rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Electrifying chapter.

We see how Sanji vs Queen concludes, with Sanji sending Queen flying to the stratosphere. I remember in one of the earlier translations for chapter 936, Luffy wished to send Queen flying. I guess Sanji did it on his behalf. We later get a small, but fairly touching moment of Sanji reuniting the mouse with the Courtesan. Fittingly, Sanji calls back to the mouse he used to play with, his first friend. One thing of note about this exchange is that, despite all the lecherous antics or how his code is supposedly a burden on the crew, Sanji is at his core a chivalrous gentleman. His one and only concern were whether Chuji and Osome were alright. And you can see that gentleness through these sequences of panels.

To the next and main portion, Zoro vs King continues, revealing King’s face in the process. Learning why he hides his face; we get a sense that King has had to guard himself for years. Merely informing the Government of a Lunarian grants a hefty bounty. Another thing we can add to the running theme of loyalty in this arc. There’s deep dysfunction within the Beast Pirates, from the opportunism of the Flying 6 to usurp the Calamities, to lower cards quick to rat out a superior and/or King perceiving pretty much anyone as a potential enemy.

King, on the other hand, holds immense trust and fealty to Kaido. They formed the Beast Pirates together with a shared goal of changing the world. As to why they want to isn’t clear for now, but King’s potential resentment towards the world for what they’ve done to him, and the fact he is the last remaining Lunarian, may be what motivates him to follow Kaido’s vision, which is a world of violence.

King’s disposition this chapter has changed for me. Prior to this chapter, he seemed like a plainly ruthless antagonist that only followed Kaido because he was the strongest, and the strongest survive. And while that may be still true to an extent, he seems more melancholic. Tragic. King has likely grown up without knowing who his parents were, and being tortured for simply being born the way he is. He has had to suffer the worst of the outside world the people of Wano have feared. Kaido was his savior and salvation. It comes as no surprise, then, that he would be the most devoted follower.

Zoro, now having realized his nature of a king, fights with an ironclad resolve even greater than before. He is in his element. This whole chapter plays as kind of a mirror to 1033, with Zoro in control of the fight and King now on the back foot reflecting on his past. King thinks back to his first encounter with Kaido just as Zoro remembered first joining Luffy in 1033. Kaido was the person to give King a purpose, whilst Zoro was emboldened by Luffy to become the best that he can be.

King seems to take Zoro exuding his conqueror’s haki as an affront on Kaido, which is consistent with Kaido’s disdain for too many conquerors. Kaido’s shadow looms over this fight, as King creates a flame construct in the image of an Eastern Dragon, Kaido’s deified state, and a symbol of power and order within Wano. Zoro tears through that symbol of King’s admiration, vowing to make King remember him in defeat. A nod to Ryuma’s legacy of cementing Wano as the land of Samurai, and Zoro is among them. They will no longer be oppressed by the Dragon.

It could be part of why Kaido is insistent on making Yamato their successor. There can only be one ruler, one who reigns overall, and after his, Kaido’s, time has passed, then Yamato would/should take over. This would contrast with Luffy, who has a conqueror on his ship, and potentially more. A sign of Luffy being a king among kings and a proponent of freedom; a fundamental difference on how Kaido’s and Luffy’s crews operate.

Final note, King’s pretty hot (pun not intended), but Zoro is still better, imo.

Last edited:
It’s funny how Kaido resembled Roger so much, even in his first encounter with his right hand man. He just offered a casual invite, same with how Roger did it to Rayleigh and how Luffy did it to Zoro. It seems that the greatest pirates have this whole connection with their right hands. An automatic click you can say, as their right hand men also automatically believe in that person upon first meet up.

Ayo. Can I just say that this made me like King and Kaido a lot more as characters? The soft side and background, how they met and their relationships. They feel much more like antagonists I can like rather than villains I hate, specially King. He's not a bad guy and nor is he a villain. He's an antagonist done wrong by the world, who is incredibly loyal to the man that saved him.

Even despite the things Kaidoe did to Luffy, watching how well he treats his crew just prevents me from disliking him. Unlike a certain Yonko who eats her own crewmmates :kobeha:

luffy got already a lot chapter against Kaido, will have again a lot chapter but 20+ chapters nah Oda is rushing, there is no more space for failing running etc etc.
Big Mom&Kid&Law was basically 99% of panel and Oda drop the awakening, 2 more chapters and that fight is over.
I'm just pointing out, that Luffy's fights run on a different timescale. With other fights, Oda usually limits it to 1-2 chapters at most. With Luffy's, it's 100% dependent on the conflict plot ending. Look at how many things need to finish ON TOP of giving Luffy a satisfying multi-chapter fight (which normally last upwards of 6-8 chapters of typically pure fighting)

- Orochi plot
- Denjiro's whereabouts (if not related to the above)
- Fukurokuju and Raizo
- Apoo/Drake and CP-0
- The 3rd CP-0 member and whatevr the WG ships do
- Momo saving the capital
- Yamato eliminating the explosives
- Marco/Izo stopping the Kazenbo
- Remaining Numbers and their roles (fodder or otherwise)
- Big Mom Pirates?
- Onimaru?
- All strawhat locations, subplots, etc. Usopp is saving Kin/Kiku. Chopper's weird form. Does Brook/Robin get away that easily? Are they all heading to the Performance Floor? To do what?
- Big Mom herself

Not to mention, a likely proper flashback for Kaido and/or BM and the fact that Oda needs to spend an elaborate amount of time taking down the Yonko who are far more durable/long lasting than their subordinates. Not to mention, but Zoro and Sanji both got the longest fights they've ever had on paper.

Im just saying this won't be done in a volume. We have one more chapter for vol 102, so let's see if any of the above are even addressed. And I know I'm missing stuff too.

I'm just pointing out, that Luffy's fights run on a different timescale. With other fights, Oda usually limits it to 1-2 chapters at most. With Luffy's, it's 100% dependent on the conflict plot ending. Look at how many things need to finish ON TOP of giving Luffy a satisfying multi-chapter fight (which normally last upwards of 6-8 chapters of typically pure fighting)

- Orochi plot
- Denjiro's whereabouts (if not related to the above)
- Fukurokuju and Raizo
- Apoo/Drake and CP-0
- The 3rd CP-0 member and whatevr the WG ships do
- Momo saving the capital
- Yamato eliminating the explosives
- Marco/Izo stopping the Kazenbo
- Remaining Numbers and their roles (fodder or otherwise)
- Big Mom Pirates?
- Onimaru?
- All strawhat locations, subplots, etc. Usopp is saving Kin/Kiku. Chopper's weird form. Does Brook/Robin get away that easily? Are they all heading to the Performance Floor? To do what?
- Big Mom herself

Not to mention, a likely proper flashback for Kaido and/or BM and the fact that Oda needs to spend an elaborate amount of time taking down the Yonko who are far more durable/long lasting than their subordinates. Not to mention, but Zoro and Sanji both got the longest fights they've ever had on paper.

Im just saying this won't be done in a volume. We have one more chapter for vol 102, so let's see if any of the above are even addressed. And I know I'm missing stuff too.
true but Jack shit endend in 2 panels, why can Oda end Orochi in 2 panels or Apoo in 2 panels or the rest of the useless stuff in less than 2 panels. that can happen especially because Oda compress so much into 1 chapter for main fight, and also because Jack got exactly 1 panel. That can happen esecialy for CP0 and Orochi

Fantastic chapter, beyond expectations and 2nd time I gave 5-star rating in Wano! :crazwhat:
What a finale of a brutal fight between two killing machines!
Thank you King for being ridiculously broken to the point that Zoro can show people what a real fight looks like.

Despite some illogical moments, fighting choreography has delivered even tho the fight went differently than I imagined.
The mini flashback was pulled off in a great way, 1 page of the good stuff, a partnership between King and Kaido.
And the best stuff, Zoro once again proving that he is simply too strong for the universe, even if he is facing a god!

Now that we all saw the brutality that Zoro is capable of even when chopping off parts of the most durable being in the world, everyone knows what that means for Kaido, whether they want to admit it or not. Compared to what King has offered, I dont know how Oda can make ZKK better considering that splitting King's body is a better achievement...

The legend is complete, Zoro has defeated a Fishman underwater.
He has defeated stone assimilation human inside a mountain.
And finally, he has defeated the king of skies.
Land, sea or air, the king who rules them all is about to introduce himself to the world by doing you know what! :finally:
While at it, Zoro added another domain to his rule, the hell itself. Kaido has been dethroned by a worthy successor!
Onto the next Zoro task, the marathon is far from over!
You crazy man but I did enjoy the chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.