Questions & Mysteries What would Blackbeard think of Oden?

Blackbeard and Oden share an unusual amount of similarities and probably got to know each other well back in the day. It's even possible Blackbeard's life plans were influenced by what he saw from Oden's path. Regardless, I doubt we'll ever get Blackbeard's thoughts on Oden unless he becomes an active player in the Wano arc. Here are a few observations:

- Oden was the first person to turn on Whitebeard and jump ship that we know of. Blackbeard becomes the second person to do this. But BB did this in a sinister manner, breaking WB's iron rule and ultimately betraying the family and becoming their villain.

- Oden displayed enough potential to take over Whitebeard's position when he aged and got sick, a possibility the Marines accused Whitebeard of doing by grooming Ace to be his replacement. Even if Whitebeard died in Marineford, he feels some level of comfort in Ace growing up to protect and lead the family. Blackbeard eventually usurped Whitebeard, taking his power and most of his territories, essentially his position in the world.

- Oden as part of the Roger Pirates was one of the pioneers who found One Piece. Blackbeard left Whitebeard because he also aspires to find One Piece. For both characters, Whitebeard was an obstacle who kept them from fully realizing this dream.

- Oden can read the Poneglyphs, knows ancient Kozuki family history, and must have deciphered the Rio Poneglyph. Blackbeard's hobby is archaeology according to the SBS. The biggest archaeological mystery of his age is what happened during the Void Century and the Poneglyphs, which may be part of why Blackbeard is so motivated to find One Piece. Blackbeard may currently posses a method to read Poneglyphs if he truly hopes to be a Pirate King contender.

- Oden and Blackbeard both scarred a current Yonkou. Okay, you can just ignore this one.

What do you think? Could Oden have served as a possible role model for young Blackbeard? Was he a distant admirer or did he see Oden like he does Luffy? If you think of Oden as a Samurai Luffy, then Blackbeard was established as the anti-Luffy the moment he started eating cherry pies. If the connection becomes apparent and strong enough, is this a good enough reason to thematically connect Blackbeard to Wano and have him show up in surprise at the last minute?

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
If Teach was already a part of Newgate's crew back then, then he would've been 10. Approximately how he's depicted here.

I don't know if he admired Oden back then, but given Oden was a big dreamer, it's possible young Teach took up the wrong lessons about achieving them. Maybe he wasn't there to see Oden sacrifice his chance at adventure for someone else, and only considered the idea of following your dreams to be only thing that matters. Even if it leads to you betraying anyone in your path, including those who consider you a kin.

If Teach was already a part of Newgate's crew back then, then he would've been 10. Approximately how he's depicted here.

I don't know if he admired Oden back then, but given Oden was a big dreamer, it's possible young Teach took up the wrong lessons about achieving them. Maybe he wasn't there to see Oden sacrifice his chance at adventure for someone else, and only considered the idea of following your dreams to be only thing that matters. Even if it leads to you betraying anyone in your path, including those who consider you a kin.
It has beem stated Blackbeard joined Whitebeard's crew at age 16, six years from where we are in the current flashback.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
It has beem stated Blackbeard joined Whitebeard's crew at age 16, six years from where we are in the current flashback.
Are you referring to this?

Because that doesn't specify he joined 24 years ago from the current timeline, but that he was at least a member already back then. He could've joined earlier than that.

The timeline is much tighter than I thought. Blackbeard joined WB's crew no later than 24 years ago (there is no exact date), Roger was executed 24 years ago, Oden was executed 20 years ago.

These two very influential men might have completely missed each other by as little as a year. I guess we'll know for sure next chapter.

But it's not as if Blackbeard never heard of Oden. I'm sure he got sick of hearing about Oden in drinking stories from the rest of the crew. And surely they all read about his final accomplishments in newspapers.