Questions & Mysteries Worst Anime Adaptations

Might be an unpopular opinion but FMA03 is horrendously separated from the main theme of the manga and it’s just a super edgy anime

wether you like it or not(I don’t) you have to agree it’s just a bad “adaptation”

Being seperate from the source material doesn't necessarily make something a bad adaptation.
It pretty much does.

If a studio makes a series with a different cast, with different motivations for the original characters, with a different story filled with different themes then is it really an "adaptation" or is it just a completely different story that is wearing the skin of a recognised franchise?

You cannot peel an orange, slap the orange skin onto an apple and then claim that said apple is an orange. Lol.

Being seperate from the source material doesn't necessarily make something a bad adaptation.

I actually think Trigun is a pretty solid adaptation, even though it is massively different.
The anime actually does a good job at conveying Van’s struggles and themes thought. FMA03 abandoned a lot of the manga’s core issues and themes like revenge, atonement, the search for the truth etc

It pretty much does.

If a studio makes a series with a different cast, with different motivations for the original characters, with a different story filled with different themes then is it really an "adaptation" or is it just a completely different story that is wearing the skin of a recognised franchise?

You cannot peel an orange, slap the orange skin onto an apple and then claim that said apple is an orange. Lol.
No it doesn't. I don't subscribe to fidelty criticism.

There are plenty of stories which are totally different from their source material that are still considered adaptations. You don't need the same cast, same motivations or anything like that to not be considered an adaptation.

One of my favourite adaptations ever is Akira Kurosawa's Ran, which is adapting King Lear. Its a radically different from King Lear, but is still widely considered an adaptation. Hell, from my understanding, the director of Ran didn't even have King Lear in mind initially, it just sort of turned out that way.

The anime actually does a good job at conveying Van’s struggles and themes thought. FMA03 abandoned a lot of the manga’s core issues and themes like revenge, atonement, the search for the truth etc
You could certainly say that makes it a very different beast from the source material.

In saying that, I typically don't care for rankings of subjective terms for adaptations like "good" or "bad", because it is a very subjective thing.

No it doesn't. I don't subscribe to fidelty criticism.

There are plenty of stories which are totally different from their source material that are still considered adaptations. You don't need the same cast, same motivations or anything like that to not be considered an adaptation.

One of my favourite adaptations ever is Akira Kurosawa's Ran, which is adapting King Lear. Its a radically different from King Lear, but is still widely considered an adaptation. Hell, from my understanding, the director of Ran didn't even have King Lear in mind initially, it just sort of turned out that way.
So let me get this straight....

A story set in a different time period, in a different continent, in a different culture, with a different cast, with nobody even having the name Lear, with the creator supposedly not even setting out to create an adaptation in the first place and is at best only taking inspiration from a centuries old story...... Is somehow considered an adaptation?

That sounds completely bullshit. :rolaugh:

Yeah, it can be a perfectly good film but an adaptation? Nah son, that is way too much of a stretch.

That would be like saying the Lion King is an adaptation of Hamlet. Lel.

Big difference between taking inspiration from something and making an adaptation.

If it's "radically different" from King Lear then it ain't King Lear.

So let me get this straight....

A story set in a different time period, in a different continent, in a different culture, with a different cast, with nobody even having the name Lear, with the creator supposedly not even setting out to create an adaptation in the first place and is at best only taking inspiration from a centuries old story...... Is somehow considered an adaptation?
Dude. Its widely academically is considered an adaptation of King Lear. Its one of the most notable adaptations of King Lear as well for the very reasons you listed.

So yes, it is considered an adaptation of King Lear.
Yeah, it can be a perfectly good film but an adaptation? Nah son, that is way too much of a stretch.
No, its not that much of a stretch at all.

Literally anyone whose taken any form of adaptation class recognizes Ran as an adaptation of King Lear.

Like, its a pretty obvious thing. Its even mentioned on the wikipedia page(14 times at that).
Post automatically merged:

Big difference between taking inspiration from something and making an adaptation.

If it's "radically different" from King Lear then it ain't King Lear.
There's a difference between taking inspiration and retelling the story of King Lear in a Japanese context.

And its something that they were very creatively aware of.

Last edited:

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
damn this looks very disgusting
Yeah. It's a shame.
Well folks, Record of Ragnarok can now be added to the ever growing list of great mangas with shite anime adaptations.

This time it is mostly just garbage tier animation. Yet another still image, PowerPoint slideshow presentation specialty from Netflix.
Thor vs Lu Bu was the only decent fight. Adam vs Zeus got ruined by slideshow presentation at the end while Sasaki vs Poseidon suddenly lose its sounds at the end. Like what the fuck Lmao.

Beelzebub tho the manga fell of the rails as well later towards then end but i really like it back in the day.

Rosario+Vampire it's by far one of the worst adaptation ever made. They literally just adapted the beginning of manga, which is terrible and completed the rest with garbage (season 2 is completely filler). It's a shame because manga improves a lot, both in art and plot. Part 2 fights are great.

I recommend you to read the manga, even if you didn't like the anime. Leaving the generic ecchi/harem aside(just in the first 10 chapters), it's a pretty fun piece.

Def agree with this they pretty much just turned into a generic fan service harem. They skipped over mc having ghoul powers and the structure of the fights and story was different.

Promised Neverland S2 is another huge disappointment. Season 1 is great, and it’s probably the best arc in the series. Season 2 could have been awesome, but they decided, for some reason, to skip massive amounts of story and just jump straight to the ending.

Red Night

Chise and Joseph
Tokyo Ghoul. I don't talk about Tokyo Ghoul:Re here.

It was useful for people to discover the manga but the anime adaptation was a disaster.
The story has changed. The animation of the first part was okay but the 2nd part is a colossal shit on Sui Ishida.