Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So dissapointed with that naration of last chapter talking about a legendary battle and that we shouldn't even blink but the fucking battle wasn't even 30 seconds Kaido is flying Oden jumps and cuts him distraction and boom this was the legend you were talking about Oda? :seriously:
I have to admit... I never gave much interest in the fights that exist in One Piece, but even I have to admit how underwhelming this chapter was... and yeah, it's as if Oda just wanted to rush everything when he just needed to slow the fuck down.... he ruined this flashback for me in this chapter.

Heck, it's easy to see that Oda simply rushed it... I mean, look at that X mark that Oden carved on Kaido,
it just looks so lazily drawn, it's ridiculous.

And the funny thing is, it's not only the fight in this chapter that ruined it for me, it was everything else... Oda was hyping this chapter as "the hour of legends"... Oden's retaliation... "the man for whom all of Wano wept" and for the fight part, what do we have here? Like you said, just 30 seconds of fights and poof, the battle was over..

And he only had 11 fucking people? Are you fucking kidding me? He talked to Yasuie and got him to protect Toki.. if he could do that, why didn't he unite all the other daimyos and get their men to side with him and participate in this damn battle?? 11 fucking people?? This was the "hour of legends"?? ffs.

And for "the man whom all of Wano wept", none of the citizens appear to have any fucking sorrow or anything at all... hell, all of the citizens appear to be fucking brainless.... I mean, Oden, the "idiot lord" committing a plot against the Shogun, even with as little info as that, no-one would've expected this.. I would've at least expected the citizens to elicit surprise or sympathy or at least....

Hell, I would've expected the citizens to at least, fucking *think*... "was the exhibitionism an act all along?" "was the naked dancing a cover-up for these 5 years?" "the idiot lord actually tried to save this country?", but nope.. all we had was stupid two-dimensional thinking from these people, like "we won't see him dancing naked in the streets again?", or for crying out loud... Judged them severely? What?!

It's no wonder, that Orochi was able to rule Wano for more than 25 years..
simply because the citizens are fucking idiots.

And the last page....
What is up with Oden, in the last page?

He's just sitting there, with his arms casually folded..
It's as if he's lost his will to do anything.. It's like he's just willingly accepting whatever's gonna come..

I just don't get this chapter, honestly..

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I have to admit... I never gave much interest in the fights that exist in One Piece, but even I have to admit how underwhelming this chapter was... and yeah, it's as if Oda just wanted to rush everything when he just needed to slow the fuck down.... he ruined this flashback for me in this chapter.

Heck, it's easy to see that Oda simply rushed it... I mean, look at that X mark that Oden carved on Kaido, look at how incredibly straight these two lines are... it just looks so lazily drawn, it's ridiculous.

And the funny thing is, it's not only the fight in this chapter that ruined it for me, it was everything else... Oda was hyping this chapter as "the hour of legends"... Oden's retaliation... "the man for whom all of Wano wept" and for the fight part, what do we have here? Like you said, just 30 seconds of fights and poof, the battle was over..

And he only had 11 fucking people? Are you fucking kidding me? He talked to Yasuie and got him to protect Toki.. if he could do that, why didn't he unite all the other daimyos and get their men to side with him and participate in this damn battle?? 11 fucking people?? This was the "hour of legends"?? ffs.

And for "the man whom all of Wano wept", none of the citizens appear to have any fucking sorrow or anything at all... hell, all of the citizens appear to be fucking brainless.... I mean, Oden, the "idiot lord" committing a plot against the Shogun, even with as little info as that, no-one would've expected this.. I would've at least expected the citizens to elicit surprise or sympathy or at least....

Hell, I would've expected the citizens to at least, fucking *think*... "was the exhibitionism an act all along?" "was the naked dancing a cover-up for these 5 years?" "the idiot lord actually tried to save this country?", but nope.. all we had was stupid two-dimensional thinking from these people, like "we won't see him dancing naked in the streets again?", or for crying out loud... Judged them severely? What?!

And the last page....

It's as if he's lost his will to do anything.. It's like he's just willingly accepting whatever's gonna come..

You bring up some great points. Adding on to that, the people of Wano would've had to deal with 5 years of Orochi's rule. One that sees the use of factories all throughout the country. It'd have been clear at that point his rule was less than ideal, then they hear of a possible coup by Oden and his retainers who fought an entire army by themselves and felt nothing? Like sure, he was acting like an idiot for 5 years, but the fact he eventually came to fight against these foes despite overwhelming odds, and they still felt nothing?

Heck, it's easy to see that Oda simply rushed it... I mean, look at that X mark that Oden carved on Kaido, look at how incredibly straight these two lines are... it just looks so lazily drawn, it's ridiculous.

And the last page....

I was enjoying this flashback very much i think it was the best part of wano but this chapter is horrible other than the stupid battle how stupid of Oden to not even ask the other Daimyos to join him the shimotsuki guy fought Kaido for 2 years even after Oden died. just hope something good happens at the execution we know that Kinemon and the rest have to escape hope it was because of something Oden did and that 5 year dancing better have a damn good reason otherwise Oda managed to turn the best one piece flashback into complete garbage.
Post automatically merged:

You bring up some great points. Adding on to that, the people of Wano would've had to deal with 5 years of Orochi's rule. One that sees the use of factories all throughout the country. It'd have been clear at that point his rule was less than ideal, then they hear of a possible coup by Oden and his retainers who fought an entire army by themselves and felt nothing? Like sure, he was acting like an idiot for 5 years, but the fact he eventually came to fight against these foes despite overwhelming odds, and they still felt nothing?
I expect Oden to do something on his execution for people to actually feel for him otherwise i don't know why should they come and fight for him after 20 years if they didn't care about him at that time if nothing happens then again it's another dissapointment.

Last edited:
A lot to say about this chapter. I think the whole flashback has been good so far.

I wasn't the first to point this out but Oden's main character flaw was that he so often rushes ahead without his subordinates. Completely ignoring them in the process. Yes, he is strong. But the story is emphasizing that no matter how strong you are you still need people to help you. Oden is so strong that he thinks he can do everything by himself and it just bites him in the ass everytime. He runs ahead without asking for help when he faces Orohci for the first time and fails. If he had brought his allies he would have had someone to deal with the bar bari no mi user and wouldn't have been caught. Now in this chapter he runs ahead against Kaidou and his subordinates can't even catch up. Leaving him surrounded by Kaidou's men and allowing them to trick him into dropping his guard and being defeated. This also causes the fall of his own subordinates as well. Very similar to how Whitebeard and his commanders were taken down at Marineford. Thats just two examples but you can see it as far back as the start of the flashback. He never fights as one with his comrades. He simply charges ahead. I'm willing to be this is why he also neglects to call for the aid of the Whitebeard or Roger Pirates. He keeps thinking he can do everything on his own.

Oden's entire story is a guide line. A blueprint of what NOT to do. It's to show us how & why Oden failed against Kaidou and what Luffy needs to do in order to overcome him. I believe the actual battle with Kaidou will mirror Oden's story as well by showing us how Luffy handles the same pitfalls that Oden fell into. To add to this, one of the themes in this arc is the faith & trust in one's leader and vice versa. While his subordinates had faith in Oden. Oden himself showed none of the same faith in them. And at one moment this faith is even put to the test by having Oden utterly humiliate himself in the eyes of absolutely everyone. As a result losing their faith. Yet despite all of that his subordinates still have unwavering faith in him and stand with him through the doubt, suffering and hardship. I bring this up because it lets us know that luffy will at some point experience the same. A moment of great defeat that will test everyone's faith in him to see whose truly loyal to him when he's at his lowest.

I also do think it might have been better if Oda went in-depth with certain things. I mean I certainly would've preferred it. So far he's just been running over the bullet points of Oden's story. Nothing wrong with that. It works. But it'd be far more impactful if we spent more time on everything. I understand that none of these moments are meant to be the high points of the arc though. Even though I expected more out of Oden's relationship with Toki, this is a shounen. Romantic relationships aren't explored since young boys aren't interested in that sort of thing. I still feel it would have helped the story more. Same with his relationship with the Scabbards. Though even as I say this, I know full well that people would have just complained anyway about the flashback "taking forever". Because if he explored each character more, we'd still be on Wano before Oden met Whitebeard.

It was good to see that new side to Kaidou's character. He wasn't always an all-powerful monster. He's still a Pirate and acts like one. He can be cunning when the situation calls for it. He's also perfectly capable of getting his ass kicked. Hopefully people will stop putting so much stock in that if "it's 1 on 1 bet on Kaidou" line. It's clearly just rumor. Something that that populace believes that isn't actually true.

Last edited:
A lot to say about this chapter. I think the whole flashback has been good so far.

I wasn't the first to point this out but Oden's main character flaw was that he so often rushes ahead without his subordinates. Completely ignoring them in the process. Yes, he is strong. But the story is emphasizing that no matter how strong you are you still need people to help you. Oden is so strong that he thinks he can do everything by himself and it just bites him in the ass everytime. He runs ahead without asking for help when he faces Orohci for the first time and fails. If he had brought his allies he would have had someone to deal with the bar bari no mi user and wouldn't have been caught. Now in this chapter he runs ahead against Kaidou and his subordinates can't even catch up. Leaving him surrounded by Kaidou's men and allowing them to trick him into dropping his guard and being defeated. This also causes the fall of his own subordinates as well. Very similar to how Whitebeard and his commenders were taken down at Marineford. Thats just two examples but you can see it as far back as the start of the flashback. He never fights as one with his comrades. He simply charges ahead. I'm willing to be this is why he also neglects to call for the aid of the Whitebeard or Roger Pirates. He keeps thinking he can do everything on his own.

Oden's entire story is a guide line. A blueprint of what NOT to do. It's to show us how & why Oden failed against Kaidou and what Luffy needs to learn in order to overcome him. I believe the actual battle with Kaidou will mirror Oden's story as well by showing us how Luffy handles the same pitfalls that Oden fell into. To add to this, one of the themes in this arc is the faith & trust in one's leader and vice versa. While his subordinates had faith in Oden. Oden himself had no faith in them. And at one moment this faith is even put to the test by having Oden utterly humiliate himself in the eyes of absolutely everyone. As a result losing their faith. Yet despite all of that his subordinates still have unwavering faith in him and stand with him through the doubt, suffering and hardship. I bring this up because it lets us know that luffy will at some point experience the same. A moment of great defeat that will test everyone's faith in him to see whose truly loyal to him when he's at his lowest.

I also do think it might have been better if Oda went in-depth with certain things. I mean I certainly would've preferred it. So far he's just been running over the bullet points of Oden's story. Nothing wrong with that. It works. But it'd be far more impactful if we spent more time on everything. I understand that none of these moments are meant to be the high points of the arc though. Even though I expected more out of Oden's relationship with Toki, this is a shounen. Romantic relationships aren't explored since young boys aren't interested in that sort of thing. I still feel it would have helped the story more. Same with his relationship with the Scabbards. Though even as I say this, I know full well that people would have just complained anyway about the flashback "taking forever". Because if he explored each character more, we'd still be on Wano before Oden met Whitebeard.

It was good to see that new side to Kaidou's character. He wasn't always an all-powerful monster. He's still a Pirate and acts like one. He can be cunning when the situation calls for it. He's also perfectly capable of getting his ass kicked. Hopefully people will stop putting so much stock in that if "it's 1 on 1 bet on Kaidou" line. It's clearly just rumor. Something that that populace believes that isn't actually true.
Insane good post and analysis about overall Oden flashback, don´t see it in that way as you write it but yeah Oda kinda do a great job in this one. Oden was everytime the one who run forward the enemy, without having faith in his retainers. We see it already against Ashura, later against Whitebeard, then against enemy ship of Whitebeard, against Roger pirates, against Orochi and now in this chapter against Kaido. He always run as the first and do his job on his own without even thinking twice, his whole strategy was a disaster and a another reason why he lose against Kaido. With more faith in his retainer, the battle would come out different and Kaido would probably lose. But with this Oda simple show Odens character, he take everything on his own and in the end it will cost him is life.

From the begin until the end, Oden was only he himself, even with Toki he was just he himself. Probably a major reason why he fall into the trick of Orochi, it is his tragic story and his fate with ending dying alone to protecting others. He even save the lifes of his retainer in his last moments, he always want to protect everyone but that was his weakness.

Viewing this of that point I agree that the flashback is very good. Probably overall we view to much into the other characters, overall it was and is Oden flashback and his view. Outside of the Toki build up with I still don´t like, in my opinion the flashback is still great. Okay the last two chapters had their fall down, but for the last chapter we still need the reason why Oden make a dumb move. And for this chapter Oda could make it far better and emotinale for the final battle of Oden.

I wasn't the first to point this out but Oden's main character flaw was that he so often rushes ahead without his subordinates. Completely ignoring them in the process. Yes, he is strong. But the story is emphasizing that no matter how strong you are you still need people to help you. Oden is so strong that he thinks he can do everything by himself and it just bites him in the ass everytime. He runs ahead without asking for help when he faces Orohci for the first time and fails. If he had brought his allies he would have had someone to deal with the bar bari no mi user and wouldn't have been caught. Now in this chapter he runs ahead against Kaidou and his subordinates can't even catch up. Leaving him surrounded by Kaidou's men and allowing them to trick him into dropping his guard and being defeated. This also causes the fall of his own subordinates as well. Very similar to how Whitebeard and his commenders were taken down at Marineford. Thats just two examples but you can see it as far back as the start of the flashback. He never fights as one with his comrades. He simply charges ahead. I'm willing to be this is why he also neglects to call for the aid of the Whitebeard or Roger Pirates. He keeps thinking he can do everything on his own.

Oden's entire story is a guide line. A blueprint of what NOT to do. It's to show us how & why Oden failed against Kaidou and what Luffy needs to learn in order to overcome him. I believe the actual battle with Kaidou will mirror Oden's story as well by showing us how Luffy handles the same pitfalls that Oden fell into. To add to this, one of the themes in this arc is the faith & trust in one's leader and vice versa. While his subordinates had faith in Oden. Oden himself had no faith in them. And at one moment this faith is even put to the test by having Oden utterly humiliate himself in the eyes of absolutely everyone. As a result losing their faith. Yet despite all of that his subordinates still have unwavering faith in him and stand with him through the doubt, suffering and hardship. I bring this up because it lets us know that luffy will at some point experience the same. A moment of great defeat that will test everyone's faith in him to see whose truly loyal to him when he's at his lowest.

Luffy doesn't need to learn anything. Episode 1 Luffy was already less naive than Oden.

This flashback is Oda's way of showing is showing the difference between Oden and Luffy, and why Luffy succeeds at being a good leader and Oden a bad one.

1)Oden made the same mistake as Vivi in Alabasta was making.
Luffy told Vivi that she was naive in thinking that she could fight a war without any bloodshed.

2). Luffy would have also accepted help if offered to him. Luffy even asked kid for help against Kaido.

3) When Oden dropped Toki and Momonsuke at Wano, he did nothing to save the country when he knew it was changing for the worse. Luffy would have stayed and taken care of Wano before going to Raftel. Proving once again how selfish Oden was.

This proves how sefless Luffy is and how Luffy was smarter than Oden.

However, Oden was also in a bad position as Kaido told Oden there was a traitor in his castle that was feeding Orochi information. The traitor is still active 20 years into the future. It is one of the Scabbards.
@Redx @playa4321

Last edited:
can we all agree that Oda just took it too far this arc?

this is the most hype killing chapter I've ever seen. he keeps raising people's expectations just to fucking kill all the hype in 1 chapter.

the hour of legends my ass man
Not Oda's Problem that millenials only care about "hype", "looking badass" and "bashing plot/characters that don't fit my theories/narrative", while not even trying to understand the plot points being made by Oda.

Oda writes like he is cancer and wanna end Op before dying. Some people made good analysis about oden's character but that doesnt explain why the fakeng fight was just 2 panels. it just became a bad habit of this hobbit oda. He just writes x time , days , months passed with single panel of drawing simple punches slashes etc. He is fakeng hypocrite. He says he is still writing for kids but off panneling everything which kids like 2x more than adults.

This flashback is Oda's way of showing is showing the difference between Oden and Luffy, and why Luffy succeeds at being a good leader and Oden a bad one.
Yeah this is correct. Poor choice of phrasing on my part.
Not Oda's Problem that millenials only care about "hype", "looking badass" and "bashing plot/characters that don't fit my theories/narrative", while not even trying to understand the plot points being made by Oda.
Same thing every chapter.
It's weird that people on this site only know how to look at stories through the lens of "hype".

And the last page....

Come to think of it

Are Beast Pirates that kind that they captured Oden and his scabbards at the cell, only to give them medical treatment and bandages as if they're in hospital?

Yet they also want to execute them within 3 days :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.