• The best arc in the series.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Top 5.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Top 15.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Not even top 15/Top 10 - 5 WORST arcs in the series.

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters
If this was just about how beautiful the landscapes were, Wano would get an absolute 10/10 :josad:

Same for the historical accuracy of the Ancient Japan mixed into a fantasy fashion.

There's a lot of stuff that you don't like which I personally didn't mind, so I can't say I can agree with you on a lot of the complaints that you have.

Asura was completely out of nowhere, whereas at least Zoro's power-up in Onigashima had some explanation and basis to it. Luffy was more than a nuisance for Kaido pre-1010; one Red Roc had him hallucinating, Kong Gatling put him on the ground for a short while and he actually made the effort to start dodging Luffy's attacks in 1009. Even after unlocking advanced CoC, Luffy was still beaten again before he returned with Momo, so not quite toe-to-toe with a Yonko right off the bat.

The fights in Enies Lobby were well-contained or whatever, but they lacked the tension or seriousness they should've had (imo) given what was at stake with Robin's rescue. The Straw Hats have struggled more in Wano than in Enies Lobby, with stuff like Nami and Usopp outright losing and almost dying, Luffy getting thrown into the ocean, Zoro getting put in a pack for 10 chapters straight etc, and that I prefer over Zoro getting annoyed by a goofy giraffe or the fanservice/stupid forms showed by Kalifa in Nami's fight for instance. Touching on Sanji getting trapped, it was to show his progress after WCI as a character (learning to rely on others) and to give Robin some of the validation that she had always wanted before meeting the Straw Hats. Personally don't really care about what led up to it.

Additionally, couldn't you also say that the fights in Wano are leading to the overall success of the raid, like how the fights in Enies Lobby led to Robin's rescue? CP0 even comment on this matter in Chapter 1003, that the officers needed to be defeated or they could take out hundreds of samurai each.

I don't think people actually thought that Zeus or Kanjuro would die (the first time round), Ashura Doji's status is not confirmed and why even bring up Luffy? He's been in near-death scenarios so many times but we know he won't actually die since he's the MC. Yeah I really dislike the other fake-out deaths in Wano and I think they're just as bad as the Franky Family/Galley-La fakeout deaths in Enies Lobby, given how the latter deaths were presented and the crew's reaction to what happened.

I keep hearing complaints about Big Mom's amnesia but I didn't actually care too much that it happened despite it being a plot device, so I'll just leave it as a case of personal preference. Same goes for Mother Mode and the Tama plot, because it seemed like Oda was interested in exploring more of BM's character and perhaps showing how unstable the alliance with Kaido was on some level. I will agree on Yamato's inclusion being forced though, and maybe she should've been the one to help out in Udon instead to introduce her earlier in the arc and build her up more naturally. I can also agree with the mishandling of the Numbers, Mimawarigumi, Jack and Perospero.

What do you mean by "Camp I-wanna-go-train", is this Udon you're talking about? How would you have felt if Luffy did no training at all before the raid and reached Yonko-level anyway? He started using advanced CoC because he realized Kaido was using the exact same technique that Luffy had been training to use in Udon, except with CoC instead of CoA.

Anyway, I've personally enjoyed Wano overall till now and it's okay if you don't like the arc, they're opinions at the end of the day. As an example, a lot of people hate Fishman Island but I thought it was a fairly good arc overall that did a decent job of setting up future plot lines for the rest of the story, as well as showing the Straw Hats' growth.
Asura not being explained is arguably better than the CoC which we do see what's needed to develop, and Zoro simply jumping past all that to use it without even knowing he had it. At least it's indicated in EL that Zoro & Sanji new about those abilities beforehand and purposefully chose to use them. On the other hand, the Wano one is like seeing all that it took for Luffy to get future sight, only for Chopper to develop future sight in the next arc without even knowing he had observation haki. Luffy said it himself, his ryuo attacks hurt Kaido but were too shallow and relatively so pointless that Kaido knocked him out once he got him in 1 on 1. Upon immediately applying CoC coating, a single hit could no longer knock him out and he could do far more damage than before. That's incomparable to EL where Luffy only needed Gear 2 & 3 which he had used beforehand to finish the job.

The EL fights also had far more tension, it's not even comparable. There was no one saying "I don't think we could possibly lose" or miracle pills to put people back in fighting shape, or powerful people stepping in to win the Strawhats' fights for them. Usopp also outright lost to Jyabura and was going to be killed before Sanji stepped in, and Nami & Zoro actually acted like that was the case. On the other hand, Usopp, Nami & Tama were making jokey crying faces when Big Mom was about to attack them. Every time a key was obtained it was emphasized how much further away Robin was getting. No one doubted for a moment that Luffy falling into the sea was a big issue, and it was immediately resolved the following chapter with his newfound telepathic abilities, killing any iota of tension. Zoro being wrapped in bandages was solved by a miracle pill for an instant fix back into fighting shape. Nami actually had to use her wits to overcome Kalifa's abilities and win instead of Big Mom showing up to do most of the work for her, or a sentient cloud finishing it for her because she missed on her own. The Sanji getting trapped is also tedious with how lazily it is set up, with Luffy & Jimbe just ignoring him and wasting time when it was obvious Sanji wouldn't be fighting Black Maria. It also showed no progress when we already knew since Ennie Lobby that Sanji accepted his friends working to their strengths, even telling Usopp to go do what he was good at. It was just an unnecessary & repetitive tool to find a way to delay Sanji's fight without allowing him to go to the rooftop to mess up the Supernova theme.

The Raid being successful is not the issue. The characters basically treating it like a walk in the park and even secondary characters getting beat up only to return multiple times is the issue.

The fact you even have to specify "first time around" for Kanjuro says it all. Does anyone actually think that Ashura Doji is actually dead at this point? Pulling a fake out with Luffy is an issue when no one is going to buy it anyone, so why even try? The fact that the sheer numbers of fakeout deaths surpass the EL one by far, and they didn't even wait till the main action was mostly underway just brutalizes the tension more than any other arc.

As for "Camp-i-wanna-go-train" the solutions are easy and multiple: don't put him in that situation in the first place. Training can still be done outside of prison in many ways since ryuo is a common concept in Wano anyway. There are many writing routes that could avoid that entire fiasco that was also overly long.

Everyone is certainly free to have their own opinion. At the end of the day it comes down to what someone cares most about for their enjoyment. Wano has simply not been anywhere near as enjoyable as an arc like EL with the blatant issues in plot and character implementations.

Last edited: