @GrandmasterChef Zonji @MonsterKaido @Yasheen @Dark Admiral @Shadowlord123 @Gol D. Roger @Nidai_Kitetsu @Blue @matt245 etc

Beats everyone but Mereo.
Post automatically merged:

In my opinion Mereo is in a tier of her own.

Yami is in the same tier as Jack and Charlotte (Stronger than them after Devil tree upgrade, weaker without but still in the same tier)

Then the other captains in their own tier.

Last edited: