General & Others Why can't Oda & other shonen mangaka write a great main cast ?

During my hiatus from OP,
I decided to read and enjoy other series and I even rewatched HxH

It made realise how much Oda is average at developing characters : main cast and rivals

Look at Leorio, Gon, Killua and Kurapika ... are they perfect ? Nah but the chemistry, the depth and the development of their growth (power wise and character wise) are all well written by Togashi
You could feel the growth being somewhat natural despite Gon's enormous potential.
The arcs have tension and are always dynamic

Look at Reborn & Ron Kamonohashi, Amano Senpai doesn't just make the MC take all the glory or be the only one shining everytime nor do his rivals end up being super disappointing.

Everyone growing, everyone getting his time to shine
They are not repeating the same stupid mistakes or decisions over and over

Why couldn't Oda do this with SHs?
Luffy himself being retarded and can prefer eating or having fun while the crew suffers.

Especially when the crew doesn't even have fodders or many members on the ship, it's just 9/10 dudes sailing on one ship from island to island. Pre timeskip wasn't like this,
But since OP became super famous and Oda has been struck by money fever...he's been writing one of the worst shonen Manga lately where you don't even know if the main cast are not background side characters or main characters and each arc has lesser threat impression than the former.

Strawhats are bunch random guys lying to themselves that they have a bond together even though they don't bother talking about their pasts or timeskip encounter to each other
They get shocked when one opens up.. ๐Ÿคฃ Well, "we have such a real bond"
Spent more time wirh strangers than with each other in these 3 years OP timeline

@RayanOO @TheAncientCenturion @Tyki_Mikk @Jiihad @Steven @Chrono

Last edited:

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž
I agree the side cast is always better and I think I know why

The main cast are always squeezed into some kind of troupe yes they grow and develop but that troupe will always be part of them, Brook and Sanji will always be pervs, Robin will always have an air of mystery, usopp will always be cowardly even after becoming a brave warrior of the sea

Meanwhile the side cast aren't forced into a box they can show a wide range of quirks and troupes the side cast since they don't show up has often the Author doesn't have has much time for the reader to fall in love with that character so they make them more and more enticing so the reader can look forward to seeing them again

Seeing the main cast for 1000+ episodes doing the same troupes over and over can get boring and mundane

At least that's my own personal reason why I believe Side Cast> Main Cast

At least Oda did a good job with Sanji's storyline & depth, more than 99.9% of animanga character.

All aspects of his character are synchronized (e.g. dream-job-abilities-roles), a lot of things got developed (e.g. his lighter gets a blueprint & comic, his bounty have 3 different plotlines), and the persona got developed (e.g. his self-worth, his past, his flaws).

Maybe people should create their manga I am serious I see this complain every day . Almost every manga has pro and cons .
One piece is an adventure manga if you love pure battle bleach , JJK , Kingdom . Actually Kingdom is right now good place for power trippers .

Also I think post Wano people should realise quality of writing has dipped I still think Egghead is good but seriously on whole post time skip has been average . However I respect Oda he committed to end in his own term .

Powerlevel in One piece has generally been mixed to me sometimes the contest between DF and Haki has been controversial throughout the series .

Having a great main chat doesn't make money. My question would be why they didn't give their fans what they want. Naruto fans wanted Naruto to learn jutsu. In a Manga about jutsu that seems like a normal want.

One piece fans want Luffy to have more than 10 pirates. Even the smallest and most underpowered crews have atleast 20 people.

Idk what bleach fans wanted but it seems like the golden Era 90 cartoons didn't blue ball their fans on basic wants. I mean sure theirs the harem Manga where the MC acts like a pitch but we get cool moments and the character gets lots of hype.

Oda thinks we're watching to see how things develop and how Luffy interacts with the rest of the world. Though most people are watching to figure out how One Piece ends.
It was a pretty good adventure Manga and very unique but oda used up his good ideas and it became a generic shounen.

Oda won't focus on the strawhats because not everybody likes good story and compelling characters. I really think most one piece fans now are just watching because they like pretty colors and all their friends watch. That's why newer episodes look like a way rainbow version of DBZ.

One piece is an adventure manga if you love pure battle bleach , JJK , Kingdom . Actually Kingdom is right now good place for power trippers .
Kingdom of the worst mangas, where the characters teleport
OP is the best manga because Oda made each character have their own personality.....and also many expect fights, for example I want to see Mihawk vs Zoro fight for the title

During my hiatus from OP,
I decided to read and enjoy other series and I even rewatched HxH

It made realise how much Oda is average at developing characters : main cast and rivals

Look at Leorio, Gon, Killua and Kurapika ... are they perfect ? Nah but the chemistry, the depth and the development of their growth (power wise and character wise) are all well written by Togashi
You could feel the growth being somewhat natural despite Gon's enormous potential.
The arcs have tension and are always dynamic

Look at Reborn & Ron Kamonohashi, Amano Senpai doesn't just make the MC take all the glory or be the only one shining everytime nor do his rivals end up being super disappointing.

Everyone growing, everyone getting his time to shine
They are not repeating the same stupid mistakes or decisions over and over

Why couldn't Oda do this with SHs?
Luffy himself being retarded and can prefer eating or having fun while the crew suffers.

Especially when the crew doesn't even have fodders or many members on the ship, it's just 9/10 dudes sailing on one ship from island to island. Pre timeskip wasn't like this,
But since OP became super famous and Oda has been struck by money fever...he's been writing one of the worst shonen Manga lately where you don't even know if the main cast are not background side characters or main characters and each arc has lesser threat impression than the former.

Strawhats are bunch random guys living to themselves that they have a bond together even though they don't bother talking about their pasts or timeskip encounter to each other
They get shocked when one opens up.. ๐Ÿคฃ Well, "we have such a real bond"
Spent more time wirh strangers than with each other in these 3 years OP timeline

@RayanOO @TheAncientCenturion @Tyki_Mikk @Jiihad @Steven @Chrono
TL/DR the crew use to be somewhat good, then the TS happened and these characters are now OoC a bit and just caricatures of themselves.

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž
Read Sakamoto Days. The manga gives me old time manga vibes and it has a great ensemble cast thatโ€™s never neglected and are actually important
Legendary Manga

Jiihad

RIP Toriyama
โ€Ž
Oda prioritizes plot/story over his characters and their growth. Ion know if itโ€™s cause he KANT wrote good quality characters and have them grow. Or he just doesnโ€™t wanna. No one knows. But tha characters are definitely not as good as other manga

Oda prioritizes plot/story over his characters and their growth. Ion know if itโ€™s cause he KANT wrote good quality characters and have them grow. Or he just doesnโ€™t wanna. No one knows. But tha characters are definitely not as good as other manga
Tbf there are moments of growth (Luffy creating gear to protect his crew, Robins "I want to live" , the training during time skip bc they noticed they aren't strong enough)

I think the best main cast I ever saw written was actually a game.

Xenogears RPG.

Every member that eventually joins your party all have a backstory that is presented to you and the others once more that the character has to get through helped by their friends. No character is sidelined or left out, and there were more in the party than the Strawhats. Less time than a 25 year manga to have such content too. But it's also known as the greatest story for an RPG of all time.

Oda comes as a second, his writing reminds me a lot of the game.