General & Others What exactly is world building?

I always thought as how big your world is.

For example Naruto has a small world that are only a few nations. Black Clover is even smaller but is expanding. DB had a small world too despite having the world of deads. DBZ expanded by much with another world's and time travel. DB GT to me was the bugger world building even more than Super Thrash.

HxH I think always had a big world since early on just like One Piece.

Its a lot. A whole lot. A story set in one village can have deeper world building that a story visiting multiple planets.

Religion/prayers/curse words
Foods/clothing/tools
Currency/economy/occupations
Wars/treaties/laws

Its anything and everything.

I like one pieces world building, it feels alive. But in the same way that i would never say its shallow, i also wouldnt say its very deep. Its about as deep as it gets as far as fiction though. I think one pieces world building is properly focused with little waste but it may be lacking if you want to get lost in the world.

Whats school like? Does the entire world use the belli system? What religions are there? Whats the citizen count of the world gov? Most lucrative imports and exports in the new world. Most popular jobs? Military strategies? Household name level authors? S

These things dont need to be told in one piece but there are definitely stories that let you know these things. A lot of one pieces world building is tossed aside into databooks though.

I always thought as how big your world is.

For example Naruto has a small world that are only a few nations. Black Clover is even smaller but is expanding. DB had a small world too despite having the world of deads. DBZ expanded by much with another world's and time travel. DB GT to me was the bugger world building even more than Super Thrash.

HxH I think always had a big world since early on just like One Piece.
Dargonball super is full on trash, that I can agree with you 100%

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Generally everything that is not character building, but the two overlap as well.

But for examples, the geography, the different political factions, DFs, Haki, the history of the world, details like Den Den Mushi and Vivre Cards, bounties, even fashion, that’s all world building.

Character building is fleshing out characters, their likes and dislikes, their appearance, why they do the things they do, their personality, their skills. People seem often to think that character building just consists of a character making a big change and that’s not true.

Then in some cases they interact. Robin being a major one. The reason hee character is the way it is is because of the world.

She lived in a world where their was a period of history hidden by the ruling government
Her parents researched this hidden period
There are things called DFs that give strange powers
Robin ate one

This combined leads to Robin being an lonely outcast to most of the island she kives, as she is considered a freak because of eating a DF, plus her family are gone. The only ones she likes are archeologists like her parents, so she becomes an archeologist, and that leads to etc etc.