Powers & Abilities CoC has been badly handled by Oda

So when Oda first explained haki, you had 3 distinctive and unique colors. Armament, an invisible aura that can be used for offense and defense; observation, which gives the user supernatural perception; and conquerors, which allows the user to dominate others with their will. 3 distinctive powers, 3 distinctive abilities.

Yet all of a sudden, it seems as if conquerors has become armament 2.0. You can now coat your attacks with CoC. What does that do? Fuck should I know. Not only Luffy, but now zoro can use this power as well and yet Oda hasn't bothered to explain what CoC coating actually does. CoA coating makes your body/weapon stronger, but how can CoC coating do that when CoC doesn't work the same?
Perhaps CoC coating makes your opponent weaker instead of making you stronger? Sure would be nice if Oda explained this ability before giving it to both of the MCs.

But even beyond this, I still can't help but feel like the very concept of CoC coating is fundamentally a betrayal of what CoC was portrayed as and what it should have been. CoC never needed to be CoA 2.0 that can just be slapped on to any punch or slash to enhance its strength. CoC was fundamentally the power of controlling others. The fodder control aspects of CoC are absolutely broken in a war scenario and if Oda cared about such things, it would have been really cool to see CoC actually play some role in the strategy of the onigashima raid. Wouldn't a major objective in war be for CoC users to KO as many people as possible with their abilities?

ACoC could have taken this power to the next level. You could be able to force people to do your bidding, exert control over yourself to surpass your limits. possibly even exert control over your environment to manipulate it.

I feel like overall, CoC was a unique and interesting ability that should have had a major impact on the way wars are fought in OP, but was instead dumbed down to "CoA but stronger", for no reason.

Haki itself is a mess. Depiction in the manga makes things even worse. One can understand things with FS or even basic CoO given hownot requires focus. CoA and CoC was bigger mess. You dont even know whether character is using haki or not sometimes let alone the usage of other versions. Atleast pre Wano we don't have many haki variants to judge a character using haki or not. Now, everything is ultra mess. I don't expect Oda would even explain things atleast once in his manga.

it's a mess
i personally think AdCoC is a booster if you add it to your attacks it will boost your CoA/AdCoA(Ryou) its like adding more fuel but its just my interpretation
some people think they're replacing CoA with CoC personally i don't think it's the case but it's not clear
you can interpret it differently because it's not Clear what it is

even ryou and fs aren't good most of the time we can't even know it's used or not

hopefully we get a detailed explanation for haki in general

Last edited:

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Sometimes telling is better than showing since Oda hasn't done a very good job of the showing. It would have taken Oda a Max of 5 Chapters at the start of the post timeskip to explain everything we needed to know about Haki. If he wanted to add more things to it as the story progresses which is normal in a Shounen, he could take another Chapter for that exposition. It's very "boring" and means you lose some edge in suspense and action but coherency is preferable to having to suspend disbelief each time you read about something.

Thats why I like Nen and the JJK system. Give Straight up exposition then go from there.

So when Oda first explained haki, you had 3 distinctive and unique colors. Armament, an invisible aura that can be used for offense and defense; observation, which gives the user supernatural perception; and conquerors, which allows the user to dominate others with their will. 3 distinctive powers, 3 distinctive abilities.

Yet all of a sudden, it seems as if conquerors has become armament 2.0. You can now coat your attacks with CoC. What does that do? Fuck should I know. Not only Luffy, but now zoro can use this power as well and yet Oda hasn't bothered to explain what CoC coating actually does. CoA coating makes your body/weapon stronger, but how can CoC coating do that when CoC doesn't work the same?
Perhaps CoC coating makes your opponent weaker instead of making you stronger? Sure would be nice if Oda explained this ability before giving it to both of the MCs.

But even beyond this, I still can't help but feel like the very concept of CoC coating is fundamentally a betrayal of what CoC was portrayed as and what it should have been. CoC never needed to be CoA 2.0 that can just be slapped on to any punch or slash to enhance its strength. CoC was fundamentally the power of controlling others. The fodder control aspects of CoC are absolutely broken in a war scenario and if Oda cared about such things, it would have been really cool to see CoC actually play some role in the strategy of the onigashima raid. Wouldn't a major objective in war be for CoC users to KO as many people as possible with their abilities?

ACoC could have taken this power to the next level. You could be able to force people to do your bidding, exert control over yourself to surpass your limits. possibly even exert control over your environment to manipulate it.

I feel like overall, CoC was a unique and interesting ability that should have had a major impact on the way wars are fought in OP, but was instead dumbed down to "CoA but stronger", for no reason.
Maybe but I feel agenda in your post, you are disappoint that Shanks excuse coc over Mihawk is becoming day after day a weaker and nonsensical argumentation but hey let see where Oda want to move the story :ihaha:

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Jesus fucking christ. Not everything is about Zoro! No one gives enough of a shit about Zoro to make a Haki complaint thread just for him

There have been dozens of threads bitching about how terribly the Haki system has been handled before Advanced COC and there will be dozens more after as Oda continues to throw the kitchen sink into a poorly explained system.