Character Discussion I'll say it: Did Oda ruin Sanji ?

Did Oda ruin Sanji ?

• Total voters
Hello everyone,
First i will say that i am a Zoro fan but Sanji used to be one my favourite characters in OP and maybe in anime overall.
I think we all agree that Oda's handling of Sanji was generally bad since the timeskip.
He turned up the pervertiness to 100 and gone were the cool unique moments that he used to have each arc. Sanji also turned into a hypetool for some reason.
In PH Sanji was used to hype Vergo. In Dressrosa he was used to hype Doflamingo.

In Zou Sanji left the crew to save them and Zeff from Big Mom which in my opinion was a great moment and very Sanji like.
Then in WCI we had Sanji vs Luffy which was not cool in my book. Sanj also looked weaker/similar to his family instead of proving his superiority to them and had no 1v1.
And Sanji's arc ended with me feeling that Sanji was ... unfulfilled ?

In Wano we had the raid suit which was unpopular among almost everyone because of one reason: it fundamentally changed Sanji.
Sanji had a solid showing against P1 and Drake and was looking to be back to his best.
Then he was used again in that awful Black Maria plot. Why? To stall Zoro's rooftop? To hype Robin?
In Queen's fight he looked capable and strong but then .. DJ is a product from judge ?
I mean that is his signature move, when you remember Sanji you remember Diable Jambe. Now Oda is here to change it after 500 chapters?
The exoskeleton was expected since WCI and it was set up. That's doesn't make it any better. I know he had to find a way to make Sanji stronger but there were 100 ways to do that. He has Sanji himself admit that he hates becoming that thing.

I for one would have LOVED to have Zoro/Sanji hit a wall and realize they need to get stronger for Luffy. So they swallow it up and train each other in their respective strengths: CoA/CoO. But God forbid Oda have the strawhats train haki, he would rather have them running around being useless like Usopp and Nami in this arc.
Oda could have given Sanji more fights and have him develop his Observation to higher standards which should be his strength as per Oda's words.
Now we are stuck with Franky 2.0 but much worse, because Franky at least develops his powers himself but it is looking like almost every power up Sanji had or will have in the future, is solely down to Judge with no input whatsoever from Sanji.

I really don't know why you would fundamentally change one of your most popular characters and give them a 180° after 1000 chapters where Sanji was that really cool guy to turn him into a pseudo cyborg and i can't understand that decision.

This is not a hate thread, if you enjoy Sanji's new developments then i envy you, it means that you enjoy the story more than i do and that's the most important thing after all. I just wanted to rant a little.

Oda introduced the plot of Sanji with his germa family 200 chapters ago for the sole purpose of making Sanji stronger.

Why? Because Sanji is rly young and the crew is going straight to raftel without more time skips, and in this short period of time Sanji needs to become top tier, because he always fought strong opponents.

Now you can like this plot with germa and exoskeleton or not, it does not matter, Oda already made his mind.
Sanji cant be like Garp, because Garp had many years at his disposal to become strong, Sanji needs to do it in months.

Other people get power ups non stop, Chopper has better drugs now, Nami upgraded herself with zeus, Zolo gets random powerful swords, Luffy keeps advancing in gears and modes from his devil fruit, some of those went form mid shichibukai level to almost yonko tier and probably solid yonko tier at the end of wano, all this in some months.

Sanji? Sanji had almost no PU, and Oda needed to invent something for him, he went in this direction of Sanji having a strong body, that can suit his brawler fighting style. It is what it is. Oda doest care what we thing, Oda does not care if some of you wanted Sanji to be like Garp, because this is imposible at this point in story, where Luffys crew needs to become the strongest crew in the world, and to conquer the WG, all while Sanji being 22 yr, Luffy 19yr and so on.

So no, for the trolls and randoms, oda didnt destroyed Sanji, he made this plot for Sanji to become stronger, and thats all.

I will say it again pre ts had Mr prince moments that's what we are missing from post ts, oh and him getting captured by black maria was extremely stupid yes robin moments fantastic but sanji getting captured made me hit my limit with post ts sanji of him getting embarrassed, oda just needs to don't do any more equaly stupid shit with sanji and bring back mr prince I will be happy.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
First i will say that i am a Zoro fan but Sanji used to be one my favourite characters in OP and maybe in anime overall.
I think we all agree that Oda's handling of Sanji was generally bad since the timeskip.
He turned up the pervertiness to 100 and gone were the cool unique moments that he used to have each arc. Sanji also turned into a hypetool for some reason.
In PH Sanji was used to hype Vergo. In Dressrosa he was used to hype Doflamingo.

In Zou Sanji left the crew to save them and Zeff from Big Mom which in my opinion was a great moment and very Sanji like.
Then in WCI we had Sanji vs Luffy which was not cool in my book. Sanj also looked weaker/similar to his family instead of proving his superiority to them and had no 1v1.
And Sanji's arc ended with me feeling that Sanji was ... unfulfilled ?

In Wano we had the raid suit which was unpopular among almost everyone because of one reason: it fundamentally changed Sanji.
Sanji had a solid showing against P1 and Drake and was looking to be back to his best.
Then he was used again in that awful Black Maria plot. Why? To stall Zoro's rooftop? To hype Robin?
In Queen's fight he looked capable and strong but then .. DJ is a product from judge ?
I mean that is his signature move, when you remember Sanji you remember Diable Jambe. Now Oda is here to change it after 500 chapters?
The exoskeleton was expected since WCI and it was set up. That's doesn't make it any better. I know he had to find a way to make Sanji stronger but there were 100 ways to do that. He has Sanji himself admit that he hates becoming that thing.

I for one would have LOVED to have Zoro/Sanji hit a wall and realize they need to get stronger for Luffy. So they swallow it up and train each other in their respective strengths: CoA/CoO. But God forbid Oda have the strawhats train haki, he would rather have them running around being useless like Usopp and Nami in this arc.
Oda could have given Sanji more fights and have him develop his Observation to higher standards which should be his strength as per Oda's words.
Now we are stuck with Franky 2.0 but much worse, because Franky at least develops his powers himself but it is looking like almost every power up Sanji had or will have in the future, is solely down to Judge with no input whatsoever from Sanji.

I really don't know why you would fundamentally change one of your most popular characters and give them a 180° after 1000 chapters where Sanji was that really cool guy to turn him into a pseudo cyborg and i can't understand that decision.

This is not a hate thread, if you enjoy Sanji's new developments then i envy you, it means that you enjoy the story more than i do and that's the most important thing after all. I just wanted to rant a little.
Sanji's continuous nosebleed gag and unnecessary perversion is a thousand times worse than this kind of powerup. Oda is being rather kind to Sanji with this kinda powerup, maybe he ran out of ways to humiliate Sanji

I don't think so. For me, what matters is how Oda approaches this plotline from here on out, not simply Sanji gaining Germa's abilities. It seems to mainly be a conflict of Sanji not wanting or not being in control of whether he gains their powers but needing to make use of them regardless to help his friends and win his fight. So long as Sanji's personality doesn't drastically change and so long as he doesn't throw away his core values regarding his hands and women, I don't have much issue.

Peroroncino

🅷🅰🅻🅰 🅼🅰🅳🆁🅸🅳
Sanji is like todoroki except instead of using his ice powers he was using his father's fire the entire time, he's being carried by the family he hates.
Zoro and even Luffy just rose up in my rank for becoming stronger with their own hard work and effort.