General & Others Which Of These Animators is the Best in your opinion?

Which one is this best?

• Total voters

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Mommy Fubuki!
โ€Ž
All of them are amazing in their own ways.

But if I were to make a list:
1. Mori (that Yamato scene was straight up movie quality)
2. Ishizuka
3. Ota
4. Kojima
5. Shida (his animation is nice for a brief second but not as a long term imo, so he's at the bottom for this list)

But again, all of them are astonishing in their own styles. Btw, where is Tu Yong Ce?

i want to say mori but I wish you would have shown more

so it's either shida or more. Shida apparently is responsible for greatness. That telephone pole scene in marineford was pure hypeness.

props to Ota though for making trash kid looking kind of menacing.

Careful.

Because here, what drives the emotion and the impacts of some of the shots are not the animation but the direction and the storyboard.

I'm talking primary here about the shots of Masami Mori who are in fact animations directed by Megumi Ishitani who is THE BEST director of One Piece and probably one of the best (if not the best) director Toei has EVER employed.

Now let's dive into the shots (I can only judge on what I see here for now), I will give them a note from 0 to 5 :

Ishizuka animations here are pretty still, what stands out are the effect and the shots angles. Personnally I'm not a fan of huge effects in One Piece and because this isn't real animation pieces I will give a : 1/5

Edit: Upon watching more of their content, I think their style deserve at least a 2.5

Mori is a little bit better. There is some awesome hair animations here, but again, it's pretty much still shots with key frames on Luffy (at least for this shot) Like you can see, Mori's style shine under Ishitani's direction, on the shot of Marco, it's pretty much pale in comparison. That's said, their lines are awesome and they have really great shapes.

But this is an animation comparison so I give them a : 2/5

Shida is a really great animator, but his style too often revolves around the logic of fluids. To animate a fluid scene like the one here, it's awesome, but to animate a real choregraphy it's not that amazing. Of course his shapes are very creative but his animation is too redondant, I find myself sometime a bit dissapointed by his sections. Now, we have to note that Shida's style is the most notable one out of all the one here because of it's relationship to the logic of fluids. I will gave him a 3/5 in this competition.

Ota's animation are also great, and like Shida, they ahve their own style. But instead of the logic of fluids it's something more messy, more distorded with plenty of motion smears. The result is a vivid style. The problem is that this style to stay coherent must rely a lot on effects, rapidity and colors. It's good, but in short periods of times for impact shots or great moves. Because of that, I give Ota a 3/5

Now, the best for me here: Takashi Kojima.

You will quickly notice that their style differ in everything from Shida and Ota, very much less smear motions, less distortions. Their style is in fact pretty calm, but everything lies in the precision which takes the animation (at least for me) to another level. Here, the motion of the character is the stars, his place in the shot, his passage from foreground to background.

For me it's almost perfect. I give this a 4/5

Let's watch that sequence more in detail shall we?

Kojima is therefore the winner here, but let's not forget other amazing animators:

The amazing work of Koudai Watanabe on the Luffy VS Katakuri fight

Or

Ryo Onishi

Or

Naoki Tate

Last edited:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
โ€Ž
Shida works well in specific scenes, like if there are fluids in the scene. The Luffy vs 3 Admirals was peak hype thanks to his style. Overall though he doesn't suit One Piece as much as let's say dragonball with all the power ups and flying around going on.

Mori is right on the money with One Piece art. That's how an S tier One Piece animation is done without straying too far from the manga's aesthetic. (Kojima is similar in this sense)

Ota's style doesn't flow with the rest of the series, even though the animation is bonkers. The designs start drifting away from the source material.

Ishizuka is a bit too flashy...but man that shit looks good.

Nikuzi

โš“๐’ซ๐’พ๐“‡๐’ถ๐“‰๐‘’ ๐’ฌ๐“Š๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐‘’๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Šโš“
โ€Ž
If you wanted to make things interesting you would include Chansard as well.

Chansard is absolutely bonkers as well.
Chansard is absolutely godly. If he was included I would have picked him.