Character Discussion Why Yamato said "she was Oden": she was using the phsycological trick called "Alter Ego"

There is a mental trick many succesful people use,called creating an Alter Ego,these are some articles about it:
https://theprofile.substack.com/p/why-the-worlds-most-confident-people
https://gregcampion.substack.com/p/summoning-your-alter-ego

To explain it simply,it consists on,when you're scared about doing something,or when you lack self-confidece,pretending to be someone else (a character invented by us or an existing character,or another person) and this helps you to perform.
For example,Beyoncè created a character named Sasha Fierce to help her to perform,and the baseball player Bo Jackson pretended to be Jason Vorhess from the Friday the 13th movies to help himself to perform.

I think Oda knows about this mental trick,because he is a person who reads a lot (and maybe he even uses it himself,who knows!) and decided that Yamato would be a character who uses it. I think Yamato started to use this mental trick to "pretending to be Oden",the person she admires the most,to give herself courage in her difficult situation of living as prisoner of her father.
Also,if we think about it,Oda already used this theme with Usopp in the CP9 arc. Usopp created the Sogeking alter ego not only to help the Strawhats without letting them know it was him,but also to give himself courage to fight the CP9.

So basically you’re saying Lamatoe has no character and is a coward and a pussy whos so insecure and scared of herself that she has to impersonate someone else to feel safe and validated

got it

I didnt think it was possible to hate her even more after this, but you did a good job highlighting her trashy useless existence even more

good job
:cheers:

So basically you’re saying Lamatoe has no character and is a coward and a pussy whos so insecure and scared of herself that she has to impersonate someone else to feel safe and validated

got it

I didnt think it was possible to hate her even more after this, but you did a good job highlighting her trashy useless existence even more

good job
:cheers:
Well someone can think that a character like this is lame,thats a legitimate opinion,but i dont think people who uses this mental trick in general can be called "lame". Many succesful people uses it,and it works for them,to help them get big things done. (I personally dont use it myself,its not for me,but when i've read about it i thought it basically was what Yamato and Usopp did in One Piece).

Alter Ego's are usually a different side to yourself, or a new person you invent though. Having it be a real person of history in that world, just made it otherkin-type crap and was extremely disrespectful. Especially when she called herself that around Momo, or said he was her son. Like, who does that.

"Hi kid, I'm your dead parent."

Alter Ego's are usually a different side to yourself, or a new person you invent though. Having it be a real person of history in that world, just made it otherkin-type crap and was extremely disrespectful. Especially when she called herself that around Momo, or said he was her son. Like, who does that.

"Hi kid, I'm your dead parent."
Yeah,the part where she calls herself Oden in front of Momo was meant to be some sort of cringe humour,as the final scene of Wano proves (when Yamato ask Momo if he was planning to become stronger than him,when Momo said he wanted to become stronger than his father) but it probably wasnt Oda's best idea to do that.