Yuno is not a good character

D

Dragomir

Before I start, lemme clear up the title: Yuno is not a good character in my opinion. If you believe that he is, that's perfectly fine. Just know, that this is my opinion. Okay, let's start this.

The problem I have with Yuno is that he doesn't struggle. He is quite literally gifted with everything that he gets. Yes, I know that he was born with lots of talent but that doesn't excuse his constant jumps of power. We've been told that he works hard but we've never seen it. Being told is not good enough, it needs to be shown to our eyes in order for it to have any sort of merit, imo. Let's look at Noelle for example. Just like Yuno, she was born with immense talent as a Royal but she's had to work hard to achieve the level of power she has now. From being mocked by her siblings for her lack of magic control to now having a valkyrie water armor that she dons for battle. Her path of progression has been clear for us to see and it's been filled with adversity that she had to overcome. We can relate to her.

Yuno on the other hand has hardly faced any sort of adversity. He solos his fights without much struggle and hardly faces failure. New magic powers that we've been introduced to are straight up given to him. Mana Skin, for example, Leopold and Noelle were struggling to use it during the volcano training and we saw how only the Captains could use it leisurely, but lo and behold, Yuno can use it with the same level of effort as a Captain–even though that was his first time ever–because "of course he can." Same thing with Mana Zone, we see Sisgoleon use it like a boss and in pretty much the same episode, Yuno uses it too as if he had it the whole time. Where's the struggle, the training, the adversity? Man's getting freebies. I believe the last time he was struggling in a fight was the fight with Mars but Sylph came in and saved him iirc. And yeah, Sylph is also a freebie. Fuegoleon had trained for years with his grimoire and endured likely many battles for him to be considered worthy for Salamander to want him, but after like a year with his grimoire, Yuno gets Sylph? Doesn't really add up to me.

With Asta, we see how much shit he's had to go through to get so strong(minus the time skip) and it's incredibly rewarding to see him go ham on his opponents in a fight because it's deserving. Moreover, multiple of his fights have been won through teamwork and it's great to see that Asta simply can't do it alone simply because he's the protagonist. While Yuno the deuteragonist is doing EVERYTHING alone and soloing his fights.

One of Yuno's fights that angers me the most is the fight against Rill during the Royal Magic Knights exam. I dunno about you, but Rill should have bodied him. He's a goddamn Captain for crying out loud. I get it, Yuno is very talented and has a tremendous amount of magic, but I think this would have been a great time for him to be humbled by suffering a defeat. But instead, he won the match, not by defeating Rill but he won it nonetheless. From the perspective of the viewer, Yuno's path to power has been a cakewalk. I can't relate to that. He is human. He should struggle and face failure at times. By overcoming that failure, he develops.

And besides that, his character itself is boring. I personally find the cool exterior that he constantly has to be quite lame. I've already seen it in Sasuke and many other anime characters. He's not really his own character but more or less a copycat of other anime characters. The development within him is damn near non-existent and he's remained static for a majority of this show. Now, I'm only on chapter 235 so if Yuno has changed since then, then great! I look forward to seeing it.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on Yuno's character as of now. Share yours below!

Yuno has that protagonist-deuteragonist OP-ness that most shonen series have.

Only one that doesn’t is OP, and by East blue standards Luffy and Zoro are monsters. Heck they are the strongest beings in their entire sea !

Calypso

"It is warm within the mansions of Hel"
I like yuno.. but mostly because of his look.

He is the one of chatavter who barely need to do anything to accomplish things. He was talented from the start due to reasons (no spoilers here for those whote not that far in manga).

His sylph is just annoying. He has a good personality but he kinda feel not-important besides being Asta's rival.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
As @Admiral Lee Hung said, I've never considered Yuno a great character and all. I can't deny that I like that type of character, talented, smart, cool, strong. I like him more than Asta. But that's it. He's all of that, but not that great. He's fine, and when you catch up you might have a bit of a different opinion yourself.

Agreed 100%. I'd like to add that Yuno's dream isn't even original if you think about it. He wants to be the WK because Asta wanted it, not because he has a reason to seek the throne unlike Asta.
And Astra has the best reason to seek the throne !

Banging Sister Lilly ! :cheers:
Post automatically merged:

Screw nakama, protecting the innocent, fighting, joining fairy tail, that is the best MC motivation ever !

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Yuno is better than Asta but mad overrated.

His character consists of getting random powerups because he's just that gifted and also partly because he has to stay above Asta, being the bland silent and stoic type, and saying " Asta is my rival" 24/7.

Only in recent chapters has there been any noticeable shift in Yuno's character. He needs alot more though .

D

Dragomir

I’ve never thought Yuno was “good”, he exists as the opposite to Asta who’s always had to work hard for everything he has while Yuno gets most things for free.

But if you posted this thread on chapter 235...you may be a bit premature lol.
If that was the author's intention with Yuno's character then I believe that it was a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with being talented; many people are in our world, but to become #1 at anything, hard work and grit are gonna have to come with it too. So to see Yuno getting freebie after freebie is very annoying and aggravating to me. A lot of things could have been done differently for the better imo. With Mana Zone, for example, instead of just giving it to him and acting like "Of course Yuno can use!" we could have seen have gain it during a fight that he was struggling in. And it was through that which he gained the power-up. Would have been similar to how Asta unlocked his Black Asta form. Yuno gaining Mana Zone through a fight still shows how talented of a mage he is, since it is a very advanced technique, without making it a freebie.
As @Admiral Lee Hung said, I've never considered Yuno a great character and all. I can't deny that I like that type of character, talented, smart, cool, strong. I like him more than Asta. But that's it. He's all of that, but not that great. He's fine, and when you catch up you might have a bit of a different opinion yourself.
I guess I can understand why someone would like that type of character seeing how popular Itachi, Sasuke, Madara, and Aizen were who also exhibited those such traits. But they brought a lot more to the table than he is. Aizen was a brilliant mastermind, Madara saved the 4th Shinobi War from being uninteresting and made it fun. Sasuke had something personal that drove him which the viewer could relate to and Itachi's entire character is quite complex which I don't wanna dive in to but you get the idea. Yuno is just cool and talented. Nothing else. I personally have trouble not seeing him as anything more than a bad character.
Unpopular opinion but Lilly is literal trash
Agreed. There's nothing to like about her.
Yuno is better than Asta but mad overrated.
I disagree with you on this. I like Asta a lot tbh.

His character consists of getting random powerups because he's just that gifted and also partly because he has to stay above Asta, being the bland silent and stoic type, and saying " Asta is my rival" 24/7.

Only in recent chapters has there been any noticeable shift in Yuno's character. He needs alot more though .
100% agreed bro. If after 250+ chapters he finally gets some development, then great! Again, I look forward to seeing it and will revisit his character afterward. But man...it's just hard for me to like this guy lol.
His sylph is just annoying.
Indeed. She is trash. Literal shit. Worst pet/creature character in Shonen.

I know I'm being a little harsh on Yuno here and can be a bit premature since I haven't caught up yet, but I hope y'all can understand it.

Yuno is just plain boring character, except his talent there is nothing much interesting about him just another Sasuke exact copies with handsome face with talent.

He need Asta, Charmy, his slyph, his team mate to make his character is readable/watchable. If he alone in a chapter/episode then it simply plain boring