Character Discussion Zoro the Phoenix of Wano and Kaido the Dragon.

Do you agree on Zoro being Wano's Phoenix?

• Total voters
This is my second thread on the forum. But more importantly this is my first Zoro thread. Please be gentle. :smoothy:
And yes, you didn't misread the title of this thread. But please stay with me because I will show you the reason why I chose that title.

First, please have a pic of Zoro and his "Stand". And no, by no mean I aim to disrespect Marco, the Goat, via this thread, so hear me out if you have time.

I don't really know about you guys, but ever since I was a child, I've been putting dragon and phoenix at the absolute top of the "animal world". And in Feng Shui, they represent Yin and Yang, kinda the opposite to one another but also mesh with each other. Let me elaborate what I mean by that.

Zoro and Kaido are made for each other.

We can see that there are similarities between Kaido and Zoro, namely their desire to be strong.
  • Kaido is stated to climb up the ladder by fighting strong foes and gaining their respect.
    • The same is true for Zoro.
  • Kaido loves booze.
    • So does Zoro.
  • Zoro has a strong sense of honour/pride.
    • Kaido used to has it as well (to a certain extent only, more specifically in fights, as he killed the old woman for ruining his fight, didn't use Kanjuro via Orochi to take hostage of his family while knowing Oden's plan and openly admires Oden's as well as other grand figures' death).
  • Both have tasted multiple defeats.
But also many differences, notably their heart.
  • Zoro is so fricking kind, he agreed to be starved while being put on a cross for more than a week to save a stranger.
    • Kaido straight up starved a whole country saves for the capital.
  • Zoro uses his strength to help other.
    • While Kaido uses his strength in order to destroy.
  • Kaido lost his honour/pride. (From a war loving beast to a dude traumatized by rocks, a real pirate as core and follows the teaching of betrayal. Haunted by Oden. Tried to kill his own child. Brushing over his debt to Big Mom.)
    • While Zoro never lost his. He had to learn to swallow it for his greater desires but it is different from losing it.
  • Kaido has remained stagnated for many years after becoming a Yonko (this doesn't mean he hasn't been getting stronger, just that he hasn't been getting closer at his goal).
    • While Zoro is still growing rapidly wether it's about his strength or reaching his goal.
Both seem similar on a surface yet cannot be more different when looking closer. Just like both Yin and Yang. Personally I think Oda deliberately made the choice for Marco to be the one getting Zoro on the roof. That's why right from the start of the plan, Zou, Oda made sure to highlight that Marco is an important factor in this arc. Marco was there for us to see the phoenix to Kaido's dragon is Zoro.

I know that Zoro's animal is a tiger. But phoenix is the perfect pick to symbolize Zoro for this arc.
  • It is a mythical animal on par with dragon on the top.
    • Zoro's aim of being a World Strongest title holder.
  • Usually weilds fire related powers.
  • Is a symbol of rebirth. One of the most important themes of One Piece is Inhirited Will. There won't be a better animal to represent this idea.
    • There are a lot of details pointing to the second coming of Ryuma through Zoro starting from Thriller Park and even earlier in the story (BoAT related to Wano's teaching, his background from the Shimotsuki village in East Blue, his goal).
    • Zoro inherited Oden's katana, Enma. Katana is stated to contains the previous owner's will/wish.
    • Zoro himself declared that he wants to do what Oden failed to.
  • Phoenix dies by burning to ashes, ignited by the sun. Then it arises from its ashes and regrows from the beginning.
    • Zoro's Wano's outfit's pattern is the sun.
      • In Chinese mythology, phoenix is said to symbolize the six celestial bodies.
        • The sun on Zoro's Wano's outfit has 6 outer parts pointing out, all wrapping around the sun.
    • To add to that, Zoro's Onigashima's outfit has the color of ashes.
      • Which leads me to believe that Zoro, as all the others who are on the roof will all get knocked out at one point.
        • But Zoro will get up, and goes topless, basically rising from the ashes like a phoenix would and be stronger.
        • People often forget about Zoro's haramaki (bellyband) but imo, it's almost on the same level of the Zoro's hachimaki (headband), and Zoro's haramaki has green color which symbolizes life, fitting the rebirth theme.
      • The defeat of Kaido by Zoro whose primary color is green marks the start of the rebirth of a green Wano that Ryuma and Oden once fought to defend.
    • Zoro's journey so far can be seen as a regrowing process of a reborn phoenix (Second coming of Ryuma).
Kaido being a dragon is also really fitting.
  • It is on the top with phoenix.
    • Kaido is a holder of the World Strongest's titles.
  • Also have fire related powers.
  • Is a symbol of greed, terror, power. No animal would be a better fit for Kaido.
    • Kaido is a Yonko, one of the only four pirates powerful enough to call themselves Emperors of the Sea. Dragon is also often used to potray a Ruler.
    • He rules over Wano with an iron fist. His terror knows no bounds as he turned the evergreen Wano into his own weaponshop. He makes the people suffer so much they even started to worship him as a deity guardians out of fear.
    • Kaido only started business with Orochi because the later could afford his exorbitant prices, as seen in Orochi emptying several castles' safes to pay his bills.
  • But dragon also represents stagnation, and usually a paradox to show absurdities.
    • Kaido enjoys reigning over his own turf for many years, deep in the pleasures his territory can offer.
      • Just like Smaug, Kaido has been in a long slumber, not awaring of the imminent dangers.
    • He couldn't make a move while Whitebeard was still there, but even with the later gone, he still hasn't done anything yet.
      • Dragon knows to scale their oppenents just like how Shenlong bended before Beerus.
      • Kaido, self-proclaimed warmonger, was too afraid to have an all out war against Big Mom.
      • Traumatized by falling rocks for some yet to explained reasons.
As you can see, Yin and Yang, Phoenix and Dragon, Zoro and Kaido. They all go in pair. Comparable yet so distinct. They are two sides of the same coin.
For those above mentioned reasons, potrays and a myriad of other theories/essays on this topic, I believe that ZKK will happen.

Another reason for that is, just like how Bard the Bowman killed Smaug while him not being the main character that is Bilbo Baggins or Thorin Oakenshield all the while not having that much foreshadows of that event. Nothing's wrong with Zoro taking the feat over Luffy, especially not while him being the second most important character on the roof and having a tons of foreshadows. If you are to say it's bad writing when the main protagonist doesn't get the feat then it's the same as saying the Hobbit, the godfather of fantasy genre, is badly written.

To conclude, Zoro is Kaido's phoenix and Kaido is Zoro's dragon. They are a fated "couple" just like how these two legendary animals are in the Feng Shui.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
This is my second thread on the forum. But more importantly this is my first Zoro thread. Please be gentle. :smoothy:
And yes, you didn't misread the title of this thread. But please stay with me because I will show you the reason why I chose that title.

First, please have a pic of Zoro and his "Stand". And no, by no mean I aim to disrespect Marco, the Goat, via this thread, so hear me out if you have time.

I don't really know about you guys, but ever since I was a child, I've been putting dragon and phoenix at the absolute top of the "animal world". And in Feng Shui, they represent Yin and Yang, kinda the opposite to one another but also mesh with each other. Let me elaborate what I mean by that.

We can see that there are similarities between Kaido and Zoro, namely their desire to be strong.
  • Kaido is stated to climb up the ladder by fighting strong foes and gaining their respect.
  • Kaido loves booze.
    • So does Zoro.
    • Kaido used to has it as well (to a certain extent only, more specifically in fights, as he killed the old woman for ruining his fight, didn't use Kanjuro via Orochi to take hostage of his family while knowing Oden's plan and openly admires Oden's as well as other grand figures' death).
  • Zoro is so fricking kind, he agreed to be starved while being put on a cross for more than a week to save a stranger.
  • Kaido lost his honour/pride. (From a war loving beast to a dude traumatized by rocks, a real pirate as core and follows the teaching of betrayal. Haunted by Oden. Tried to kill his own child. Brushing over his debt to Big Mom.)
    • While Zoro never lost his. He had to learn to swallow it for his greater desires but it is different from losing it.
  • Kaido has remained stagnated for many years after becoming a Yonko (this doesn't mean he hasn't been getting stronger, just that he hasn't been getting closer at his goal).
    • While Zoro is still growing rapidly wether it's about his strength or reaching his goal.
Both seem similar on a surface yet cannot be more different when looking closer. Just like both Yin and Yang. Personally I think Oda deliberately made the choice for Marco to be the one getting Zoro on the roof. That's why right from the start of the plan, Zou, Oda made sure to highlight that Marco is an important factor in this arc. Marco was there for us to see the phoenix to Kaido's dragon is Zoro.

I know that Zoro's animal is a tiger. But phoenix is the perfect pick to symbolize Zoro for this arc.
  • Is a symbol of rebirth. One of the most important themes of One Piece is Inhirited Will. There won't be a better animal to represent this idea.
    • There are a lot of details pointing to the second coming of Ryuma through Zoro starting from Thriller Park and even earlier in the story (BoAT related to Wano's teaching, his background from the Shimotsuki village in East Blue, his goal).
    • Zoro inherited Oden's katana, Enma. Katana is stated to contains the previous owner's will/wish.
  • Phoenix dies by burning to ashes, ignited by the sun. Then it arises from its ashes and regrows from the beginning.
        • The sun on Zoro's Wano's outfit has 6 outer parts pointing out, all wrapping around the sun.
      • Which leads me to believe that Zoro, as all the others who are on the roof will all get knocked out at one point.
        • But Zoro will get up, and goes topless, basically rising from the ashes like a phoenix would and be stronger.
        • People often forget about Zoro's haramaki (bellyband) but imo, it's almost on the same level of the Zoro's hachimaki (headband), and Zoro's haramaki has green color which symbolizes life, fitting the rebirth theme.
      • The defeat of Kaido by Zoro whose primary color is green marks the start of the rebirth of a green Wano that Ryuma and Oden once fought to defend.
    • Zoro's journey so far can be seen as a regrowing process of a reborn phoenix (Second coming of Ryuma).
  • Is a symbol of greed, terror, power. No animal would be a better fit for Kaido.
    • Kaido is a Yonko, one of the only four pirates powerful enough to call themselves Emperors of the Sea. Dragon is also often used to potray a Ruler.
    • He rules over Wano with an iron fist. His terror knows no bounds as he turned the evergreen Wano into his own weaponshop. He makes the people suffer so much they even started to worship him as a deity guardians out of fear.
    • Kaido only started business with Orochi because the later could afford his exorbitant prices, as seen in Orochi emptying several castles' safes to pay his bills.
  • But dragon also represents stagnation, and usually a paradox to show absurdities.
    • Kaido enjoys reigning over his own turf for many years, deep in the pleasures his territory can offer.
      • Just like Smaug, Kaido has been in a long slumber, not awaring of the imminent dangers.
    • He couldn't make a move while Whitebeard was still there, but even with the later gone, he still hasn't done anything yet.
      • Dragon knows to scale their oppenents just like how Shenlong bended before Beerus.
      • Kaido, self-proclaimed warmonger, was too afraid to have an all out war against Big Mom.
As you can see, Yin and Yang, Phoenix and Dragon, Zoro and Kaido. They all go in pair. Comparable yet so distinct. They are two sides of the same coin.
For those above mentioned reasons, potrays and a myriad of other theories/essays on this topic, I believe that ZKK will happen.

Another reason for that is, just like how Bard the Bowman killed Smaug while him not being the main character that is Bilbo Baggins or Thorin Oakenshield all the while not having that much foreshadows of that event. Nothing's wrong with Zoro taking the feat over Luffy, especially not while him being the second most important character on the roof and having a tons of foreshadows. If you are to say it's bad writing when the main protagonist doesn't get the feat then it's the same as saying the Hobbit, the godfather of fantasy genre, is badly written.

To conclude, Zoro is Kaido's phoenix and Kaido is Zoro's dragon. They are a fated "couple" just like how these two legendary animals are in the Feng Shui.

Aren't the Ying Yang animals the Seiryuu (east) and the Byakko (west)?
And isn't Suzaku (south), the "phoenix", not actually a phoenix? Despite being similar to the chinese phoenix in apperance, Suzaku is not actually a phoenix. At least that's what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Right or wrong, and despite I not agreeing with it, it's a very nice written thread. Enjoyed reading it.
:sweat:

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
I did a little research and the South Bird and East Dragon are indeed put together as opposites quite often, not the Tiger.
Good to know.
Going back to the topic.
The Suzaku is said to appear in times of good fortune. This kinda bothers me because when we see Zoro for the first time post TS, he cuts down some pirate's ship and tell them something like "you should curse fate for putting such a plague in your way", or something like that.
He was represented as a sign of misfortune (for enemies, but misfortune nonetheless).
The Vermilion Bird is also associated with the female genre, demonstrating characteristics as "noble and elegant". Also doesn't quite fit Zoro's portrayal. He is noble, I give you that. But elegant? Dont know about that one.
The "Fire element" thing also doesn't quite hold, because the Azure Dragon's element is "Wood". Since we don't see such correlation for Kaido, doesn't really make sense to expect it for Zoro.
Not only that, both Luffy, Sanji and Franky are somewhat capable of using Fire abilities. Zoro doesn't seen special just because of it.
I dont particularly care if ZKK happens or not. Only that, if it does, it is done in a satisfactory manner. But I truly don't see it happening.
I think the points you made are good, but I don't feel like they hold much ground.
What do you think?

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
I think Zoro is a predestined man by Oda.

Marco mentioned about the WorstGen when carrying Zoro, people undervalue this notion. One could say it's just because he is part of it, yet undervaluing the implications of that when we consider the fact Enma was bestowed upon him and he accepted to carry the deeds of Oden and finish the job.

Blother Fertitta

Real Ni**er Blother

• Kaido loves booze.
    • So does Zoro.

:crazwhat::christindeed:
:lumazed:

Roronoa-sama

Magic Sword, Magic Swordsman, and Can Cut Anything

• Kaido loves booze.
    • So does Zoro.

zoro and his first captain is enough to defeat kaido and the calamalities:cheers:

that's some deep point's you got there.
when zoro defeated ryuma. ryuma's corps was engulfed in flames which may symbolize the death of a legend and before he's turned into ash he gave his beloved sword with his legacy to zoro signaling the rebirth of the legend.
swords carry inside them their master's will so zoro giving shisui back to wano is like bringing ryuma back home.