Break Week What made Egg Head the best arc of PTS?

I believe there are several layers to this matter:

1. Pacing. We spent years in Wano and the battle against Kaido took many many chapters. It was refreshing to see the world turning upside down and many new ideas in few chapters.

2. Vegapunk. We waited many years to see him and, oh boy, all his dialogues were fire.

3. Callback to Ohara and the hype to Elbaf. Shaka's speech, Vegapunk's connections to Dragon and Ohara and Luffy finally deciding to go to the promised land Elbaf.

4. Yonko time. So amazing to see the big pirates in great showdowns. Blackbeard, Shanks!

5. Kuma's Flashback. So much emotion, finally understanding more about Godvalley and creating all tension for Bonney against Saturn.

Egghead arc is peak

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
For me, it is mainly 3 reasons.

We are fleshing out characters that are known to us and were mysterious for a major part of the story (Dragon, Revos, Kuma, Bonney, Kizaru, Gorosei, Sentoumaru). For me, i enjoy this a lot more than dealing with a bunch of new arc-only side characters. Since Egghead is like an extension of the plotlines in Thriller Bark & Sabaody.

There is new information dropped about a very hyped & teased Rox/God Valley plotline. Saturn feels like a solid villain & Imu is getting the spotlight as the Final Antagonist.

We also learn about Kuzan, Garp, while seeing Shanks, Blackbeard, Kidd & Law make moves. The setup seems exciting because the deadlock that existed between the previous, old era Yonko has been broken - by the events in Wano & with the abolishment of the Warlord system.
Its refreshing to see all these different factions which were simply present for so long, making their own moves.

- The fact that we are also seeing the outside world,and not only the Strawhats. Considering how One Piece evolved with time,with the Supernovas becoming very popular between the fans,and also the events of the world impacting more and more what happens to the SHs,it was something One Piece had to do,to also follow other events in parallel with the Strawhats events

-The fact that it is a direct sequel of what happened in 2010 in the Marineford arc. I follow One Piece weekly since 2009,during the Impel Down chapters,and,when Marineford ended,chapters like the ones of Egghead are exactly what i expected at the time,for the new arc after Marineford! I mean: Dr. Vegapunk,The New World,seeing Luffy's crew but also the Supernovas,Mihawk,Shanks,Blackbeard,Dragon etc. these were the characters i wanted to see! Instead,we "lost" 10 years devoted to the Filler Yonko Big Mom and Kaido. And,of course,we got great stuff with them too,but,when i read these Egghead chapters,they really have the "vibe" i was expecting One Piece to have right after Marineford. The only pirate i was already looking forward too in 2010,and we got it right after we entered in the New World,was Doflamingo,so i really approve what Oda did at the time,because i was waiting for Doffy since some time,and he gave it to me as one of the first villains of the post-timeskip! But,apart from that,only now with Egghead i am getting what i was expecting from One Piece back in 2010,right after Marineford.

-The fact that there is no stupid population to save

- Great ass shots

-Dr. Vegapunk and the lore behind the Devil Fruits

This was the main detriment of wano. Too much focus on mid characters like scabbards , tama etc. There was no need for orochi to even exist.
Honestly, all these were fine, and would've made Wano a masterpiece........IF Oda spent 50 more chapters on the arc tying up the plotpoints he introduced instead of abandoning them midway.

I wasn't in forums back in the days, so not sure if agenda posters hated Wano in beginning itself.
But I was, while growing a bit impatient slowly, moreso waiting eagerly to see how Oda would handle these characters, how he would tie up each of their plot points together in the end, what was Kaido's backstory, what was King's backstory, how did BP form, etc etc.

What we got in the end was abandoning of several plotlines and ruining of tons of characters.
Wano ended up being amongst the worst arcs in shounen, and certainly the worst arc in OP

Which arc would you say it's the best in the time skip then?
Dresrossa is the best IMO, due to above point.

Dresrossa, like Wano, introduced tons of characters.
But Oda didn't end it all abruptly or abandon plotpoints, ended up tying a lot of things together actually. And had the best character/villain that Oda created, starring the arc - Doflamingo.

Egghead, I would say, is the most eventful arc in post TS tho.
Lots of characters that we had been waiting for, finally started moving and taking action. We get to see the world more, instead of being SH focused.

Honestly, all these were fine, and would've made Wano a masterpiece........IF Oda spent 50 more chapters on the arc tying up the plotpoints he introduced instead of abandoning them midway.

I wasn't in forums back in the days, so not sure if agenda posters hated Wano in beginning itself.
But I was, while growing a bit impatient slowly, moreso waiting eagerly to see how Oda would handle these characters, how he would tie up each of their plot points together in the end, what was Kaido's backstory, what was King's backstory, how did BP form, etc etc.

What we got in the end was abandoning of several plotlines and ruining of tons of characters.
Wano ended up being amongst the worst arcs in shounen, and certainly the worst arc in OP

Dresrossa is the best IMO, due to above point.

Dresrossa, like Wano, introduced tons of characters.
But Oda didn't end it all abruptly or abandon plotpoints, ended up tying a lot of things together actually. And had the best character/villain that Oda created, starring the arc - Doflamingo.

Egghead, I would say, is the most eventful arc in post TS tho.
Lots of characters that we had been waiting for, finally started moving and taking action. We get to see the world more, instead of being SH focused.
Great points.
I believe Dressrosa was good, better than what most people say.
Tontatta tough are shit, and Usopp betrying them breaks my heart. At the same time I love Boundoman.

Could Egghead pass Dressrosa in the end, in your opinion?

Why do you always have to have such extreme opinions.
For example, Egghead pacing is much better than Dressrosa's.
Hmmm... I'm not so sure.

Egghead is a mess of hype fights without any meaningful reason. Dressrosa fights had more purpose.

The robot x robot sea king fight was meaningless.

The Lucci vs Luffy fight was just fanservice for Vegapunk(lol).

The Seraphim vs Strawhats fight was just hype tool for Seraphims.

I can't see much reason on Luffy vs Kizaru fight so far.

Great points.
I believe Dressrosa was good, better than what most people say.
Tontatta tough are shit, and Usopp betrying them breaks my heart. At the same time I love Boundoman.

Could Egghead pass Dressrosa in the end, in your opinion?
Egghead has the potential to top Dresrossa, if Oda doesn't fumble in the end.

Contrary to what many are saying about how great and evil Saturn is, I am feeling it is kinda forced.
Gorosei were obviously gonna be villains in endgame, but they were previously always portrayed as more wise and diplomatic figures, who would rather keep not choose violence unless their govt is directly threatened.
- didn't show outward hostility to regular humans (in the past)
- expressed regret at what happened in Ohara, gave an out for civilians (who Akainu killed anyway)
- expressed concern at civilian casualties in Lulucia

I think Oda is trying too much to made Kuma as synpathetic as possible, and Saturn as detestable as possible.
Feels a bit like Charlos. But it worked for Charlos IMO, because he was just introduced as a spoiled scumbag, instead of a wise philosopher like man.
Obviously, there was obviously more to Gorosei than what meets the eye. But at least, they were supposed to play the part of diplomatic leaders outwardly, even if deep down they looked down on the regular humans. I mean, saying humans are insect to the face of a VA.....the optics of that.....

Anyway, my issue with Saturn aside. The way I see egghead, is the "glue" arc of the final saga.
This arc's role is to introduce and hype/buiildup the major players in the final saga, to connect them in an organic way to fit into the rest of the final saga.
Which is some of what Oda has done so far:
- Shanks taking out Kidd, getting poneglyphs
- Blackbeard taking out Law, getting poneglyphs
- BBP/Aokiji taking out Garp, build of Coby
- building up Imu through destroying Lulucia
- building up Marco/Weevil plotline
- Cross Guild introducing bounty for marines

What I hope from the rest of the arc:

- a major win by the BBP infiltrating Egghead: Let's be really honest, BBP hype is in the gutter. Yes they got wins, but wins that made them look kinda weak. I have far less hype in BBP now, than I had pre Egghead
BBP need a really good hype moment, and a major addition to their power. I say, BBP get York and builds something, does forcibly shenanigans to awaken DFs (at a cost maybe). Let's also hype up Lafitte by having him take down Jinbe or something.

- a major hype moment for Dragon and a big power play by the revos. Kinda self explanatory, they need it.

- Cross Guild getting a massive win, Mihawk getting a real hype moment.
Cross Guild is a YONKO crew, came out of nowhere to become one of the major players. But Mihawk aside (who himself is in dire need of feats/hype) and Crocodile (assuming retcon in power), they are fodder.
Oda has to justify their position as a Yonko crew, justify the need for introducing a Yonko crew out of the blue (aside from Buggy memes).
My suggestion is, have Cross Guild get hold of the final road poneglyph, them making them the key wildcard in the race to PK. Have Cross guild invade Impel down and get the level 6 prisoners including Doflamingo, while get Mihawk his power play (I'd have him take out an admiral and slice ID in half after freeing prisoners). Have CG recruit Boa (through Buggy/Rayleigh connections), Moria (through Mihawk/Perona connections), Weevil (cuz why not).
Addition of shichibukai and level 6 prisoners, would make Cross Guild go from the weak crew it currently is, to arguably the strongest Yonko crew ever.

What I want from above, is to have a real feel that the three factors are forces to be reckoned with. I want to feel that these could guy really shake things up, if push comes to shove. That they have a real shot to achieve their goals.
Rather than feel like just figures to be taken out sooner or later to further the plot.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure.

Egghead is a mess of hype fights without any meaningful reason. Dressrosa fights had more purpose.

The robot x robot sea king fight was meaningless.

The Lucci vs Luffy fight was just fanservice for Vegapunk(lol).

The Seraphim vs Strawhats fight was just hype tool for Seraphims.

I can't see much reason on Luffy vs Kizaru fight so far.
There must be something else about eggheads outside of fights? Or is it only fights that matter to you?
Post automatically merged:

Egghead has the potential to top Dresrossa, if Oda doesn't fumble in the end.

Contrary to what many are saying about how great and evil Saturn is, I am feeling it is kinda forced.
Gorosei were obviously gonna be villains in endgame, but they were previously always portrayed as more wise and diplomatic figures, who would rather keep not choose violence unless their govt is directly threatened.
- didn't show outward hostility to regular humans (in the past)
- expressed regret at what happened in Ohara, gave an out for civilians (who Akainu killed anyway)
- expressed concern at civilian casualties in Lulucia

I think Oda is trying too much to made Kuma as synpathetic as possible, and Saturn as detestable as possible.
Feels a bit like Charlos. But it worked for Charlos IMO, because he was just introduced as a spoiled scumbag, instead of a wise philosopher like man.
Obviously, there was obviously more to Gorosei than what meets the eye. But at least, they were supposed to play the part of diplomatic leaders outwardly, even if deep down they looked down on the regular humans. I mean, saying humans are insect to the face of a VA.....the optics of that.....

Anyway, my issue with Saturn aside. The way I see egghead, is the "glue" arc of the final saga.
This arc's role is to introduce and hype/buiildup the major players in the final saga, to connect them in an organic way to fit into the rest of the final saga.
Which is some of what Oda has done so far:
- Shanks taking out Kidd, getting poneglyphs
- Blackbeard taking out Law, getting poneglyphs
- BBP/Aokiji taking out Garp, build of Coby
- building up Imu through destroying Lulucia
- building up Marco/Weevil plotline
- Cross Guild introducing bounty for marines

What I hope from the rest of the arc:

- a major win by the BBP infiltrating Egghead: Let's be really honest, BBP hype is in the gutter. Yes they got wins, but wins that made them look kinda weak. I have far less hype in BBP now, than I had pre Egghead
BBP need a really good hype moment, and a major addition to their power. I say, BBP get York and builds something, does forcibly shenanigans to awaken DFs (at a cost maybe). Let's also hype up Lafitte by having him take down Jinbe or something.

- a major hype moment for Dragon and a big power play by the revos. Kinda self explanatory, they need it.

- Cross Guild getting a massive win, Mihawk getting a real hype moment.
Cross Guild is a YONKO crew, came out of nowhere to become one of the major players. But Mihawk aside (who himself is in dire need of feats/hype) and Crocodile (assuming retcon in power), they are fodder.
Oda has to justify their position as a Yonko crew, justify the need for introducing a Yonko crew out of the blue (aside from Buggy memes).
My suggestion is, have Cross Guild get hold of the final road poneglyph, them making them the key wildcard in the race to PK. Have Cross guild invade Impel down and get the level 6 prisoners including Doflamingo, while get Mihawk his power play (I'd have him take out an admiral and slice ID in half after freeing prisoners). Have CG recruit Boa (through Buggy/Rayleigh connections), Moria (through Mihawk/Perona connections), Weevil (cuz why not).
Addition of shichibukai and level 6 prisoners, would make Cross Guild go from the weak crew it currently is, to arguably the strongest Yonko crew ever.

What I want from above, is to have a real feel that the three factors are forces to be reckoned with. I want to feel that these could guy really shake things up, if push comes to shove. That they have a real shot to achieve their goals.
Rather than feel like just figures to be taken out sooner or later to further the plot.
I share the "forcefullness" of Saturn, but i see his caring about life more as a "why bother" than a respect for life.
I have a feeling cross guild exists only for 2 reasons:
Have buggy be pirate king in the end while Luffy achieves his true goals.
Give a reason to Mihawk to be where Zoro is at the end of the story.
Otherwise, i don't think they will have the fourth poigne gliffe.