Questions & Mysteries Why did Oda throw away Jack?

Queen and King are still kicking, King hasn't been hurt at all. Why did Jack get done so dirty?
To make way for hyped stuffs like Momoron, Otameh, flatulent jokes, and Hokage duels, sadly. :josad:
Post automatically merged:

Honestly I've started to just accept that Jack's role (and Peros) were always secondary to the main plot and to let non-MC's them. It's a way to:

- Narratively close plotlines (Zou and Pedro)
- Give secondary characters objectives and meaning

Without making it seem like the MCs are God's who handle everything. Point in case, this was how many Doflamingo family members were handled, including Diamante, so I didn't really feel super disappointed by what happened to Jack/Peros.

What does bother me though in the end is the lack of growth for many Strawhats so far. Sure, Nami and Robin got powerups, that's fine. Their fights were as I've expected them (Nami's fights have never been exactly...good). But the weirdest thing is how Usopp was entirely embarrassing as a fighter and Brook/Chopper never got anything outside of being secondary players on their fights against Black Maria and Queen respectively. Then you have Jinbe/Franky, who absolutely demolished their opponents. Why?

I'm "hoping" that answer is BMs crew in a few chapters, but we are nearing a point where it would be very surprising if Zoro/Sanji don't win soon, so it needs to happen moderately quickly then
Cook's fight is entering its final phase, tbh. Queen has shown everything he could and Cook unleashed his best attack so far. Only thing left is for Cook to finish Queen off.

Zoro vs King is not even halfway over, tho.

Last edited:
Jack served his purpose in Zou by establishing the tone of the beast Pirates and giving us a reason to dislike them.

By allowing Jack to routinely come back Pre-Wano from seemingly anything, Jack got the build up as a massive threat. Oda then used this to establish other characters as bigger and badder than Jack at his own expense. In this case, Ashura Doji, King, Queen and the Sulong Dukes.

After the Sulong Dukes wrecked him, his role in the story was finished. He suffers from the Warf effect and the only thing waiting for Jack was to conclude the Mink plot line.

Sad to say, but he just didn’t have any bigger part in the story.
How you suppose to dislike him/them when you turn into one of the biggest Stan? :nicagesmile:

Simple. At the time of the beginning of the raid, Queen > Sanji so that can be an interesting fight. King > Zoro so that can be an interesting fight. But Jack simply could not hold a candle to the might of the YC3 of the Straw Hat crew, GoD. Usopp. It'd be a wash. Oda is saving him for the final clash with Laido, UKK

haha I wish Usopp would actually get to do something soon... this raid is treating him so poorly... at least Nami got a permanent buff...

People will see Oda’s treatment of Jack (a calamity) and still tell me that Wano’s writing is phenomenal

Going into Wano I had really high expectations for Jack

- First billion beri man we meet
- Bounty close to a first commander (at the time)
- Straight up mutilated the 2 dukes

Come Wano and he gets mid diffed and disrespected once onscreen and 2-3 times offscreen

Thanks Oda!

:cantseeme::cantseeme::cantseeme:

People will see Oda’s treatment of Jack (a calamity) and still tell me that Wano’s writing is phenomenal

Come Wano and he gets mid diffed and disrespected once onscreen and 2-3 times offscreen

Thanks Oda!

seeing how jack get mistreated like this in wano, I wish Oda made him the main villain back in zhou, with a big fight, similar to katakuri in WCI, him against zoro and law, if oda would only made him look like this, being out of place in wano, the building of his character is pretty good back in zhou, specially when he attack admirals showing he dont give a f, he was so badass back then, until King and queen show up, oda started treating him like shit.

seeing how jack get mistreated like this in wano, I wish Oda made him the main villain back in zhou, with a big fight, similar to katakuri in WCI, him against zoro and law, if oda would only made him look like this, being out of place in wano, the building of his character is pretty good back in zhou, specially when he attack admirals showing he dont give a f, he was so badass back then, until King and queen show up, oda started treating him like shit.
He got so much back in Zou just for him to be disrespected for literally the entire arc

Idk how you can give a character so much just to give them nothing at all in a later arc

Jack was treated so poorly during the Wano arc.

Didn't show any named attacks.

Overshadowed by King, Queen, and the Tobi Roppo.

Used as a hype tool for Ashura Doji during Act 1.

His fight against Sulong Inu and Neko was off screened.

And instead of showing us the rematch fight against Inu, that fight also gets off screened and instead we only get the conclusion.

Cuz Lolda thinks he's slick and being confident that he could make a good fight, turns out it was the same "one shot" trope that he has been doing for years. And plus the fact that Jack didn't fight the Strawhat make it worse. I would have been fine if he fought Jinbei instead. Hell, I would be even satisfying for Usopp beating Jack. But nah, Oda has to ruined it.

Jack was fine. What do people want, the same old shit? 3 chapters with Jinbe full of pun attacks, Big Wave, DON moment meta commentary from Jinbe on being the superior Fishman. Boring.

Are there too many characters stealing the spotlight or not enough? Make up your minds.

My impression is that Oda probably realized he wasted too much time on the Scabbards and the fanbase wasn’t responding to whatever he was trying to do with them (there was some story with editors hyping scabbards v kaido by crying or something?)

Since Jack had to be matched up with the dukes at this point, Oda probably just try to spend as little time as possible on it cuz no one was hyped for Jack vs the Dukes at this point to rush to the main fights.

Thanks Oda!

And people gonna praise Oda on how he wrote Wano and characters in it so far

Jack was fine. What do people want, the same old shit? 3 chapters with Jinbe full of pun attacks, Big Wave, DON moment meta commentary from Jinbe on being the superior Fishman. Boring.

Are there too many characters stealing the spotlight or not enough? Make up your minds.
What about a single named attack from Jack?

I think people would be fine with most of what happened with Jack, if they ever showed any of his fights outside of him getting tossed around

I’m sure the anime will save Jack’s portrayal a little bit