Others Who? How? Why? - Case #1: The Case of The Jewelry Thief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setup and Rules
I

Indigo

-- Please refrain from posting if you're not one of the players! --

Welcome to my experimental game Detectives!

Here's the setup and the rules:

• There's going to be a case that needs to be solved, some kind of mystery regarding a crime, it can be theft, murder, kidnapping, etc.
  • The case is going to have a number of questions that need to be answered by the players. Questions such as "Who did it?", "Why they did it?", "How they did it?" and "Where is the hidden murder weapon?".
  • To answer these questions, the players will have to collect clues that are scattered in 14 different locations of the city.
  • Each Round (24 hours) will have two phases, the first one is the Actions Phase (12 hours) and the second one is the Movement Phase (12 hours). During the Actions Phase players will be able to submit actions from their role in their Role PM to the Host, and also interact with any events happening in the game thread. After that, once the Movement Phase starts, players will submit the location they want to visit openly in the game thread by saying Visit X and the Host will send the corresponding clue of that location to their Role PM. At the end of the Movement Phase the Host will post an updated Visit Counter, showing which players has visited which locations.
  • The Host can decide to end a phase earlier if he notices that every player has already submitted their actions (during the Actions Phase) or the locations they are going to visit (during the Movement Phase).
  • Clues can be straight facts from the case, charades, minigames that will give you an answer and anything really, so it's up to the player to collect them and make sense of them.
  • If there are any minigames or charades, most of the time the player only has to do a quick google search to solve it, nothing crazy.
  • Once the player thinks they have the correct answer for all the questions based on the collected clues, they may submit them in their Role PM. They can fail once, getting a response from the Host of just "Wrong", even if they get almost all the answers correctly. If they get it wrong two times, they are removed from the game. If they get all the answers correctly first, they win and the game is over.
  • Each player will be given a role based on a famous detective from fiction and will be granted abilities associated with that character. Some abilities help the player solve the case, some help the player stop other players from solving it first and some help the players protect themselves from other players.
  • On each Actions Phase (12 hours) the player can submit one action. Those actions will show up in the game thread as Write Ups, but on the name of your role, not the player. That way players won't know who is doing what until the end of the game. Or if they can figure them out with their own actions or by the power of deduction.
  • There will be no claiming or hinting of your roles, abilities, clues you've gotten or any special events in your Role PM. Also, just like mafia, don't quote anything from the Role PM straight up.
  • In the actual game thread it will be allowed to discuss the case, theorize, even manipulate other players to visit locations by saying stuff like "The clue on the library is really good", but you can't outright say anything about what's on a location such as "If you want a clue about the murderer, visit the hotel". Of course, shit posting and fluffing is allowed and encouraged. You're also allowed to tell the truth or bluff about your progress, saying something like "I think i got the answer for three of the questions, there's only one left, i need to find that clue".
  • After the roles are sent, players can't talk about their roles or communicate with each other about the game outside of the main game thread.
  • Players may not edit their messages in this thread, double post if needed.
  • If any player breaks any of these rules, they will be removed from the game.
  • Players won't be killed in this game, the only way they can be removed from the game is by breaking the rules or answering the questions wrong multiple times.
  • Sometimes, even if you have a basic idea of the correct answers, you can still get it wrong. Because to win you have to submit answers to all the questions that are exactly right, word by word, or so incredibly similar that the Host will decide.
There are three main conditions a player can be hit with:
  • Stunned: A stunned player can't use any of his abilities during the Actions Phase, think of it like a Role Block, passives will still be functional though.
  • Stopped: A stopped player can't visit any locations during the Movement Phase, so they won't get any clues that phase.
  • Silenced: A silecend player can't submit their answers for the case questions, even if they have it all completely right, they need to wait for the silence condition to fade to submit their answers.
Finally, clues will come in different types and you as the player will have to figure them out, but, there's one type of clue that are considered essential. These clues will help you figure out the exact wording expected for the answers and here's how they work:

What was the weapon of the murder? - Clue II (of 2)
-- [Naruto] Jiraiya once taught Naruto a jutsu called Rasen___.

This clue is telling you a few things:
  • That this is an essential clue for the "What was the weapon of the murder?" question
  • That it's the second clue for that question with the "II"
  • and it's telling you that there are 2 clues out there for this question with the "of 2"
so you already have the second one and you need the first one. Now, the answer to this clue would be "gan" right? now, here's an example of the first clue:

What was the weapon of the murder? - Clue I (of 2)
-- [Naruto] All Akatsuki members paint their ______ in a different color.

Obviously, the answer here is nails.

Now, putting together this first clue with the second one from before, you get:

nails + gan

Nails Gun or Nail Gun would be the correct answer here. So you see? sometimes the clue doesn't give you the exact word, but they can give you a phonetically similar word. Sometimes it's possible to deduce the entire answer with just one of the clues, sometimes you might need to find them all to get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit Counter
I

Indigo

Visit Counter

By Location:

Carriage Station - 7 ( Joygirl, Pot Goblin, Flower, Ratchet, Charlie, Fujishiro, Dr_Professor83 )
Theater - 5 ( Charlie, Ratchet, Dr_Professor83, Joygirl, Pot Goblin )
Docks - 5
( Pot Goblin, Dr_Professor83, Charlie, Flower, Ratchet )
Park - 5 ( Flower, Ratchet, Dr_Professor83, Joygirl, Charlie )
Bar - 5 ( Fujishiro, Pot Goblin, Dr_Professor83, Flower, Joygirl )
Hotel - 5 ( Charlie, Flower, Joygirl, Dr_Professor83, Fujishiro )
University - 4 ( Charlie, Dr_Professor83, Flower, Fujishiro )
Pharmacy - 4 ( Dr_Professor83, Fujishiro, Charlie, Joygirl )
Museum - 4 ( Ratchet, Fujishiro, Charlie, Pot Goblin )
Scotland Yard - 4 ( Joygirl, Flower, Fujishiro, Charlie )
Pawn Shop - 4 ( Joygirl, Dr_Professor83, Pot Goblin, Flower )
Bank - 3 ( Flower, Fujishiro, Pot Goblin )
Locksmith - 2
( Fujishiro, Pot Goblin )
Library - 2 ( Flower, Joygirl )

By Player:

Flower - 10 ( Bank, Park, Library, University, Hotel, Carriage Station, Scotland Yard, Docks, Bar, Pawn Shop )
Fujishiro - 9 ( Bar, Locksmith, Bank, Pharmacy, University, Museum, Scotland Yard, Carriage Station, Hotel )
Dr_Professor83 - 9 ( Docks, Bar, University, Pharmacy, Park, Theater, Pawn Shop, Hotel, Carriage Station )
Joygirl - 9 ( Pawn Shop, Carriage Station, Scotland Yard, Hotel, Library, Theater, Park, Pharmacy, Bar )
Charlie - 9( Hotel, University, Theater, Docks, Pharmacy, Carriage Station, Museum, Park, Scotland Yard )
Pot Goblin - 8 ( Docks, Bar, Locksmith, Bank, Carriage Station, Theater, Museum, Pawn Shop )
Ratchet - 5 ( Museum, Park, Theater, Carriage Station, Docks )

Case and Questions
I

Indigo

Case #1 - The Case of The Jewelry Thief

"I must confess," said Lestrade to Holmes, "Scotland Yard does not know what to do about it. We are hoping that you can clear up this issue".

Lestrade went on to tell Holmes of the mysterious circumstances surrounding the theft of the Oldershaw diamonds. Convinced by the museum administrator, Royston Farrell, millionaire L. J. Oldershaw finally agreed to expose his valuable collection of diamonds. Unfortunately, a week after it was handed over to Farrell's care, the collection was stolen.

After some investigation, the police were sure that the jewelry thief, Clive Swift, recently released, had participated in the theft. Before he could be questioned, however, Clive was charred to death in a house fire. It was impossible to recognize the body, apart from a few pieces of clothing and an identity document. The police are certain that the fire was set purposefully, due to the presence of fuel in the place.

However, the following day, another body was found, this time shot in the head, in one of the cabins of the ship Orpheus. To Scotland Yard's surprise, the man was Clive Swift! He had bought a ticket on the ship bound for France. When the ship's captain, Dermot Crowley, found the body, the cabin was in complete disarray. The police searched the room, but found only an empty suitcase and clothes scattered on the floor.

Lestrade wants the detectives to find out:

a) Who was the charred body?
b) Who was the charred person's murderer?
c) What was the reason for burning the person?
d) Who was Clive Swift's killer?
e) What was the reason for Clive's death?
f) Where is the secret location of the diamonds?

*The flavour uses Sherlock Holmes' setup. London late 1800s or early 1900s.*

Start of Actions Phase (1)
I

Indigo

The game is afoot!

Actions Phase (1) begins now!

You have 24 hours (longer initial phase as requested) to submit your actions in your Role PM, if you want to of course!

Actions will be processed in the order they are sent.

Any questions about how the game works can be made in the game thread, so that all players can see my answer. If your questions are about your role or you want to hide your question, then send them in your Role PM.

Daphne (Damsel in Distress)
I

Indigo

Once again Daphne has been taken!

Her captor is keeping her in one of the city's locations. The gang needs to find her!

@Indigo

1) Is there something valuable in each location or some of them are just filler that gives us nothing (or barely anything)?

2) Hints in regards to each question are unique to certain location or can we find the same hint (or really similar) in 2 different locations?

---
3) How can L's identity be found...? xd We can't hint/claim anyways.

Pot Goblin

Conejo Blanco
Royston Farrell
L. J. Oldershaw
Clive Swift
Dermont Crowley

All the answers should be in those names as pertains to identity.
A-ah yes I see we're already on the same page
I see your mafia experience is already of good use
:emohiyo:

Once again Daphne has been taken!

Her captor is keeping her in one of the cities locations. The gang needs to find her!
Sorry you're on your own
I got clues to find
:gonope:

I

Indigo

@Indigo

1) Is there something valuable in each location or some of them are just filler that gives us nothing (or barely anything)?

2) Hints in regards to each question are unique to certain location or can we find the same hint (or really similar) in 2 different locations?

3) How can L's identity be found...? xd We can't hint/claim anyways.
1) Most locations will just give you clues, one or two could have something special though...

2) Each location has a unique clue, if 3 people visit the same location, they will get that same clue

3) Can't say :rosismile:

I

Indigo

@everyone

Are we planning to cooperate to some degree (like, everyone picking different location, sharing as much as we want, etc) or everyone's on on their own?
Reminder
  • only one player will win
  • you can't share clues or give hints to what type of clues someone can find in a certain location
  • but you can tell someone that they should go in a certain location
  • you can also share, either telling the truth or lying, how's your progression on answering the questions ("I think i got the murderer and the weapon down, all i need now is the motive")
Since you're playing against each other for the win, trying to find out how well the other players are doing can be very important

Status
Not open for further replies.