Questions & Mysteries Will time correct itself?

I have mentioned this on several occasions and been shot down each time...it makes perfect fuckin’ sense, there have to be some delayed effects from traveling two decades into the future. Imagine Momo suddenly growing into his 28 year old self, being able to fight like an adult and (more importantly) ruling Wano in his father’s stead after all is said and done here. Otherwise, he’s just gonna be a sniveling eight-year-old punk with authority over an entire nation. Which outcome sounds better to y’all?
Exactly. The way I see it, is that there needs to be some kind of cause and effect aspect to come into play here. For every action an equal and opposite reaction. Time travel in all forms of fiction are always tricky, but no matter what kind of time travel happens (Forward or backwards), they all share a common theme, and that is there is always some kind of ramification for messing with a timeline.

I mean if you think about it, what exactly is the benefit or payoff of sending the Scabbards from the past to the future? As it stands right now, absolutely nothing. Kaido rules unopposed for 20 years? That could have easily been achieved by the Scabbards escaping 20 years ago with Momo, and then training him and waiting for him to become much older so they could one day return to Wano, and he could reclaim the throne.

I feel like Oda chose the time travel route for a reason, because otherwise it's just a wasted opportunity, and doesn't accomplish anything in the grand scheme of things that couldn't be accomplished by some other means.
Post automatically merged:

And now that I think about it, it could be something like an imposed time limit. The scabbards have "X" amount of time to do what they set out to achieve, before getting pulled back into the past. This makes sense, because technically they are only capable of being in the Future due to Toki's Devil Fruit abilities. If she dies, then shouldn't the effects of her Devil Fruit wear off?

This could be extremely interesting in the sense that Oda could have Toki in the past fighting for her own survival, while the scabbards are in the future fighting for the Wano. Eventually Toki gets caught and executed, but not before the Scabbards achieve what they set out to do, and when she is executed, they are pulled back into their own timeline. Then they would have to wait 20 years to meet back up with the Straw Hats, and grow stronger from there, while it would pass by in the blink of an eye for the Straw Hats.

I know doing something like that could get extremely messy, but man if done correctly would be fucking phenomenal.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Time travel in all forms of fiction are always tricky
Think your entire post is right on the money, but I wanna emphasize this part for the folks who think there needs to be a realistic explanation for a completely fictional mechanic. We’ve followed a rubber asshole as he travels the world with his friends (including a sentient reindeer, a cyborg, a living skeleton, and a literal fishman) in the hopes of finding total absolution for the crimes he’s committed against a tyrannical oligarchy that rules the entire globe...but there HAS to be some verisimilitude for something that, again, has no real-world applications to begin with. Some people are just never gonna see the light here.

Think your entire post is right on the money, but I wanna emphasize this part for the folks who think there needs to be a realistic explanation for a completely fictional mechanic. We’ve followed a rubber asshole as he travels the world with his friends (including a sentient reindeer, a cyborg, a living skeleton, and a literal fishman) in the hopes of finding total absolution for the crimes he’s committed against a tyrannical oligarchy that rules the entire globe...but there HAS to be some verisimilitude for something that, again, has no real-world applications to begin with. Some people are just never gonna see the light here.
Yeah, it is kind of a nonsensical argument. I mean, time travel is ok, but for some reason there being some sort of ramification for said time travel is just going to far?

This is a weird post. There are no future versions of the scabbards.

Think of the timestream as a train line. They got off and re-entered at a future station. That's all there is to it.

The only way there would be future versions of them (and this is how it works in any time travel story where they meet their future self) If they somehow went back to the starting point and then lived their lives again. It's stated that this can't happen, so that ends it .

Yeah, it is kind of a nonsensical argument. I mean, time travel is ok, but for some reason there being some sort of ramification for said time travel is just going to far?
It's not really about being anal regarding a realistic depiction of time travel but that rather in the absence of an explanation about specific mechanics regarding time travel in the OP world it's wiser to default to how these things would actually work out.

That doesn't mean the OP world can't have strange things like devil fruits or altered laws of physics. Fiction often takes liberties regarding time travel, yes, but it would be poor form for events to occur as a result of fictional time travel mechanics that we the readers weren't already made very clear on prior. That removes any agency from the reader to predict events as the laws of the universe are able to be arbitrarily changed at the whims of the author.

I also can't recall any piece of fiction where characters rapidly age their bodies as a result of exclusively jumping forward. I'm sure they exist, but there must not be very many (at least not enough to inform an audience's preconceptions about rapid aging). There's all sorts of effects that have been depicted as a result of jumping backwards and into alternate timelines, of course. I think Oda is being very conservative and careful with regards to time travel which is why the time fruit has the exact limitations that it has.

This isn't the same situation as, say, the moon/outer space having (apparently) breathable oxygen as those facts were already implied to be the case when Enel wanted to leave Earth. Someone could then infer/predict aliens and interplanetary humans were a possibility before Oda revealed more about them.

Momo and the scabbards rapidly aging as a result of their forward jump wouldn't be predictable given what we know about Toki and her history with her powers. There are, like you've mentioned, other means of rapid aging in this universe but until we're shown other facts regarding time travel (and hopefully before the consequences of them have already transpired) there's really no reason to think their time travelling would be a cause.

I have mentioned this on several occasions and been shot down each time...it makes perfect fuckin’ sense, there have to be some delayed effects from traveling two decades into the future. Imagine Momo suddenly growing into his 28 year old self, being able to fight like an adult and (more importantly) ruling Wano in his father’s stead after all is said and done here. Otherwise, he’s just gonna be a sniveling eight-year-old punk with authority over an entire nation. Which outcome sounds better to y’all?
Left field idea what if Law swapped Momo's head on to an adults body... Who's Who comes to mind.

Never understood as flow of time as literally the physical time flowing, it´s more like an expression that underlines people being shaped (mentally, their motivations and so forth) by the time they live in. Heck, iirc correctly, Oda emphasized that recently in an interview.
Time is simply the 4th dimension we usually do not have access to, but the fruit allows that, so them traveling in that dimension should technically not have any consequences or repercussions, just like traveling in the other 3 dimension does not.

The purpose of that 20years timeskip was to meet Luffy, joy boy's reinc, the man who's at that time a PK in the making, same man who by fate will help them fight their oppressor and their biggest obstacle to peace and freedom.
Can't forget about that, mate. It's not mature Momo's fight, it's Luffy's.

And all the "good" samurais are extremely loyal to the rightful successor of the Throne, Momonosuke, anyway. So even if he's stays that young, it's no problem at all. Afterall Oda loves quirky, funny stuff.

And I think mature Momo will have his time in the epilogue. Imo he will be seen as a guardian deity of the land of Wano. A fair ruler, beloved by his people, who watches over Wano in his dragon Form. He will be that, what the Kaido propaganda pretends Kaido to be right now.
Powerful and pervy af.

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
How would Momo suddenly becoming an adult make him any better of a fighter? He missed out on 20 years of training, and he isn't a born monster like Oden. Plus how would his mental state change if he suddenly ages all at once instead of having 20 years of experiences to shape his mindset?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
How would Momo suddenly becoming an adult make him any better of a fighter? He missed out on 20 years of training, and he isn't a born monster like Oden. Plus how would his mental state change if he suddenly ages all at once instead of having 20 years of experiences to shape his mindset?
What are the benefits of him remaining an whiny little eight year old with zero control over his DF powers?? Your points are valid, but it still does nobody (most of all Momo) any good for him to stay a child in the heat of his country’s greatest war. At least in an adult body, there might be something he can contribute beyond the forced morale boosts Oda’s used him for thus far.