Why You Should Watch Kemono Jihen | The Most Mature Shounen

Kemono Jihen Is an Underappreciated Gem

In a stacked season of numerous sequels, and multiple new entries shocking the anime community with their groundbreaking quality; with the highlight of the season being wonder egg priority. There is still one hidden gem unnoticed by the masses, and that series is Kemono Jihen, the dark horse of winter 2021!
Kemono Jihen (also known as monster incidents) is a shounen manga written by Sho Aimoto published in Jump Square; the monthly alternative to its weekly shounen jump sibling. And just recently has been adapted by Aija-do animation works; most known for their How Not To Summon A Demon Lord Adaption.
So, what makes Kemono Jihen unique from its shounen brethren? Well let’s dive in and analyze this fascinating series! Kemono Jihen follows a traditional battle shounen formula where a group of kemono children (demons from traditional Japanese folklore) solve paranormal cases plaguing japan, fighting against various types of disturbing kemono threatening humanity.

Led by a sensei (Inugami) enlisting an orphaned boy named Kabane; abandoned by his parents, and rejected from the community. At first glance Kabane seems like a boring and stoic protagonist, barely showing any emotion, lacking the most basic social skills. As he easily brushes off any adversary in his way with a lack of mercy.
Now you’re wondering, “why would I ever want to follow this edgy potato?”. Well, you’d be shocked to realize that Kabane is actually quit intriguing. I would dare say one of the better protagonists of the season! Every flaw he inhabits, is a result of a tragic consequence groomed into him as a child.
Kabane grew up in a toxic environment, exploited by his family; never given the right to live as a normal boy, because they feared his existence as a Ghoul. A kemono that can never die, needing to be sealed to be defeated. It’s not until Inugami rescued Kabane from this hell, sparking the first sign of passion into his heart, as he promises the chance of discovering his parents.

Watching their bond develop throughout the series is quite beautiful. Inugami never pressures Kabane into anything, letting him grasp the concept of various feelings and emotions on his own; while providing wisdom whenever needed. This is best seen when Kabane learns the concept of love.
After resolving the case of a cat kemono seducing lonely men; Kabane discovers love for the first time, and with his innocence buys Inugami a handkerchief; because he internalized the act of giving gifts to your loved ones from that mission. It’s a common theme for Kabane to be educated in very unconventional ways, and watching the absurdity of his reasoning for simple concepts while he develops as a human being is what makes Kabani intriguing!
And the protagonist is just the icing on the luscious cake of Kemon Jihen! The characters are generic, each following a common trope. However, there is never a second when I felt bored, because they are brimming with personality. Watching their hilarious interactions with each other, and seeing how the ever-growing cast of new fun characters fit in, is very entertaining!

However, Kemono Jihen is NOT a light hearted anime. It’s more mature than your average shounen, covering various difficult topics such as rape, grooming, and domestic abuse. And apparently this is just pebble in the ocean of mature content down the line, according to source readers. With the central cast experiencing tremendous hardship as they battle against their trauma. Each of the kids enrolled in the inugami detective agency, to get stronger in their efforts of fulfilling their strenuous goals.

There is Akira who wishes to gain confidence and power, so he will gain the respect of his brother, so he can be by his side. Kon who wants to be adored by her mother figure Inari, but is too naïve to realize she’s being exploited. And with the highlight of the cast being Shiki; a boy traumatized by insects because he witnessed his mother being raped by numerous disturbing insect monsters; which is quite ironic considering he’s an Arachnid kemono.
At first, he had no interest in discovering the truth of his mother's whereabouts, because the trauma was far too much of a burden. It’s not until he established a bond with Kabene, is he able to undercover his uncles' misdeeds, and save his mother from captivity. See (spoilers ahead) shikis uncle was manipulating the situation the entire time.

He promised Shikis mother eternal bliss for her family, if she participates in a horrific experiment to mass produce the golden silk. Which entails getting raped by various kemono until the golden silk is born. Which can preserve anything and anyone; which will produce riches for the uncle.
When shiki discovers the terrible betrayal from his uncle; one of the few to bestow “love” towards him. This enrages him, but the uncle doesn’t easily surrender, pulling out one last trick from his sleeve. Releasing Shikis disfigured siblings to eliminate him and Kabane. And before Shiki can retaliate, the mutants taunt him mimicking his mother's voice, saying “I love you shiki”. And as things seem dire, Kabane goes super saiyan god mode, enraged at the injustice swiftly defeats his foes!
Now this is where my one major critique comes in to play. The fights of kemono Jihen are VERY lackluster. Most encounters are brief clashes with mediocre choreography. I won’t be too hard on the mediocre animation, because it’s one of the least criteria I care for, as long as it’s decent and the rest of the content is excellent. And the epic battle between Kabane and the mutants where skipped, with a one shot being the little bit of action we get to see... This was supposed to be a cool scene showcasing Kabanes rage and inner power. You can tell the studio is held back by a limited budget.
However, that’s legit my only major criticism of the show. It may not be as flashy as your average shounen, but kemono Jihen is more about the characters than the action. Especially with the fantastic development of Shikis character, as he gained the resolve to not kill his uncle. letting him wallow in pity, as being seen as a failure is far greater punishment than death for his uncle.

He accomplished his goal of saving his mother, and is ready to move on, rebuilding the bonds of his family with his new sister; that he was unknown of for years. And this eventful experience will play a pivotal role in the development in Kabanes character, as he slowly learns the positives and negatives of human society! Becoming more human like in each episode, grasping the concept of various emotions and ideas!
All of this great content is only nine episodes in! If the rest of the story stays this consistent, while continuing to improve then great things await Kemon Jihen! Give it a try for fucks sake!

Thank you for your efforts.

I don't know if I would give it a try : I'm not fan of the designs and drawings.

Seems like Hunter x Hunter , Ghibli, Tokyo Ghoul and Mirai Nikki. Some weird mix. Maybe one day .... 👽