General & Others Why none of the legendary Pirates had peaceful death?

Last edited:
G

Gorosei Informer

What about everyone's mother dying of illness?

I think this influences Odas writing a lot too, this mentality:

And there's this too obviously:

Oda has that 80s type action hero love in his writing. That adoration of that era, the big 80s action heroes, living and acting grandly. Having massive adventures and insane action of all kinds. Living dangerously and having great battles/conflicts/feats and such.

We know he loves old Japanese films including certain famous Yakuza ones like the one Akainus actor is well known for, Battle Without Honour and Humanity, which also inspired Quentin Tarantino HEAVILY, as especially confirmed/evident with Kill Bill too naturally.

Hell, I feel this song could fit so many characters in One Piece from Zoro, Luffy, Franky, Brook, Roger, Oden, Rayleigh, Whitebeard, Kaido, Shanks, Ben, Magellan, the Admirals, Garp, Smoker, Ryuuma, Ushimaru, Denjiro, Ashura Doji, Senor Pink, Momonga, Godhawk Mihawk, etc:

I'm not the best at explaining or especially summarising things, being concise and such, but Oda lives by this trope too, The Rule of Cool:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

He and Japan have that "Peter Pan Syndrome", young at heart, old in mind/body or body at least. Young and free spirited despite their age. Never truly wanting to grow up.

When I'm not in one of my bitter/pessismsitic moods, I do admire and relate to it a lot. I understand it especially with what Japan has been through, most particularly due to the nukings they experienced and how that utterly desecrated their country and thus put them through indescribable HELL that understandably still has repercussions decades later. Japan recovered AMAZINGLY fast and well from it too though but they are ABSOLUTELY relentless in recovering from immense disasters, their willpower, their determination/tenacity is truly superhuman even.

Getting pierced through your chest is soothing?
Even if he didn't had the plans to surrender, he would've died anyway due to his illness and from what we've seen, it was quite painful.
So, either way he would've faced the same.
Post automatically merged:

Why man 😳
Ryuma is an exception
Mihawk also seem to be the same
Zoro will be too
Ryuma died of an illness.

This is a little off-topic but I'm sorta annoyed/curious that Roger's execution is still unclear. Was he beheaded? Was he stabbed? Why is still ambiguous considering we've seen shit like WB have half his face melted off and turned into a bodybag filled with bullets, Shaka getting sniped, Oden headshot etc? Am I an idiot? (if any of you lads quote that last part I swear to Kaido)

G

Gorosei Informer

This is a little off-topic but I'm sorta annoyed/curious that Roger's execution is still unclear. Was he beheaded? Was he stabbed? Why is still ambiguous considering we've seen shit like WB have half his face melted off and turned into a bodybag filled with bullets, Shaka getting sniped, Oden headshot etc? Am I an idiot? (if any of you lads quote that last part I swear to Kaido)
We've had confusion over that in the community since forever tbh, due to the anime and even the 4Kids dub doing their own things with Roger's execution. The OP wiki explains it quite well though:

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Gol_D._Roger#Translation_and_Dub_Issues

The specific execution method used on Roger also differs among translations (due in part to the ambiguity mentioned above):

(It should be noted that in the manga, the execution is punctuated by the sound-effect "zan" (ザン?). This is often accepted as a katakana rendering of , a term associated with cutting/slashing actions in general, and decapitation in particular. Additionally, the initial execution attempt on Portgas D. Ace during the Summit War of Marineford, set-up almost identically to Roger's, has the executioners aiming their blades at Ace's neck.[79])

Rottkins

✯ ✧ 𝔾 𝕠 𝕕 𝕠 𝕗 𝕃 𝕚 𝕖 𝕤 ✧ ✯
Roger-executed.
WB- killed by BB.
Oden-died a painful boiling death.
Kaido n BM-lost to rookies n died in Magma.
Rocks-killed by Roger/Garp.

Will Shanks face the same fate?
they are pirates, them having a simple death would be odd