News Volume 99 coming on June 2021

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
That's most likely yamato who is beside ace

Kinda wonder if sabo would have some relationship with vivi. Ace and yamato hate their father. Vivi and sabo came from noble family

Maybe the situation on reverie is a bit similar to what happen in wano. Just replace ace with sabo, yamato with vivi, BM with fujitora and kaido with ryoukugyu
:finally:
What are you actually imagining happened?

This is a brief summary of Ace and Yamato's interactions:
  • Ace and Yamato fought each other.
  • Ace helped Yamato become free at heart.
  • They became friends.
  • Ace asked Yamato to join him.
  • Yamato was unable to despite wanting to.
  • Ace told Yamato about Luffy.
  • They said goodbye.
Kaido was absent for the entirety of their time together.

How are you imagining things played out with Sabo and Vivi?

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
@Cinera How did King "Low Diff" Sanji when he failed to do any noticeable damage to him with an attack that he declared is meant to end Sanji's life ?

Luffy and Zoro came out worse for wear from their first encounter with Apoo than Sanji did from his encounter with King.
I interpreted the scene as Sanji getting knocked out:
  • He shows up a while later and seems to be just standing/rising up.
  • He's questioning if Momonosuke escaped, suggesting that he was out of commission.

I think Sanji got KOed. Kaido knocked out Luffy with Rag Naraku for probably an even shorter period of time, but Luffy looked fine when he stood up.

Maybe it will be Law, Kid, Killer, Zoro, Luffy and Kaido for volume 100 and we will get Sanji, Nami, Brook and Franky for volume 101. It would fit because volume 99 had 4 SH and volume 101 will also have 4 SH. Maybe we will learn in the upcoming chapter who will be behind the SH in volume 101. Akainu or Teach maybe? A third party will show up and his strength/force will be equal to Kaido and BM

What are you actually imagining happened?

This is a brief summary of Ace and Yamato's interactions:
  • Ace and Yamato fought each other.
  • Ace helped Yamato become free at heart.
  • They became friends.
  • Ace asked Yamato to join him.
  • Yamato was unable to despite wanting to.
  • Ace told Yamato about Luffy.
  • They said goodbye.
Kaido was absent for the entirety of their time together.

How are you imagining things played out with Sabo and Vivi?
Well maybe not similar but it is fun imagining reverie version of this cover layout with the existence of sabo and ace, 2 yonko 2 admiral. Vivi and yamato who are related to SHs

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Maybe it will be Law, Kid, Killer, Zoro, Luffy and Kaido for volume 100 and we will get Sanji, Nami, Brook and Franky for volume 101. It would fit because volume 99 had 4 SH and volume 101 will also have 4 SH. Maybe we will learn in the upcoming chapter who will be behind the SH in volume 101. Akainu or Teach maybe? A third party will show up and his strength/force will be equal to Kaido and BM
Ace (and Yamato?) are the background characters for Volume 100:

Kaido is in volume 101.

With Ace and Yamato for volume 100, there's no space for the Supernova.

@Cinera Also, if Sanji being a Supernova is an argument you're using now, would you feel confident to argue that Sanji is weaker than every single Supernova
I interpreted the scene as Sanji getting knocked out:
  • He shows up a while later and seems to be just standing/rising up.
  • He's questioning if Momonosuke escaped, suggesting that he was out of commission.

I think Sanji got KOed. Kaido knocked out Luffy with Rag Naraku for probably an even shorter period of time, but Luffy looked fine when he stood up.
Sanji literally appears on the very next page after the one who attacked him makes an appearance.

It barely took more time for Sanji to come out of the rubble than it took King to take flight and appear above the tower.

Sanji took a piercing attack meant to put a hole in his body, and doesn't even show discomfort in that area afterwards. King declared Sanji will die and couldn't even leave an injury on his body.

Imagine Sanji being in that position, landing such an attack while making such a declaration, and failing to even injure his opponent. The ammount of trolling that would go his way would be hard to contain, no way would anyone say he "low diffed" his opponent.

I don't think Oda wants to change the M3 dynamic, so not changing it when Jimbe joins doesn't alter my opinion? Like it's not that I think Oda wants to make Yamato stronger than Sanji to disrupt the M3 dynamic. I'm not arguing that Oda is trying to remove Sanji from his position as the 3rd Strongest Strawhat.

Yamato is simply stronger than Sanji and she's also going to join the crew. I simply don't think that Oda considers the M3 sacrosanct.

And if Oda wanted to preserve the M3, he wouldn't stop Yamato from joining because she's too strong, he'll simply make Sanji stronger.
This is what's going to happen, Sanji's going to fight either Queen, King or both, Kaidos top two men.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
@Cinera Also, if Sanji being a Supernova is an argument you're using now, would you feel confident to argue that Sanji is weaker than every single Supernova
I was pointing out ways in which Oda let Sanji lag behind Zoro and Luffy. I was not claiming that every SN > Sanji.
I don't see how that has bearing on my argument anyway.

Imagine Sanji being in that position, landing such an attack while making such a declaration, and failing to even injure his opponent. The ammount of trolling that would go his way would be hard to contain, no way would anyone say he "low diffed" his opponent.
What Chapter did Sanji vs King start? I'll reread it later and maybe write a thread about it.

But the flashback with Yamato and Ace is in volume 99. I don’t know why those two should be on volume 100. Kaido and the SN would make more sense, maybe Oda will change his plans
  1. Volume 99 - 101: is one big composite image, so Ace and Yamato's Flashback being in Volume 99 doesn't preclude them from the Volume 100 Cover.
  2. Kaido is appearing in Volume 101 alongside Brook, Nami and some other Strawhats, so he can't be in Volume 100.
  3. Oda has already decided on the #99 - 101 composite image and would be unlikely to change it now.

I was pointing out ways in which Oda let Sanji lag behind Zoro and Luffy. I was not claiming that every SN > Sanji.
I don't see how that has bearing on my argument anyway.

What Chapter did Sanji vs King start? I'll reread it later and maybe write a thread about it.

1. Volume 99 - 101: is one big composite image, so Ace and Yamato's Flashback being in Volume 99 doesn't preclude them from the Volume 100 Cover.
  2. Kaido is appearing in Volume 101 alongside Brook, Nami and some other Strawhats, so he can't be in Volume 100.
  3. Oda has already decided on the #99 - 101 composite image and would be unlikely to change it now.

Sanji has always lagged behind Zoro and Luffy.

Sanji never got to do everything Zoro and Luffy do, the way Zoro doesn't get to do everything Luffy does.

There was always a 1>2>3, so pointing out that 1 and 2 > 3 was never an argument for why the 3 isn't supposed to still be the 3.

So you use Sanji not being a Supernova as one of the arguments that the strength dynamic could have changed once Sanji was excluded from being one, but then see no connection with the fact that Oda's comfortable with showing us that Sanji does not lack strength when compared to others who hold that title ?

Isn't that making it clear that Sanji's exclusion was not about his strength in the first place, and thus should not be used to arbitrarily limit Sanji's strength potential ?

Sanji was always more of a dark horse, surprising opponents when they realize that the SH's have another fighter of such caliber. That limited Sanji's bounty at the time, and made it so that he flies under the radar enough to not qualify as a SN.

Sanji not being a SN's, yet being as strong or stronger than those who hold that title gives Oda more opportunity for diverse story telling.

It's chapter 988 when Sanji saves Momonosuke.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
So you use Sanji not being a Supernova as one of the arguments that the strength dynamic could have changed once Sanji was excluded from being one, but then see no connection with the fact that Oda's comfortable with showing us that Sanji does not lack strength when compared to others who hold that title ?

Isn't that making it clear that Sanji's exclusion was not about his strength in the first place, and thus should not be used to arbitrarily limit Sanji's strength potential ?
Actually, ignore the Supernova point if you want. It's not important to my complaint, so seizing on it feels weird (I don't actually care that much about the point, so I don't want to debate it's importance).

The thrust of my argument was around how lackluster Sanji's depiction as a combatant has been postskip.

So far it looks like: 1 ~ 2 >> 3 ~ 4 > 5.

Sanji is much closer to Jimbe and Franky than to Luffy and Zoro. And this isn't going to change.

Best case scenario for Sanji, he soloes a Calamity, and this still doesn't close the gap.

Even if Sanji beats Queen and Zoro King, it would only reinforce that Zoro >> Sanji (because Zoro is heavily injured and Oda is not going to magic away those injuries).

Honestly, by feats Jimbe > Sanji, but I'm giving Sanji the benefit of the doubt.

Sanji seems closer to Franky than Zoro, and this is like one of the few times (the only time) I could actually genuinely say this. Franky is holding his own against a stronger Tobi Roppo than the Tobi Roppo Sanji failed to defeat.