Questions & Mysteries What makes Shanks > Mihawk?

They ask if it's a sword, and Oda doesn't say it's not a sword, naginata is considered as a sword, he says it's one of the 12 grade swords.

• European Longsword
  • Great sword
  • bastard sword
  • short sword
  • Japanese katana
  • naginata
  • kukri knives
  • etc. etc.

Now there are playing for technicality. :milaugh:

How can mihawk be the greatest swordsman, if his opponent is better than him just because they are using a different blade than he is using? He couldn't.

The guy used KNIFE, to prove that he is the superior swordsman against Zoro.

Then; mihawk wasn't a swordsman when he fought Pre-TS Zoro, because he used KNIFE.???

It doesn't make any sense right? The guy used knife, because we all know as far as the blades concerned it's the same thing.

You guys really don't know what you are talking about, and you are in denial. :whitepress:

They ask if it's a sword, and Oda doesn't say it's not a sword, naginata is considered as a sword, he says it's one of the 12 grade swords.

• European Longsword
  • Great sword
  • bastard sword
  • short sword
  • Japanese katana
  • naginata
  • kukri knives
  • etc. etc.

How can mihawk be the greatest swordsman, if his opponent is better than him just because they are using a different blade than he is using? He couldn't.

Then; mihawk wasn't a swordsman when he fought Pre-TS Zoro, because he used KNIFE.???

It doesn't make any sense right? The guy used knife, because we all know as far as the blades concerned it's the same thing.

You guys really don't know what you are talking about, and you are in denial. :whitepress:
Go ask Stephen Paul, he'll tell you the difference.

When Kaido wanted to go to Marineford Shanks walked up to him, and that was the end of it.

When Akainu and Blackbeard wanted to let loose at Marineford Shanks walked up to them, and that was the end of it.

When Mihawk walked up to Shanks, Shanks asked him if he's looking for a fight, and Mihawk wanted none of it.

When Shanks walked up to Marineford and said he will take on any challenge, Mihawk walked away from it.

Only Whitebeard tried to have a go at Shanks, and their clash split the sky in half. Mihawk having a go at Whitebeard got cut short by Jozu, and he had to settle with a duel against Vista.

That's how these people get to keep these titles. When Shanks shows up, they don't want no beef :milaugh:

Zoro wasn't a swordsman here just because he used a KNIFE. :suresure: Knifesman Zoro, not Swordsman.

Nice escape though, Whitebeard is not a swordsman because he is not using the same type of blade that mihawk is using, but mihawk is a cheater as well, because he used a KNIFE against swordsman Zoro, he should've used the same type of sword otherwise it doesn't count. :goyea:
Knivesmanship might be a thing too for all we know.

The only thing that matters is training a tool. A sword is just a tool.

You can think of 1000 styles and make them happen. Doesn't change the fact that strongest swordsman refers to strongest individual who is a swordsman either, for the simple reason in no fiction the word doesn't represent the whole individual. A skill-wise distinction is literally never made. Although I admit it would have been feasible otherwise.

• European Longsword
  • Great sword
  • bastard sword
  • short sword
  • Japanese katana
  • naginata
  • kukri knives
  • etc. etc.

I think there is a little bit of confusion because of inconsistencies while translating. (Sometimes even on the same page, the words which are used change around).
Here, it goes from "21 excellent-grade swords" to "21 excellent-grade weapons".
So is it weapons or swords?
Well if you look at the kanji for "To", you get 刀 which can mean blade and has been translated as such in the past as well.

So you have graded weapons which are all "blades" (刀).
Among these blades, as Hitetsu explains. You have "swords" (剣) and other weapons such as "spears" (槍).

Had we gone with the assumption that "To" (刀) meant sword and not blade. We would have gotten to the conclusion that swords are a subset of swords (Which does not make sense).

So there are Famed blades and among these blades: we have swords, spears, etc.
So Mihawk's title related to the strongest sword (剣) user does not relate to Whitebeard since he doesn't use a sword (剣).

You could ask a translator or something to see if this makes any sense, but even in the original raw panels (as far as I know), Hitetsu calls them weapons "武器" sometimes and blades other times.

I'll try to make a list based on my view.

- WSS title put Mihawk above Shanks

- Yonkou the most powerful pirate title, put Shanks above Mihawk

- iceberg cut feat put Mihawk above Shanks

- magma parry + preaching put Shanks above Mihawk

- Seaking put Mihawk above Shanks defensively

- Moby Dick and Akainu sweating put Shanks above Mihawk by overall haki (having CoC influence over someone depict overall level gap)

- fashion awareness put Mihawk above Shanks

- voice actor put Shanks above Mihawk

I'm favoring preaching Akainu to cold sweat compared to iceberg cut, i favor Kaidou-WB-BM as Shanks' peers, and also i favor CoC owner as benefit of doubt, so i say those are the reason i favor Shanks overall

I'll try to make a list based on my view.

- WSS title put Mihawk above Shanks

- Yonkou the most powerful pirate title, put Shanks above Mihawk

- iceberg cut feat put Mihawk above Shanks

- magma parry + preaching put Shanks above Mihawk

- Seaking put Mihawk above Shanks defensively

- Moby Dick and Akainu sweating put Shanks above Mihawk by overall haki (having CoC influence over someone depict overall level gap)

- fashion awareness put Mihawk above Shanks

- voice actor put Shanks above Mihawk

I'm favoring preaching Akainu to cold sweat compared to iceberg cut, i favor Kaidou-WB-BM as Shanks' peers, and also i favor CoC owner as benefit of doubt, so i say those are the reason i favor Shanks overall
The thing is the title of WSS nullifies all the points in Shanks' favor and I mean canonically.

There are also the speeches where Mihawk stats Shanks would fail to be a match to him on top of it.

These few elements are too important to dismiss Mihawk > Shanks despite Shanks showed something better in peculiar aspects.

The only delusion I see is that thinking Shanks as a swordsman only and nothing more when you didn't even see how the guy even fights :milaugh: And hyping poor mihawk over this delusion called knowing every skill of Yonko Shanks, which is completely baseless.

Especially funny when mihawk didn't even beat Pre-Yonko Shanks before. :suresure:

At best you can argue Pre-Yonko Shanks (who mihawk never beat) = mihawk.

Yonko Shanks > Pre-Yonko Shanks = mihawk.

Pre-Yonko Shanks vs mihawk won't be like Kaido v Oden, believe in that, mihawk never even beat weaker Pre-Yonko Shanks.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
The only delusion I see is that thinking Shanks as a swordsman only and nothing more when you didn't even see how the guy even fights :milaugh: And hyping poor mihawk over this delusion called knowing every skill of Yonko Shanks, which is completely baseless.

Especially funny when mihawk didn't even beat Pre-Yonko Shanks before. :suresure:

At best you can argue Pre-Yonko Shanks (who mihawk never beat) = mihawk.

Yonko Shanks > Pre-Yonko Shanks = mihawk.

Pre-Yonko Shanks vs mihawk won't be like Kaido v Oden, believe in that, mihawk never even beat weaker Pre-Yonko Shanks.
Fake translation

When Kaido wanted to go to Marineford Shanks walked up to him, and that was the end of it.

When Akainu and Blackbeard wanted to let loose at Marineford Shanks walked up to them, and that was the end of it.

When Mihawk walked up to Shanks, Shanks asked him if he's looking for a fight, and Mihawk wanted none of it.

When Shanks walked up to Marineford and said he will take on any challenge, Mihawk walked away from it.

Only Whitebeard tried to have a go at Shanks, and their clash split the sky in half. Mihawk having a go at Whitebeard got cut short by Jozu, and he had to settle with a duel against Vista.

That's how these people get to keep these titles. When Shanks shows up, they don't want no beef :milaugh:
Mihawk don't want to fight a 1 armed man also a true swordsman only cuts what they want to cut

So ? Maybe they were equal back then but then Shanks lost an arm and has been below Hawkgod ever since.
when Shanks and Mihawk stopped fighting

Mihawk became a warlord, stop dueling fodders and SOMETIMES MAYBE some high tiers and went to his island farming
it's not even a joke ... he was a farmer in past few years

while .... Shanks went to be a Yonko , clashing and fighting in COUNTLESS WARS ..... with Prime beard , Kaido and Big Mom
he didn't became a Yonko and kept his title by asking nicely
while I'm sure soon some of you will deny this alos

I doubt Mihawk ever been active in more than a single war and that's Marineford

Shanks might have been weaker than Mihawk in few years after losing his arm
but surly becoming a Yonko give him more power ups to surpass Mihawk

p.s
not to mention we can't even be sure Shanks HAD Advance CoC back then which I HIGHLY DOUBT

while .... Shanks went to be a Yonko , clashing and fighting in COUNTLESS WARS ..... with Prime beard , Kaido and Big Mom
he didn't became a Yonko and kept his title by asking nicely
while I'm sure soon some of you will deny this alos
Yup,

And we know that the Haki improves by extreme use in battles by facing the stronger opponents. Shanks fights with the best; Kaido, Whitebeard etc., mihawk fights with fodders Don Krieg, Pre-TS Luffy, and Vista who is weaker than Marco.