Current Events When's the last time you felt danger for the Straw Hats

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Sabaody is literally the only time in the story where we had no fucking clue what was going to become of Luffy’s crew (and the captain himself) and there were real ramifications for the protagonists that wouldn’t be resolved in a tidy manner. As magnificent as Marineford was, there was still an underlying sense of foreboding, because however Luffy survived the war, getting everyone back together in one place was going to be difficult. Nothing in this series before or after the moment when Kuma sent the Straw Hats flying has been as consequential, to be honest.

The only time I really felt tension in a chapter was in 1015, when Kaido defeated Luffy and descended into the dome. It's the only Wano chapter that deserves a 5-star rating, after building tension into Kin'emon's "death" and insinuating that Kaido would hunt all the scabbards and straw hats in the dome.

Unfortunately, in the next chapter, all the tension is gone, and I go back to reading Wano with a complete lack of sense of danger.

Brutally honest?

Back in Enies Lobby, when I was still a teen.

After reading that saga even the last fans should've realized that if you are looking for consequences, OP simply isn't the manga for you.

Ace's death in Marineford was the one and only pleasant exception (WB's death was always blatantly obvious).

Everyone knows that Oda would NEVER kill one of the SHs, so why feeling any thrill/danger?

I knew beforehand the SHs would likely never have died before at least achieving their dreams but one is not always sure either yet still :cheers:

Pre-time skip:Sabaody was pretty hardcore.Whole cake island had its moment but it doesn't compare. Oda wasted a huge opportunity in Wano. If he actually killed a few characters the raid would have looked different. Ulti beating the crap out of Ussop and Nami was a nice touch,but not enough.

Rottkins

✯ ✧ 𝔾 𝕠 𝕕 𝕠 𝕗 𝕃 𝕚 𝕖 𝕤 ✧ ✯
I think it would be Marineford in the moment when Ace just died and Luffy was vulnerable and open for any attack, especially from Akainu

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Sabaody's the correct answer, dealing with Kuma and Kizaru was way above their pay grades.

Fishman Island, Punk Hazard and Dressrosa were basically the SHs barely being challenged and WCI had way too much plot convenience for me to think anything bad would happen to them. In Wano, the SHs themselves don't even care that Luffy's a prisoner.
First part of WCI was intense
Brix?

You can still feel danger even knowing that the Strawhats won't die. Figuring out the "how" of getting out of it should be what provides the feeling.

The last time I felt danger for the Strawhats was WCI. Perospero having them trapped, leaving no other option but for Pedro to blow himself up was the last time Oda surprised me in such a situation. Even if Oda pulls some bullshit and Pedro is shown living the dream escaping WCI like it's no big deal, it won't change that I genuinely felt tense and shocked in that moment.

Pre-TS: Sabaody, Impel Down, and Marineford are the most intense arcs for me. I felt a bit danger during Thriller Bark (during their encounter with Kuma), but Sabaody/Impel Down/Marineford felt a lot more dangerous.

Post-TS: Barely felt any danger for the Straw Hats. WCI had a bit of intense moments, but it's nothing compared to any pre-TS arc I've mentioned.