General & Others What change to the series would make it significantly better?

Kill Luffy. That would be a moment like at the end of the 1st book of ASOIAF (Game of thrones) just like 1000 times heavier since in OP nobody dies and even less the 1100 chapters MC. And all the choices that can stem from that point. The reader for the first time would be lost and without the assurance that either way the good guys always win and the bad one lose. Also look at how good are these chapters without Luffy compared to Wano.

But of course it will never happen.
ASOIAF is also a series with multiple POV protagonists and all the killing of popular characters has lead the pacing of the series by the time of A Feast of Crows to be glacially slow because everything is just to set up Dany's invasion, which can't happen until the finale, so we get stuck with uninteresting plots to pad out the books like Quentyn Martel or the fake Aegon.

ASOIAF is also a series with multiple POV protagonists and all the killing of popular characters has lead the pacing of the series by the time of A Feast of Crows to be glacially slow because everything is just to set up Dany's invasion, which can't happen until the finale, so we get stuck with uninteresting plots to pad out the books like Quentyn Martel or the fake Aegon.
I read the books years and years ago but honestly I don't remember ever get bored while reading them. Either way the quality compared to One piece is like heaven and earth, sure the book can have his downsides one way or another but do you want to compare it with our single point of view of the choosen child with a ton of secondary characters but shallow and most of the time uninteresting. Then for sure manga and books are inherently different but I like way more ASOIAF set up comoared to this One piece.

The problem for me is, obviously, Martin not ending the books when he is not young anymore. It would be a shame to left them unconcluded (even if I don't plan to reread them all when the new book will eventually come out).

more team fights (especially with allies, looking at you raid on onigashima), the straw hats not being as strong, actual character deaths, less creepy sanji, more ass, more gay

Sir Tuna Sandwich II

SII - Sakazuki Incinerate Imu
Sanjino and ZoLo genderbend.
Make Usopp the MC and give him harem.
Luffy would be Usopp pet monkey.
No Chopper.
Jinbei is an actual dragon.
Brook is an actual Lich.