General & Others Why didn't you like WCI?

Everything was so forced. To sum it up Luffy sneaked in a yinko HQ to take back Sanji and maybe steal her riad poneglyph.. It ended in a full out battle where the yonkobwas the SH biggest ally, Luffy beat 2 YCs (it was also forced on how Luffy come back to the mirror world to fight Kata who was trapped while he could have gone helpbthe others escape. This totally shits on the reasons why Ace dies), Smoothie was memed just like BM. And in the end when there was chapter 900 cliffhanger and you think "finally retribution struck them, it was impossible they humiliated a yonko crew so much" that moment shoukd have been like the end of pre time skip Sabaody.. Tou get a massive middle finger by Oda, plot power over 9000 and everybody leaves WCI without much problems. I'm still yet not even totally sure Pedro died lol. And alsobI have to admit that after chapter 900 I care a lot less about this manga, the plot can not be taken seriously.

Big Mom has no substance, she's a typical caricature of the Hansel and Gretel Witch.

Pudding's turn around from a clever villain to a split personality nut job.

Which also lead to- Sanji not learning that some women are true villains and don't deserve "a chivalrous hero".

Sanji's shitty brothers & father not getting their comeuppance, or at least seeing what Sanji is capable of ffs.

Sanji's big moment is him running around trying to bake a cake that in the end, resulted in nothing at all anyway!

There was a lot of confusing and nonsensical pointless scenes, especially in the Seducing Forest which went on for FAR TOO LONG!

Carrot was a waste, why she was there is beyond me. I guess to just show the Surlong form? But it was still pointless really.

Jinbei was a waste too. Exactly how did he escape? Makes Big Mom look even more like a Big Meme. There were numerous other plot holes as well.

Sanji betraying the Straw Hats in the first place. C'mon he knew Luffy wouldn't let anyone kill Zeff. Have faith in your Captain & Crew!

I don't care what anyone says. Katakuri kicked Luffy's ass then handed Luffy the win. I guess because he hates his Mom or something. But Luffy acting like it was a flawless victory for him irked me.

I learned who my most favorite Straw Hats were with this arc. I missed Robin, Franky, Usopp and especially Zoro so darned much! I missed Law too.

Other than Katakuri, there was nothing about the arc that I enjoyed.

It was one of the better post skip arc's till the bomb explosion,after that it went downhill.The SHs and Capone should have left the WCI after that happened.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the arc a lot except for the "weeding cake" thing that felt like an eternity and Sanji not getting a good fight with off screen Yonji/getting Zeff's life threatened/Judge using soldiers as wall + Over/Daifuku were at best just clashes.

-Luffy did everything in that arc, no one else got matchups.
-Katakuri fight and character was underwhelming as hell, Luffy and his unlimited plot armour won that or katakuri was just weak as hell asside from his FS. Motherfucking conqueror eating donnuts in secret because hes too much of a pussy to show his face.
-big meme was fucking useless.
-It made sanji's character even worse than it already was.

WCI was proclaimed as the Year of Sanji but overall he achieved nothing spectacular, if not I really disliked his choice to give up his dream without even trying to fight better.

Now we are at the Year of Zoro and I'm still extensively confident the Grandmaster won't delude us ardent fans. :catpole:

I enjoyed the premise of WCI. The idea that it was going to be a stealth mission intrigued me. I also enjoyed Brook destroying the picture of Mother Caramel. It was simultaneously badass and hilarious. I also enjoyed Big Mom's backstory. I think her goal of having every race on one island is fascinating, but the way she goes about it is wrong. Big Mom's devil fruit is interesting as well. It's too bad she became Big Meme.

I didn't enjoy the seducing woods when I read it weekly, but found it a lot better when I reread the arc.

I definitely didn't like Sanji kicking Luffy in the face. I understand why Sanji did it, but it doesn't mean I have to excuse it or like it. Also as a reader, we had all of the SHs join together to save Robin. For Sanji, half went to Wano (which had been built-up for years. WCI felt like a too long detour). Also Sanji had been with Luffy a lot longer than Robin, so as a reader it was more emotionally frustrating to see him leave the crew.

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Sanji deserves to be called one of the Luffy's wings due to his actions on WCI. But Luffy's a forgiving guy so I can let bygones be bygones.

Also I didn't enjoy Luffy vs Katakuri. I thought the fight when on too long and I got bored when I read it weekly.

I've seen a lot of ppl saying that WCI is one of the worst arcs or even the worst arc post time skip so I want to hear why do you think so. Just post your thoughts in the comment section, and if you think that it's over-hated you can also post your arguments on why it isn't that bad.
It was good before the tea party, sucked big time after it (except for Luffy vs Katakuri).

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I'm mixed on WCI. It had a good premise behind it, being a rescue and infiltration mission. It forced the crew to think more outside the box without their full force and against a foe larger and more imposing than they've fought before. Linlin and her family have one of the more interesting crew dynamics among the antagonists. As a dysfunctional family, loyalties and allegiances are varied as much as the designs of the crew. I think Kat's relationship with his siblings was very wholesome and a nice contrast to Sanji's more dysfunctional sibling interactions.

Where the arc falters for me was the overlong chase scene with Linlin and the lack of long term consequences. Even Linlin's arrival on Wano, which was a result of the Strawhat's actions on WCI, has barely made a difference.

Everything was so forced. To sum it up Luffy sneaked in a yinko HQ to take back Sanji and maybe steal her riad poneglyph.. It ended in a full out battle where the yonkobwas the SH biggest ally, Luffy beat 2 YCs (it was also forced on how Luffy come back to the mirror world to fight Kata who was trapped while he could have gone helpbthe others escape. This totally shits on the reasons why Ace dies), Smoothie was memed just like BM. And in the end when there was chapter 900 cliffhanger and you think "finally retribution struck them, it was impossible they humiliated a yonko crew so much" that moment shoukd have been like the end of pre time skip Sabaody.. Tou get a massive middle finger by Oda, plot power over 9000 and everybody leaves WCI without much problems. I'm still yet not even totally sure Pedro died lol. And alsobI have to admit that after chapter 900 I care a lot less about this manga, the plot can not be taken seriously.
Although I quite understand your point about the SH's having plot armour in that controversial chapter, the way they could reassemble and fight back from a full defeat against BMP would've been nonsense without a Deux ex machina event happening.
And well, this is One Piece, none of the straw hats would really suffer that much anymore. Sometimes I wished that One Piece was more like a seinen than a shonen, so we could have gotten the true power of a Yonko crew.
I stopped to care about any tension after witnessing the circus that was Udon, the jail of the most saddistic crew. I was expecting true hell for luffy and at the end , it turned out to be his training camp