Character Discussion Why Oda prepares a lot of Sanji's hints for his development but gives Zoro instant upgrades and a random background

"Instant upgrade"? The anime guys probably were instructed a fucking decade ago to animate that intimidating scene. Just like many other times, including manga, when zoro showed hints of CoC. It's not an instand upgrade, luffy and zoro are literal battle geniuses who immediately adapt to situations and even copy moves now and then.
Shuusui - enma exchange may have surprised everyone but it probably makes sense for zoro to get rid of a useless black blade (someone else's). Pretty sure you'll need your own black blade to even slightly approach the full capacity of its feats. Shuusui just felt heavier for zoro, not many other oddities. So if someone got hinted the fuck out of himself throughout the series it was zoro.

Sanji's just not that type of a fighter. With Germa genes he took a completely different path than most have expected. I suppose in the EoS he'll be able to pull all the moves queen did but better. And hopefully some island level CoO sensing hack with his feet

I think Oda focused a lot more on the characters that people were interested the most in, which I assume are Luffy and Zoro. Sanji is probably ranked a number or two above him, but a small gap like that can make a big difference.

Oda has already given Luffy and Zoro a lot of development and special attention, so development for characters like Sanji and Nami are slower, but noticeable when they happen. Sanji’s newly awakened abilities during Wano and Nami‘s improved Clima-Tact with Zeus are good examples.

There‘s also characters that Oda has had on the back burner for a while, such as Chopper and Usopp, with the latter being on the burner the longest.