Chapter Discussion This isn't "Peak Fiction" , this is arguably Luffy's worst fight

I only support what I like. Unlike you, who takes things out of context. I mean, you are one of those cucks who got cucked by Oda, hence, you don't try to establish is opinion in an open minded manner.

You have simply ignored how Luffy is at the death door and how he knows if he doesn't finish Kaidou, everyone will die. But all you see is one dialogue at the end.
As if Luffy will actually die and not get revived again with some asspull :suresure:

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
I mean, look at that bottom picture of Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon. Look at Charloss‘ face.

Pretty loony tunes.

I thought this chapter was really good. And despite the fact Luffy was being all cartoony he actually made some half decent speeches that show more personality than he’s done since Chapter 1000. Why he’s fighting, he doesn’t care when he dies because they’re all just bones.

Yeah, I agree, for the finale finale Luffy cannot be chuckling away. That should be a dramatic, serious moment.

But for a one-off, this is what G5 does introduction chapter, I thought it was great.

If you dont think that there is a subtext of deep emotion in this fight, you aren't looking closely enough at the panels.

We've seen anger from Luffy. Without a doubt, there have been tons of panels where Luffy has the lined shading over his eyes. However, this is the first time we've ever seen Luffy look appropriately crazed:

This isn't not the face of someone who has just witnessed unfairness that needs to be corrected, or sees an enemy that he needs to defeat.

This is the face of someone whose realized that unfairness is everywhere in the world and that he can never do anything to properly fix it, and realized that the enemy he needs to defeat is someone he hates so much that he'd be willing to drive himself to death and inglorious sucide rather than lose to him even one more time.

But also the face of someone who needs to convince himself that he's satisfied with it ending up like this, and trick himself into thinking that he's happy in order to not go fully insane at the revelation of everything's futility.

In other words, that face of Luffy at the end of chapter 1044, was more realistic and relatable than any anger face he's ever given us.

That expression had calmed down and smoothed out a bit within the latest chapter, since he seems to have regained a little bit of hope, but in terms of emotions of anger, these last couple chapters have been the highlight of the raid. Not a low point at all.

miss me with that deep shit you're trying too hard when it's simple

when you read or watch something you feel it's emotion, and that's why I love anime/manga when Luffy screams in anger vs Lucci or when he cries after Kuma dispear his crew or when he fought Usopp

these are emotions that will get you going, every single time. idgf about him smiling and looking like a cartoon , you might think in some fucked up way it's brilliant and 5D chess and some next level representation or any of that bullshit but not for me and not for most ppl

Intense Fights are what made One Piece, not this shit ... you "Oda Angels" are obviously gonna defend any thing he gives us but if Oda truly continue this fight like this it will be my least favorite thing he ever done in the story

miss me with that deep shit you're trying too hard when it's simple
It is simple, which is why I don't understand why you don't get it.

when you read or watch something you feel it's emotion,
And apparently you don't feel Luffy's right now?

idgf about him smiling and looking like a cartoon
It's not that. Idgf about that as well.
The symbolism there is minor and poorly implemented at the best case.

No. It's the eyes. He's smiling, sure. But look at the eyes.
The emotion in the eyes. That's what sold me on the scene.

Intense Fights are what made One Piece, not this shit ...
Those eyes, in this situational context, are as intense as Luffy has ever been.

I don't get it how people can call this arc a Peak Fiction when there is no tension? I have lost The Count of how many times Luffy has lost like he even died one time and came back to life.

and it is not even like this Arc is doing any new thing. it is just another arc where Luffy saves another royalty and the people of the kingdom.
I can tell you some ppl give 0 fs about tension or danger in this arc. They love when the good guys wreck the bad guys. But some of those same ppl will complain about tension in mha, FAIRY TAIL,etc.
Whatever tension or sense of danger you expected needs to forget it. Its gone.

"One Piece never had good fights"

You are half right, I mean, Yeah, it aint about fights but it still has some decent fights. After all, Oda has off paneled 90% of all the fights lol.

Remember Roger? Called Laugh tale the last island? Joyboy and Nika Nika fruit? Everything makes sense now, Joy Boy told his story. For me it is fine, I mean, it aint bad, Oda just chose a different battle style for Luffy. Which aint tooo different of his previous.

LMFAO

I can't believe this is a real post
he is not wrong but the way he phrases it isn't right. The comedy aspect does suit one piece but that's said it should have been in the starting, not at the end of the fight where things should be more serious. I know there is no tension or stakes but at this point, it looks like Luffy is making fun of Kaido like he is some sort of a joke of a villain.

the issue isn't the goofiness, that's always been there(and 1045 isn't supposed to be a serious fight chapter anyways).

The issue is the set up and execution. Taking Luffy from being low diffed by kaido to 1v1ing him in the span of several chapters. Luffy losing multiple times and there being no consequences bar Luffy magically getting power ups every time Luffy loses. Major power ups such as ACoC and awakening being shoehorned into the fight instead of naturally developing.
Post automatically merged:

compare these chapters to dressrosa and WCI.

In WCI, Pedro and Pound "died"(and we had no reason to assume otherwise), the SHs were being chased by the BMP, an army of BMP was surrounding the mirror which Luffy was going to escape from, it was ruly a helpless situation.
In dressrosa, you had the birdcage closing in from all sides and you had the entire country fighting against doffy. You had gatz cheering for Luffy as civilians ran from the birdcage and the allies pushed against it.

Where is this ticking time bomb in wano? The civilians don't even know what's happening on onigashima and even if they did, kaido's hold on the island is weakening.

Maybe Luffy vs Kaido will take 10 more chapters, the civilians will see what's happen, momo will get his hour of legends moment, and so on. But at this point it just seems like a bore. Kaido said Luffy was truly matching him 1v1 pre-G5, now Luffy has been given the biggest power up ever and at the same time, he says he's at his limit. So I'm guessing this fight ends in the next few chapters.

Last edited: