Questions & Mysteries Was the Sky split underwhelming ? Also was it retconned ?

Is the Sky split underwhelming ? Was it retconned ?

• Total voters
The sky split was first seen in chapter 434 between WB and Shanks and ever since we have been waiting to see Luffy do it.
When it happened this chapter i was a bit underwhelmed, i feel it may have been better for it to happen earlier although i know Oda is signaling this is the final battle.
I also think it would have been better for the attack to span the whole double spread instead of the tiny little corner it got. Is it just me?

Also the attacks of WB vs Shanks and Kaido vs BM had the attacks actually connect instead of the AdCoC not touching thingy, is this a retcon by Oda ?

The sky split was first seen in chapter 434 between WB and Shanks and ever since we have been waiting to see Luffy do it.
When it happened this chapter i was a bit underwhelmed, i feel it may have been better for it to happen earlier although i know Oda is signaling this is the final battle.
I also think it would have been better for the attack to span the whole double spread instead of the tiny little corner it got. Is it just me?

Also the attacks of WB vs Shanks and Kaido vs BM had the attacks actually connect instead of the AdCoC not touching thingy, is this a retcon by Oda ?

Its retcon i guess, the skysplitters touch back then but now when they're skysplitting then its a sign of good no-touch CoC Coating

You can make assumptions about the creative process or the depiction, but that has to keep in mind that depiction is intended to change once new information is revealed. What we see as Haki now couldn't look the same before Haki was revealed no matter how much thought was put into it at the time.

You can make assumptions about the creative process or the depiction, but that has to keep in mind that depiction is intended to change once new information is revealed. What we see as Haki now couldn't look the same before Haki was revealed no matter how much thought was put into it at the time.
At the same time, it is a disservice to Oda to imply a static creative process.

more underwhelming than zoro's asura, that's for sure.
the build up to it was cheap.
the clouds were never an issue before (except for carrot/wanda vs perospero because of big mom), oda asspulled it so luffy can split the skies.

My initial idea was :

A raid is about to take down Kaido so Kaido will fall in a team fight ,Luffy will grow to match up vs a yonko ( not alone still).

Then when Luffy faces Blackbeard we see the first sky splitting due Kaido fight making him go beyond.

Right now I just expect devil fruit shenanigans for the vs BB and I can't thinking a huge chunk of hype went to the drain.

So yes really underwhelming.I guess Oda will create another power above it

I've a criticism for this skysplitting and that is it's served to an actual purpose.

Yes, you heard it well, it served as a plot device.

The other two skysplittings were done just in order to showcase the immense strength of the Yonkos as if they were having a contest, they were pure hype and nothing more.

Here instead we got that the skysplitting isn't only a showcase, it actually served to a purpose because it was used as a tool for Inu and Neko to regain their Suulong form.
Hence why I felt that there was something off in this sky split, though I wouldn't say it was underwhelming