Yuno from House Grinberryall, Does It Undermine His Character?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10278
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10278

As the title says, Yuno has recently been revealed to be a noble. Case in point, does it undermine his character? A bit of context, one of the themes in this story has always been about how the nobles were always more well off than the commoners when it came to mana reserves and held powerful positions. And as a result, discrimination against commoners is rampant in the verse. Although several commoners have managed to climb the ranks, the reeking disgust is still portrayed to exist within the nobles. In comes Asta and Yuno, two dudes from the lowest of low realms, both with a chip on their shoulder and aiming to defy all odds to become the Wizard King. Yuno was always more talented but now that he’s been revealed to be the son of a noble house, doesn’t that undermine his relationship with Asta and their path to defy the odds in their climb up to the Wizard King title? Because if Yuno’s talents can partly be credited to his noble lineage then what is there to talk about in regards to his goal? Heck even the current Wizard King looks like he has a commoner background from what I can tell as far as I’ve read into the story, but what would be interesting about Yuno anymore? Ain’t like he was that interesting to begin with considering he was blowing by every other opponent for a good while. But being from the royal house of an entire Kingdom really undermines his character imo in regards to the portrayal of nobles, commoners and everything else in between.

@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@Light D Lamperouge
@Seth
And any other Lacking Clover fans

:jordanmf:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Posting here before I go to bed so I don't forget tomorrow lmao.

Shortly tho, I expected Yuno to have some heritage so I am not that surprised. We knew he was gonna be smth special from the start.

Heck even Asta might not be a commoner if we find out who his papa is.

The real from rags to riches guy is Zora.

D

Deleted member 10278

Posting here before I go to bed so I don't forget tomorrow lmao.

Shortly tho, I expected Yuno to have some heritage so I am not that surprised. We knew he was gonna be smth special from the start.

Heck even Asta might not be a commoner if we find out who his papa is.

The real from rags to riches guy is Zora.
That’s why Zora is one of the better characters in the series.

Asta probably remains a commoner tbh, considering his lack of mana if not then the author would really be messing up :risitavirus:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
That’s why Zora is one of the better characters in the series.

Asta probably remains a commoner tbh, considering his lack of mana if not then the author would really be messing up :risitavirus:
I think it's been stated or at least implied that Asta doesn't have mana because of his mom. She sucks out the mana from people.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I think the whole point of Yuno’s character was that he was supposed to have been effortlessly gifted/blessed from the start while Asta has had to actually work to achieve his dreams

Yuno has always been a character who just seemed to get stronger without ever struggling and without ever truly working hard

So no, it doesn’t ruin his character like say, a legendary lineage ruins Zoro for example. This is the entire point of Yuno’s character is that he gets all of his talent from natural blessings/destiny lol, so some great lineage is perfect for him.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
What? Didn’t know that lol, I stopped just before the Spade Kingdom arc so I wouldn’t have known but that sounds like the Greg dude or whatever his name was.
Yeah. I think it's pretty much implied that Asta doesn't have mana because his mom took all of it while pregnant.

like the Greg dude or whatever his name was.
You mean Henry lol? Btw, this is him now lol

Yuno was always more talented but now that he’s been revealed to be the son of a noble house, doesn’t that undermine his relationship with Asta and their path to defy the odds in their climb up to the Wizard King title?

From the very beginning, there were hints that something like this was probably the case for Yuno. In the first place, do you even realize how mythologically common the idea of a "Prince who was raised as a commoner and only finds out about his destiny later" actually is? Almost every culture under the sun has one of those stories central to their cultural mythos and the concept is almost universally beloved. In a series like Black Clover, parodying fantasy and focusing its discussions on the class system, obviously there was going to be someone like that, and obviously it would've been Yuno.

Calling the whole thing a "twist" is itself, honestly a bit silly. It was pretty obvious, even from the beginning.

And does it ruin the dynamic between the characters? Not at all really...

I mean, what did Yuno represent before? A noble man who society failed to see the noble nature of and was thus unfairly designated a commoner. And what is he now? A literal noble man, banished from his rightful throne due to the malice if societal inequality (represented through the dark triad), failed to be acknowledged for his noble nature, and was thus unfairly (though purposefully) designated as a commoner instead.

He still fits the archetype of the noble commoner to a T. Just in a more classically mythological version.