Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say that this is Kaido at his worst xD I mean from the spoilers the situation seemed quite bad but the chapter actually changes a lot of things.

Soiilers
Oden and Kaidou are evenly matched with both covered in wounds.
Chapter
They don't even have an actual fight Oden uses his attack and do "the only scar Kaido got in his life till the present something not even the Navy other Yonkos and the 40 death sentences managed to do" wonder how cough Enma cough" gets distracted by the Momo thing and Kaido one shots him

Spoilers
Oden tries to save momo and thus lets his guard down, which results in him taking the full brunt of Kaidou's Raimei Hakke.
Chapter
Kaido didn't used a named attack just a basic hit (unless I missed something)

Spoilers
Most of Kaido's army lost in battle with Moria
Chapter
No mention of that so unless it's a translation error (but it's an important detail) BP were just not big enough to take on the whole Wano's samurai at that time (something even the Navy is careful about)

I don't see how this chapter downplays Kaido it's like saying that the future Pirate King is trash bc in the past he had a hard time against Doflamingo while now he can just fodderize him

Let's just wait the War and they'll all join the BP fanclub.....
Post automatically merged:

And if Kaido used a Trick/Strategy to win how can that make him a bad villain if that's what a villain is supposed to do previously they were all meh Kaido is just a plain villain he just swings his bat and that's it now we see a more strategic side of him and is suddenly more trash we knew BP were like this since Zou....if Kaido had gass weapons he would have used them if it would have saved him some time
There are different villains.

Tricky villains ? Sure there is a lot : Sengoku, Orochi, Blackbeard, Big Mom.

But I thought that like Katakuri ( who still a villain considering how easily he chose to kill people ) Kaidou has some sort of honour. An honour he would have because being the best and always having been the best, he could choose to have. Because Kaidou could have been Proud then.

But no. Just a tricky guy like lot of Villains in One Piece.

I don't see how this chapter downplays Kaido it's like saying that the future Pirate King is trash bc in the past he had a hard time against Doflamingo while now he can just fodderize him

Let's just wait the War and they'll all join the BP fanclub.....
What I meant is that Oda doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Falling 10000 meters looks impressive but show some other top tier doing it and coming out heavily injured. Or show Kaidou get back up from something another top tier would be defeated by. Maybe a G4 King Kong Gun or two.

And its not just Kaidou to be fair. I've always had this regret that years before, we never got to see the Whitebeard Pirates at their best. Maybe seeing one or two pages of them clashing with Shichis or Admirals way before MF itself. That panel of WB angry at Roger and the we get tsunamis, that would have been epic had we seen that years before MF. But now, it's like Oda wants to make up for it. Just another of many personal gripes.

And if Kaido used a Trick/Strategy to win how can that make him a bad villain if that's what a villain is supposed to do previously they were all meh Kaido is just a plain villain he just swings his bat and that's it now we see a more strategic side of him and is suddenly more trash we knew BP were like this since Zou....if Kaido had gass weapons he would have used them if it would have saved him some time
The strategic cunning datardly pirate side is great and all, but it somewhat contradicts the personality in chapter 795 and later on who seemed a depressed suicidal drunk, not quite a ruthless tactical pirate. Is Oda retconning the character or is it a form of character development in that in the 20 years since Oden's defeat, something changed for Kaidou and he became the moody bastard that he is today?

hey guys let's talk about king and queen

in this panel you can see king using his sword AND fire powers to fight against the red scabbards
is he really first and foremost airborn fighter? :lusalty:

here you can see queen using a poisoned (notice the gas) weapon to fight against the red scabbards
the weapon definitely doesn't look like a sword, it's probably a bat
maybe that's the way queen incorporates poison in his fighting style

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
hey guys let's talk about king and queen

in this panel you can see king using his sword AND fire powers to fight against the red scabbards
is he really first and foremost airborn fighter? :lusalty:

here you can see queen using a poisoned (notice the gas) weapon to fight against the red scabbards
the weapon definitely doesn't look like a sword, it's probably a bat
maybe that's the way queen incorporates poison in his fighting style
Well, King is a close range fighter. He'll need to get close to deal with his opponents lol. In Hybrid, we can speculate that he'll likely use diving like attacks to increase his attack power.

Good catch on the gas for Queen.

@silverfire , @Bogard , @Jo_Ndule , @comrade , @Light D Lamperouge , @Zowo , @Cinera , @HA001 , @Erkan12 , @Kejon , @Red Admiral , @PuckTheGreat , @Finalbeta , @dirtyLarry , @Sade , @nik87 , @Admiral Lee Hung , @Shura
@Edward Teach , @Topi Jerami

Do you guys feel the same as me? Overall I read the chapter again and again and I like it though we see not much outside of the begin and the end. But the most part with let me feel underwhelmed was the major event battle Kaido vs Oden...
I don´t know but the fight let me feel cold, my expectation for this battle was insane large and I hoped to see insane good feats of both sides, yet their fight feel little lacklust and I didn´t feel the emotion overall when both clash, it feel like Oda to rush the battle.
But not only that, the insane scar feat which we all waiting for, the only scar with Kaido take, the attack was kinda underwhelmed for me.

I place the scar scene to important scene overall in wano and im sure the scar will play later a major role when Kaido gonna getting defeated by the alliance, yet the scene was little lacklust.
Important scenes with I call epic,amazing and hype:

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

Luffy defeating Doflamingo:

Scene like this are amazing and hype, it build up so much emotions alone by their feat and meanings.
Law cutting punk hazard and the smile factory was a major point.
Zoro saving Riku and showing a insane feat which even let Kanjuro and Kinemon speechless was a major point.
Luffy defeating Doflamingo was also a major point.
And be honest I see the scar feat of Oden at least at the same ball park as these aboves, if not even above because in my opinion the scar will be later a point and weakness of Kaido who the alliance will use and defeating Kaido.

Yet compare to all these scenes above, the scar feat of Oden was kinda rushed and underwhelming in my opinion. It doesn´t give us the same emotion as we expect in the previous chapter and that make it little sad overall. I don´t criticize much Oda for the 5year plot with Oden because as @dirtyLarry im sure the reason of Oden was important and make sense after we hearing it later.
But something as the current chapter, I don´t know but I feel like Oda could do it far better...

How you guys overall feel about the scar feat?

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
@silverfire , @Bogard , @Jo_Ndule , @comrade , @Light D Lamperouge , @Zowo , @Cinera , @HA001 , @Erkan12 , @Kejon , @Red Admiral , @PuckTheGreat , @Finalbeta , @dirtyLarry , @Sade , @nik87 , @Admiral Lee Hung , @Shura

Do you guys feel the same as me? Overall I read the chapter again and again and I like it though we see not much outside of the begin and the end. But the most part with let me feel underwhelmed was the major event battle Kaido vs Oden...
I don´t know but the fight let me feel cold, my expectation for this battle was insane large and I hoped to see insane good feats of both sides, yet their fight feel little lacklust and I didn´t feel the emotion overall when both clash, it feel like Oda to rush the battle.
But not only that, the insane scar feat which we all waiting for, the only scar with Kaido take, the attack was kinda underwhelmed for me.

I place the scar scene to important scene overall in wano and im sure the scar will play later a major role when Kaido gonna getting defeated by the alliance, yet the scene was little lacklust.

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

Scene like this are amazing and hype, it build up so much emotions alone by their feat and meanings.
Zoro saving Riku and showing a insane feat which even let Kanjuro and Kinemon speechless was a major point.
And be honest I see the scar feat of Oden at least at the same ball park as these aboves, if not even above because in my opinion the scar will be later a point and weakness of Kaido who the alliance will use and defeating Kaido.

Yet compare to all these scenes above, the scar feat of Oden was kinda rushed and underwhelming in my opinion. It doesn´t give us the same emotion as we expect in the previous chapter and that make it little sad overall. I don´t criticize much Oda for the 5year plot with Oden because as @dirtyLarry im sure the reason of Oden was important and make sense after we hearing it later.
But something as the current chapter, I don´t know but I feel like Oda could do it far better...

What shocks me is how he bodied kaido. But the top swordsmen would have finished that in the first hit.
I expected a back and forth struggle before shenanigans cheated oden but not one hit to floor kaido and about to kill him.

Its still an amazing feat cause he cut a durability monster but the fact we no there are stronger swordsmen out there than oden who could match if not surpass that says a lot to me.

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

I think people make the same mistake of waiting for insane 1-vs-1 feats or a major outflashed battle over and over again.

Oda only does those huge fleshed out battles at the end of a saga and only when the SHs are included.
Not even the marineford war or Ace vs Blackbeard had huge fleshed out 1-vs-1 sequences.

So far the flashback is really well done. Pacing could be a bit slower, but it's not bad by any means.
If the reason why Oden didn't fight for 5 years is a great reveal/twist, it will be a superb flashback.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I think people make the same mistake of waiting for insane 1-vs-1 feats or a major outflashed battle over and over again.

Oda only does those huge fleshed out battles at the end of a saga and only when the SHs are included.
Not even the marineford war or Ace vs Blackbeard had huge fleshed out 1-vs-1 sequences.

So far the flashback is really well done. Pacing could be a bit slower, but it's not bad by any means.
If the reason why Oden didn't fight for 5 years is a great reveal/twist, it will be a superb flashback.
Twerkin is the best haki training clearly

Yet compare to all these scenes above, the scar feat of Oden was kinda rushed and underwhelming in my opinion. It doesn´t give us the same emotion as we expect in the previous chapter and that make it little sad overall.
I think Oda displayed that feat just fine. Kaido, who was dozens of times referred to as an invincible monster who cannot be harmed; just standing there unfazed while being pummeled by a Kong Organ, actually having a cross cut out of his chest was overwhelming. Zoro in the end just cut a big chunk of stone, Law used hax to cut the mountain.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
It’s getting even harder to rationalize Oden’s actions after this chapter...there’s nothing Orochi could possibly say that would justify his behavior and, moreover, his inaction in rallying Hyogoro/the rest of the yakuza and samurai. Kaido confirming that doing so would have possibly tipped the scales in the Wano infantry’s favor makes this all the more maddening. Everything we knew about him pointed to a rebellion shortly after he returned to his homeland and saw its shoddy state, and I don’t think Oda’s done an effective job yet of explaining why he didn’t.

H

Homelander

Best chapter ever. Guys i dunno why some are so impatient. This is not one punch manga. Youll see more of like this ahead.

Eithereay story is about straw hats we got limited time to know about oden s life and why he failed. Oda has time strained schedule this is only way i can conceed. Maybe anime team will hype oden and kaido.

Some people are demonzing the flashback i would say it was way better than big mom and laws flashback.

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

I would say oden went all out. Also with the panel mentions beast pirates were increasing in numbers. Oden went for kaido because he is the lynchpin.

I agree those cuts look pic. Like if you read my analysis oda does not want to dehype kaido and also kept the fact oden was top tier .

He def was not admiral level like many people claim. He is marco level at best.

Overall i think for limited time we gorlt for flashback oda cut down lot of details . Also not showing kaido in full power is a good way of hyping luffy untested power.

All i can say we can judge this arc once wano finishes untill lot of things wouldnt make sense we know oda keeps deck of cards in his pocket. One chapter can literally bamboozle every fan to call him "Goda" again.

I'm with @Den_Den_Mushi this chapter is plain bad storytelling. I don't feel sorry for Oden even one iota
One piece is not battle manga. Maybe we should reserve the judgement once flashback ends.

Peope expected detail fight i didnt. I know orochi will use dirty trick to stop oden. This was kinda expected.

Also we have to remember someone snitched on oden to kaido so battle was already lost before it was started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.