Current Events Do Unearned Powerups Destroy Tension In Storytelling?

Ass Pull Powerups in One Piece Are:

• Total voters

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
So I apologize for posting just text with little/no pictures. I wanted to briefly articulate why solving every problem by handing your characters unearned power ups destroys conflict and tension in a story. I’ll bring up a point I made a few weeks back:

At this point, there is no point in reading a story where the possibility of failure is just completely thrown out of the window. The tension in fiction comes from the idea that the characters you’re rooting for can actually fail. But with Pirate Christ…failure is no longer an option. He’s going to win in the end, there is no doubt. Destiny has deemed it so. And because there is no doubt…there is no real tension. Without tension, there is no conflict, and without conflict, there’s no story. Just a lifeless series of drawings and words presented in a sequential order.
At the end of the day, the one thing that any story should get right, is it’s conflict. The ability of a fictional story to get you to suspend your disbelief and not know whether or not the characters you’re rooting for can actually succeed or fail. This is the source of tension and ultimately what makes triumphs feel memorable. A story that cannot get this right, is a story that fundamentally has no meaning.

If I can run at 100 miles per hour, and I run a race where in order to win, I only need to run 80 miles per hour, there is not much tension because everyone knows what the outcome will be.

If I can run a race at 100 miles per hour, and I race an opponent who can also run 100 miles per hour…well now we have actual tension, because nobody really knows who is going to win and who is going to lose, or if there’s going to be a tie. The tension comes from the idea that we don’t know what is going to happen.

But if I can run 100 miles per hour, and I’m facing an opponent that can run 200 miles per hour, and half way through the race I suddenly unlock ability that allows me to run at 400 miles per hour in spite of the fact that I’ve been training for years and never discovered this ability before…then ladies and gentlemen, there is no longer any conflict in my story. My win was completely unearned because I was simply handed the ability to win for free, having done nothing myself to earn that win. I was faced with an impossible scenario to begin with, but I still won because the plot just handed me a win for no good reason.

This is not about Sanji, he may be the victim of this discussion as the most recent Ass Pull powerup in One Piece was handed to him this week, but this speaks to a greater trend and problem in Oda’s writing:

There is straight up no tension in One Piece anymore. There is no question of “can Sanji actually beat Queen?” Now the question is “what ability will Oda hand Sanji for free that wins the fight for him?”

Sanji is not the only culprit here. Every mid-arc powerup Zoro has ever unlocked has been an ass pull powerup as well. Every single one. From arbitrarily discovering the unexplained “breath of all things powerup”, to manifesting the completely unexplained Asura powerup from the depths of his ass hole against Kaku, to being handed Oden’s sword completely for free, every big powerup greenboi was handed has come at no personal cost or reward. Descendant of Ryuma amirite?

Luffy is the most heinous offender in the manga but I’ve discussed him at length in the past. The only thing I’ll say here is that it should be as clear as day to everyone, that the “Haki blooms under extreme conditions” bullshit that Oda fed us during the Katakuri fight, is the biggest ass pull line of dialogue in Shonen history, as no other character has ever had a Haki bloom in the middle of battle whereas Luffy has so far had 2.

Sanji unlocking his exoskeleton during the Queen fight is far from the only ass pull powerup that we’ve ever seen in this manga full of ass pull power ups. There is no longer any tension in the OP story when every character will simply be handed the power ups required to win their conflicts by Oda no matter how unearned or nonsensical they may seem.

Discuss your opinions on the state of ass pull power ups in One Piss.

@Owl Ki @Blackbeard @TheKnightOfTheSea @Light D Lamperouge @TheAncientCenturion @comrade @Sentinel @MarineHQ62 @Seth @HA001 @Shepherd @Cuistot @VersusPhD @Mr. Anderson @Den_Den_Mushi @dizzy2341

Last edited:
Luffy is the most heinous offender in the manga but I’ve discussed him at length in the past. The only thing I’ll say here is that it should be as clear as day to everyone, that the “Haki blooms under extreme conditions” bullshit that Oda fed us during the Katakuri fight, is the biggest ass pull line of dialogue in Shonen history, as no other character has ever had a Haki bloom in the middle of battle moment whereas Luffy has so far had 2.
Still not quite sure how the Haki bloom thing works. Since based on Luffy, its kind of impractical mid fight lol. He nearly killed himself fighting Katakuri. Is Haki bloom you understanding a Haki concept through experience? One piece will always be one of those series where you are waiting for the next asspull powerup tbh, last time I felt tension was EL, and thats where it ended lol

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
First off. Fuck Sanji. He is weaker than Zoro.

Now we can move on to serious talk.

There is straight up no tension in One Piece anymore. There is no question of “can Sanji actually beat Queen?” Now the question is “what ability will Oda hand Sanji for free that wins the fight for him?”
Basically this.

Oda ruined the power scaling with his fucking poor man's Walmart Nen. Devil Fruits were cool magical powers to me at least.

Remember when CoA was only meant to counter Logia users? Heh.

I won't lie. My most favorite power system is from OPM.

You have stats in Durability, Speed, Endurance, AP and etc.

Prime examples of trash power scaling by Oda:

Luffy: Knew Snakeman since the beginning of the time skip, could damage a Yonko, could rival YC characters.

Zoro: Could basically damage a Yonko and rival YC characters since the beginning of the time skip.

Sanji: Could basically rival YC characters but it was only a matter of when Judge's toys will start working in him.

Luffy: Learns advCoC after tanking hit to the balls.

Zoro: Air propelling? What's that? Let me reveal this after 500+ chapters cuz why not earlier for example to fight fucking Pica?

Sanji: A matter of when Judge's toys will start working.

I don't even want to go longer on this because I hate One Piece power system to the core.

So I apologize for posting just text with little/no pictures. I wanted to briefly articulate why solving every problem by handing your characters unearned power ups destroys conflict and tension in a story. I’ll bring up a point I made a few weeks back:

At the end of the day, the one thing that any story should get right, is it’s conflict. The ability of a fictional story to get you to suspend your disbelief and not know whether or not the characters you’re rooting for can actually succeed or fail. This is the source of tension and ultimately what makes triumphs feel memorable.

If I can run at 100 miles per hour, and I run a race where in order to win, I only need to run 80 miles per hour, there is not much tension because everyone knows what the outcome will be.

If I can run a race at 100 miles per hour, and I race an opponent who can also run 100 miles per hour…well now we have actual tension, because nobody really knows who is going to win and who is going to lose, or if there’s going to be a tie. The tension comes from the idea that we don’t know what is going to happen.

But if I can run 100 miles per hour, and I’m facing an opponent that can run 200 miles per hour, and half way through the race I suddenly unlock ability that allows me to run at 400 miles per hour in spite of the fact that I’ve been training for years and never discovered this ability before…then ladies and gentlemen, there is no longer any conflict in my story. My win was completely unearned because I was simply handed the ability to win for free, having done nothing myself to earn that win. I was faced with an impossible scenario to begin with, but I still won because the plot just handed me a win for no good reason.

This is not about Sanji, he may be the victim of this discussion as the most recent Ass Pull powerup in One Piece was handed to him this week, but this speaks to a greater trend and problem in Oda’s writing:

Sanji is not the only culprit here. Every mid-arc powerup Zoro has ever unlocked has been an ass pull powerup as well. Every single one. From arbitrarily discovering the unexplained “breath of all things powerup”, to manifesting the completely unexplained Asura powerup from the depths of his ass hole against Kaku, to being handed Oden’s sword completely for free, every big powerup greenboi was handed has come at no personal cost or reward. Descendant of Ryuma amirite?

Luffy is the most heinous offender in the manga but I’ve discussed him at length in the past. The only thing I’ll say here is that it should be as clear as day to everyone, that the “Haki blooms under extreme conditions” bullshit that Oda fed us during the Katakuri fight, is the biggest ass pull line of dialogue in Shonen history, as no other character has ever had a Haki bloom in the middle of battle moment whereas Luffy has so far had 2.

Sanji unlocking his exoskeleton during the Queen fight is far from the only ass pull powerup that we’ve ever seen in this manga full of ass pull power ups. There is no longer any tension in the OP story when every character will simply be handed the power ups required to win their conflicts by Oda no matter how unearned or nonsensical they may seem.

Discuss your opinions on the state of ass pull power ups in One Piss.

@Owl Ki @Blackbeard @TheKnightOfTheSea @Light D Lamperouge @TheAncientCenturion @comrade @Sentinel @MarineHQ62 @Seth @HA001 @Shepherd @Cuistot @VersusPhD @Mr. Anderson @Den_Den_Mushi @dizzy2341
Yea you not reading the story. Zoro cost was madtering Enma after it tried to turn him into husk. Zoro literally trained to master his powerup. All throughout the story Zoro training. Ashura is just his spirit manifesting. Zoro wasn't handed Oden sword for free he literally exchanged his sword for it cause Hyori begged him. Are you stupid, if it was free Zoro could of just replaced Sandai trash ass and have 3 21 grade sword. Bro go reread the story before posting nonesense.

Zoro also went against Sandai curse to master it and in Whiskey peak it was still acting on its own. Which Zoro was still training for.

First off. Fuck Sanji. He is weaker than Zoro.

Now we can move on to serious talk.

Basically this.

Oda ruined the power scaling with his fucking poor man's Walmart Nen. Devil Fruits were cool magical powers to me at least.

Remember when CoA was only meant to counter Logia users? Heh.

I won't lie. My most favorite power system is from OPM.

You have stats in Durability, Speed, Endurance, AP and etc.

Prime examples of trash power scaling by Oda:

Luffy: Knew Snakeman since the beginning of the time skip, could rival YC characters.

Zoro: Could basically damage a Yonko and rival YC characters.

Sanji: Could basically rival YC characters but it was only a matter of when Judge's toys will start working in him.

Luffy: Learns advCoC after tanking hit to the balls.

Zoro: Air propelling? What's that? Let me reveal this after 500+ chapters cuz why not earlier for example to fight fucking Pica?

Sanji: A matter of when Judge's toys will start working.

I don't even want to go longer on this because I hate One Piece power system to the core.
Its pretty clear Oda doesnt know how to handle strong characters and Haki lol. Was probably more simple when it was just none

The only thing I’ll say here is that it should be as clear as day to everyone, that the “Haki blooms under extreme conditions” bullshit that Oda fed us during the Katakuri fight, is the biggest ass pull line of dialogue in Shonen history, as no other character has ever had a Haki bloom in the middle of battle moment whereas Luffy has so far had 2.
You already forget about Zoro unknowingly using conqueror's haki against Kaido? Or Usopp suddenly tapping into observation in Dressrosa? I would call those "extreme conditions".

It hasn't happened with other side characters on panel because we don't need to see other characters progress and grow firsthand in the same way that the Strawhats do. Just seems like you're upset that there isn't a training arc between every single major fight in this already exceedingly large story.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Its pretty clear Oda doesnt know how to handle strong characters and Haki lol. Was probably more simple when it was just none
Yeah, that would be the easiest way to explain this.

Look at what's happening to Kaido.

Big Boy Yonko aKa the country level threat.

If Oda was staying true to his writing Kaido would annihilate the alliance before the dinner.

Zoro and Luffy should not be able to fight Yonkos before EoS...

Yea you not reading the story. Zoro cost was madtering Enma after it tried to turn him into husk. Zoro literally trained to master his powerup. All throughout the story Zoro training. Ashura is just his spirit manifesting. Zoro wasn't handed Oden sword for free he literally exchanged his sword for it cause Hyori begged him. Are you stupid, if it was free Zoro could of just replaced Sandai trash ass and have 3 21 grade sword. Bro go reread the story before posting nonesense.

Zoro also went against Sandai curse to master it and in Whiskey peak it was still acting on its own. Which Zoro was still training for.
Nah bruh, half of Zoro MAJOR power ups were asspulls lol. Talking about "Ashura was him manifesting his spirit". How? How did he do that?

**** pulled Breath of all Things out of his ass back in Alabasta.

Enma is just shit
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, that would be the easiest way to explain this.

Look at what's happening to Kaido.

Big Boy Yonko aKa the country level threat.

If Oda was staying true to his writing Kaido would annihilate the alliance before the dinner.

Zoro and Luffy should not be able to fight Yonkos before EoS...
He rushing right now, so he cutting corners. Thats all it is tbh

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Nah bruh, half of Zoro MAJOR power ups were asspulls lol. Talking about "Ashura was him manifesting his spirit". How? How did he do that?

**** pulled Breath of all Things out of his ass back in Alabasta.

Enma is just shit
Post automatically merged:

He rushing right now, so he cutting corners. Thats all it is tbh
Oh, yeah and if you think about it.

Zoro knew all types of Haki pre-ts.

Luffy knew FS and CoC too.

kekw.

Lhulu

Tobidara Believer
Actually, i never felt tension in One Piece fights, maybe it's because I caught up in the series too late(and i already had a lot of spoilers).

The fights for me are just a fan service, they're never was a reason for me to read it and won't be in the future. Just look at OP discussions, they're always about "which power-up the character will get" and not about if he can win...

With that said, i can understand people who focus on fight aspect and stopped enjoying the series.

Sanji unlocking his exoskeleton during the Queen fight is far from the only ass pull powerup that we’ve ever seen in this manga full of ass pull power ups.
If DJ is a result of his genetic mutation, then Sanji is quite literally the only one that has consistent powerup asspulls. Since he's always gotten stronger due to his family lienage

Zoro deadass just pulls shit out of his ass lol

Luffy in the very least, you can say say he had his training with Rayleigh and his Ryou training to pull from.

@Seth @Owl Ki

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
If DJ is a result of his genetic mutation, then Sanji is quite literally the only one that has consistent powerscaling then. Since he's always gotten stronger due to his family lienage

@Seth @Owl Ki
Basically what I mentioned above with "A matter of when it will awaken".

I think DJ is just an additional gimmick that would make Sanji the only one out of the siblings with 2 gimmicks.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Tension?
When two 8 year old crybabies are determining the tides of a war against a so called "dangerous crew of hundreds of DF users" that are just a bunch of abominations + 2 Yonkos?
Is this A Song of Ice and Fire when main characters can die if they fuck up, or is it a shounen?
The most TENSION One Piece had was during Marineford when Ace died. Which Oda apparently regretted and introduced Sabo to replace Ace. :suresure:
It's time we all accept that One Piece is now simply a generic shounen with abnormally big tits and flashy power ups.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Tension?
When two 8 year old crybabies are determining the tides of a war against a so called "dangerous crew of hundreds of DF users" that are just a bunch of abominations + 2 Yonkos?
Is this A Song of Ice and Fire when main characters can die if they fuck up, or is it a shounen?
The most TENSION One Piece had was during Marineford when Ace died. Which Oda apparently regretted and introduced Sabo to replace Ace. :suresure:
It's time we all accept that One Piece is now simply a generic shounen with abnormally big tits and flashy power ups.
True.

Sabo >>> Dumb donut tho.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Facts, I just hope he doesnt have anymore powers to unlock post Wano lol
If Oda goes for another gimmick instead of Haki bruh xD.

Oda is down bad.

Can't wait for the Color of the Ruler of the Supreme Kings for Luffy since he basically unlocked all power ups atm. ( Aside from awakening but I lowkey think of Gears as awakening ).