One Piece Episode 963 - Oden's Determination! Whitebeard's Test!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • 4/5

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2/5

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Oden was hyped by Oda so much,do you think the anime would let defeated him such easily without having the initial clash of the battle from Oda. You know how big Oden was for the story,that is like Toei letting Kaido defeating easily by someone. Im sure such a move is something with say speaking up already with Oda. In the fact Oden try to travel via forcing WB with power but he fail and beg to travel with them,now it make sense why. He was defeated by WB.

In that case not by a all out WB ofc, Whitebeard overpowered Oden strongest attack without using himself haki or even awakening.
I think Oden used "Tougen Shirataki" againts WB. It's the same attack he used againts that monster boar rather than "Tougen Totsuka", the ultimate move he did to Kaido.

I think Oden used "Tougen Shirataki" againts WB. It's the same attack he used againts that monster boar rather than "Tougen Totsuka", the ultimate move he did to Kaido.
You are right I switch up the names he use Shirataki while Totsuka was use against Kaido. But still Shirataki was a very powerfull move and Oden second strongest seen move. He use haki and try to win the battle and force WB to travel alongside with him.

Losing this WB is not the big deal though, we know Oden became far stronger during the 5years with travelling under WB and Roger.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Good episode.

Newgate vs Oden was great, and the outcome was expected. No way was a wet behind the ears Oden, without worldly experience ever going to beat the strongest man at/close to his prime. Though he still put up a valiant effort. The animation and direction was great.

My favorite part of the episode was all the extra detail between Oden and his vassals. I like how they treat him like a rambunctious child. Gave a very Straw Hat Pirates feel when the crew tries to reel Luffy in. Oden's even a terrible liar like Luffy.

Oden's ordeal to join was very well handled. I could feel the struggle and determination to pass it. Oden's seiyuu, Hiroya Ishimaru, just fits so well in the role by selling Oden's boisterous and eccentric personality.

Toki makes her appearance, and I like her colors and voice. She feels sort of alien in how she looks compared to everyone else, which makes sense since she's from the distant past. Gives the ancient era more mystique, in my eyes. Oden reacting to her being in danger from a large distance reminded me of Sanji's acute women senses. Judging from the preview, they waste no time getting busy starting a family. lol

Roger's also gonna enter the scene soon, so that's another thing to look forward to.

• The Oden stride is so good that Toei can't help but reuse it.:goyea:
  • Oden sounds so happy jumping at Whitebeard and laughing, but the soundtrack makes him look so evil and menacing.:suresure:

• Did Whitebeard's bisento shoot a spinning quake disk?

• I'm actually surprised the coast line looks intact after Whitebeard used his power.
  • Oden with pleading puppy dog eyes:neesama:

• Neko spills his oden when Whitebeard hints at the fate of the Rocks crew. Nice symbolism.

• Akainu sighting!:absojustice: The flashback eyecatchers are a blessing.
  • Oden in his night gown. :happinesspunch:Oden is a an endless source of manservice.
  • Just rename this guy TsundereBeard. Everyone sees past his tough guy act now.:milaugh:
  • Based on amount of dialogue this episode, Whitey Bay is the second most prominent WB subordinate after Marco.:finally:

• Something about Toki's voice work makes her sound especially ancient and classical. Great match for old man Oden.

• Gear Oden! Sanjiman: Stuffed Version
Good episode. Whitebeard and Oden deliver some nice eyecandy with a CoC clash and WB busting out the quakes to stop Oden's signature move. Yeah, Oden tanking a Primebeard quake punch with no broken bones or bleeding looks weak, probably why Whitebeard didn't destroy the coast and sink his own ship in the process. But it accentuates Whitebeard's point that Oden is a dangerous man who doesn't listen to anyone and requires a struggle to put down. They're not inviting the Ace that was pounded dozens of times by Sleepbeard into the crew. OST choices not bad but they could have done better imo. Oden in the chain being dragged through vicious currents looked gorgeous, I liked seeing the ship jump off the waterfall and Marco using his power to save Izo.

Next episode not looking to cover that much content, probably trying to slow down here. An entire episode of Whitebeard and Oden's adventures sounds just great to me. It's just so rare that we get a peak at the journeys of other pirate crews, since the cover stories are Persona Non Grata to the anime.