Character Discussion Who is a better character Sanji or Mihawk?

Sanji or Mihawk

• Total voters

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Well lets use a more modern example, two villains, Tony Soprano and Walter White......wouldn't you say these characters have some relatable aspects to them?, after all we wouldn't even follow the show if there wasn't something to those characters that we latched onto as psychopathic as they may be a major part of why they work is that they function in a realm of relatability where the audience can sympathies and empathies with them throughout their journeys. And yes generally the character that checks off more boxes is considered better written, but of course I agree that the quality in which these aspects are written carry the most importance; though wouldn't you agree that a lacking in the majority of these categories would be a more serious case of poor character writing than the former?. After all I would rather have something than almost nothing and in the case of Sanji I wouldn't say that Oda dropped the ball THAT hard to the point where I would put him below a character who barely checks off any of the listed categories.
You literally chose the 2 MCs of arguably the 2 greatest shows in television history, I don't understand that example but I can agree with the Sanji statement I guess.

I don't even think Sanji is that complex but at least he has SOME form of depth to his character, Mihawk doesn't have much going for him beyond being Zoros last stop. If we're talking about whose better written then it's objectively Sanji, but the second question is completely subjective, if you enjoy Mihawk more then that's fine but I'm not going to say a character who barely even appears in a 1000 plus chapter story is better written than a core main character with two dedicated character arcs because I like the cut of his jib .
99% of One Piece fans have this mentality and it’s both hilarious and sad. They need to be spoon fed every damn thing and 20 fodder panel reactions spelling out a character’s motivations and backstory in excruciating detail otherwise they don’t get a damn thing :milaugh:

Mihawk begins the story as a bitter, jaded man with no close connections. He mocks Zoro’s ambitions, humiliates him as much as he possibly can, and speaks only of killing time and chasing insignificant pirates. He’s achieved his dream, something that very few characters in the series have, but it’s made him miserable. He literally sails alone in a coffin, waiting for a swordsman strong enough to take his head.

Zoro and Luffy’s relationship inspires Mihawk to (briefly) reconnect with Shanks and he realises that Zoro’s selflessness is actually worth more than his talent or ambition. He slowly becomes less self-absorbed, loaning Zoro a boat to return to Sabaody, telling Perona to take care of herself and in the Perona novel, growing her a cacao tree. Mihawk learns to see the value in life and human relationships again, he slowly starts to reject cynicism and understand why Shanks bet so much on the next generation. Anyone who calls him bland or uninteresting is simply not reading the manga.

99% of One Piece fans have this mentality and it’s both hilarious and sad. They need to be spoon fed every damn thing and 20 fodder panel reactions spelling out a character’s motivations and backstory in excruciating detail otherwise they don’t get a damn thing :milaugh:

Mihawk begins the story as a bitter, jaded man with no close connections. He mocks Zoro’s ambitions, humiliates him as much as he possibly can, and speaks only of killing time and chasing insignificant pirates. He’s achieved his dream, something that very few characters in the series have, but it’s made him miserable. He literally sails alone in a coffin, waiting for a swordsman strong enough to take his head.

Zoro and Luffy’s relationship inspires Mihawk to (briefly) reconnect with Shanks and he realises that Zoro’s selflessness is actually worth more than his talent or ambition. He slowly becomes less self-absorbed, loaning Zoro a boat to return to Sabaody, telling Perona to take care of herself and in the Perona novel, growing her a cacao tree. Mihawk learns to see the value in life and human relationships again, he slowly starts to reject cynicism and understand why Shanks bet so much on the next generation. Anyone who calls him bland or uninteresting is simply not reading the manga.
But I never called him bland or uninteresting hun, In all your overstating you missed the main point I was making which is that Mihawk is simply NOT better written than Sanji and hasn't been explored deep enough past his initial concept as a character to be better. I can also poetically overstate Sanjis character with even more words, to make him seem far more than what he is, which is pretty much what you did. It's no different to the joke about the English teacher trying to find more depth in why the curtains are blue when it's really something simple. What you said can be summed up to " Mihawk was bored then Zoro showed up now he's not bored anymore and is waiting idly until Zoro shows up to fight him"........if you think that's enough to make him better written than Sanji then I guess you must really dislike Sanji.

You prolly have read all 17 panels of him far too often.

Main character with a shit ton of screentime vs Side character with essentially zero screentime:lusalty:

Fully expecting Mihawk to be a better character when Oda decides to focus on him though:hihihi:

This is a Zoro forum, so people likes to shit on Sanji.
Coupled with Mihawk being related to Zoro, saying Mihawk > Sanji in characterization is a proxy of saying Zoro > Sanji.