Questions & Mysteries Will Luffy swim

Obviously luffy along with everyone with devil fruit powers can’t swim but do you think he eventually will?
Maybe defeating imu who might be connected to the imubozo a sea yokai could lead it happening. Personally I think luffy being the freest man ever and finally being able to swim would be very fitting

Makes me wonder if enough buoyancy could counter act a devil fruit. Say Luffy does a normal balloon. Could he float as long as he holds his breath? What about and absolutely massive balloon, maybe utilizing G5?

And he can technically swim, just not in sea water.

Makes me wonder if enough buoyancy could counter act a devil fruit. Say Luffy does a normal balloon. Could he float as long as he holds his breath? What about and absolutely massive balloon, maybe utilizing G5?

And he can technically swim, just not in sea water.
DF users can't swim, even in fresh water. Oda talked about this in SBS Vol. 41, they become weak after submerging waist up in any body of water. Sui Sui no Mi is the only DF that makes the user capable of "swimming", apparently.

Your point about buoyancy is interesting though, I never considered that. There are DF users that can use their abilities to avoid water (e.g.: Aokiji, Big Mom), so Luffy might be able to do so too.

DF users can't swim, even in fresh water. Oda talked about this in SBS Vol. 41, they become weak after submerging waist up in any body of water. Sui Sui no Mi is the only DF that makes the user capable of "swimming", apparently.

Your point about buoyancy is interesting though, I never considered that. There are DF users that can use their abilities to avoid water (e.g.: Aokiji, Big Mom), so Luffy might be able to do so too.
Could have sworn I heard otherwise but thanks for correcting me. Thought it was mentioned before about bathing, that he could with no issues.

Could have sworn I heard otherwise but thanks for correcting me. Thought it was mentioned before about bathing, that he could with no issues.
Yes, Oda comments that DF users can bathe without issues, but in showers, for example. You can see it here, it's the last Q&A.

About the OP: we don't know for sure why the DF users have this weakness, it could certainly be related to the WG higher-ups, but I feel like we won't see them swimming. Vegapunk already gave his theory that "mother nature" (i.e.: the "sea", which is considered a deity/entity in One Piece apparently) loathes that unnatural power (chapter #1069), so, as unscientific as it looks, it seems like we won't be seeing them swimming.

Last edited: