We Have Severely Underestimated Kanki

Was it really implied that the 6GG are ranked by seat number though?
No, the seating is essentially the order in which they were used as great generals.

Moubu - was the first one to be utilized as a GG
Tou - was the 2nd one to be utilized as a GG
YTW - was the 3rd one to get utilized as a GG
Ousen - led the big campaign with a GG under him, so essentially a GG
Kanki - one who wasn't, went last

Last edited:
Tbf he's also the only Q6 that could have pulled off the victory against Kochou.
It's impossible for us to know that, really.

While I personally regard Kan Ki's victory over Ko Chou as the #1 or #2 feat of generalship demonstrated in the manga thus far (Ou Sen's overall WZI victory being the other contender), I think it's important to keep in mind that, as impressive as Kan Ki taking on 240K with just 80K at 3:1 odds was, we've seen similar feats before:
  • Yo Tan Wa defeated a 171K army at close to 3:1 odds with just 60K starving troops,
  • Duke Hyou held back an invading 100K army led by Go Hou Mei with just 10K soldiers for 4 days at 10:1 odds
  • Tou held back a 50K Chu army around the same time and stalled them time with just 5K men, also at 10:1 odds
Kan Ki did his business, but it can't be understated how much heavy lifting 6GG talents like Shin, Ou Hon, Kyou Kai, Ka Ryo Ten and others such as A Ka Kin and Kan Jou contributed through delivering on such a crucial victory at Eikyuu (and none of the aforementioned feats involved that kind of firepower).

But to get back to the original point: I certainly disagree Kan Ki is the only one of the 6GG who could've won.

The way I see it, Kan Ki taking on Ko Chou in the manner and under the circumstances he did was a reflection of his character. To win that battle he took a meatgrinder approach by which he "buried many an enemy," though "many Qin livers were violently squandered".

It's not necessarily true none of the other 6GG could've won against Ko Chou. It is likely true none of them would take a battle with those odds if they could avoid it because (among many other reasons) they would never squander the lives of their own troops in the manner Kan Ki did for many reasons, I suspect not the least of which being sustainability.

Last edited:
Her becoming Da Shang Zhao was actually right after Coalition War. It was a reward for her involvement in the Battle of Sai.
You're right in that, but she didn't utilize it until post-State of Ai arc. I guess utilization of the title would've been a better way to put it rather than when attaining it.

Moubu -> Was doing GG things for Qin army already post-Coalition
Tou -> Started doing GG things after 7 fire dragons arc
Yotanwa -> Entered the wars of the central plains post-State of Ai arc as a GG

But yea the first one to actually attain the title was YTW, but was the 3rd to be utilized as one in the Qin army.

The promotion to Great General is a political function as much as it is a reflection of recognition, trust and honour.

Tou wasn't particularly better at WFD than he was at Coalition, or for that part, nor was he remarkably better at Coalition than he was when he first appeared on a battlefield at Bayou.

In his own words, Tou has always been strong. His skill warranted the appointment to Great General the day Ou Ki passed, but that's not how it worked out for him.

Also, similarly, Mou Bu was pulling of Great General feats of leadership at Bayou I find remarkable and truly overlooked, yet nevertheless warrant consideration for the argument Mou Bu was GG level as early as that arc.