Powers & Abilities Sanji cracking Luffy's skull is canon in the manga

This is my first ever thread so I hope you guys like it.

So in the Whole Cake anime, during Sanji and Luffy's fight there was a scene were for a brief moment, Sanji seemingly cracks Luffy's skull
(Sorry the gif cuts out the skull-cracking thing but you get the picture)

Now I don't know what this forums opinions on this are, but where I bring this up (discord servers) I'm usually met with the "anime isn't canon" and yadda yadda (Which I don't disagree on) but I wanted to look even further into it and a peer dmed me Chapter 844 Colored and in kanji. This is what I found

Those two characters make up the sfx phrase "Meki". Here's what Meki means:

Other times when the sfx "Meki" is used:

Zoro grabbing Miss Monday's skull and cracking it:

Vergo cracking Sanji's shin (Sad Boy Hours):

Queen when landing on Big Mom:

Sanji kicking Oven (Chadji Hours):

BONUS: Here is another kick Sanji did on Luffy with the sfx "Boki" (this is the one the anime showed the skull cracking)

I also made sure to reaffirm my research with Viz's current translator Stephen Paul:

Take it as you will, but I felt like this was necessary information to share

Good find on the cracking part, unfortunately you are only partially right. Sanji never cracked Luffy's skull. He broke Luffy's nose (cartilage) and teeth.

Here is Luffy's face prior to being kicked by Sanji.

Here is Luffy as he's being kicked by Sanji. We can already see a tooth has popped out.

Here is the aftermath of the attack. We can see that Luffy has a broken nose, broken teeth and bleeding from the mouth.

It's still an impressive feat.

Thats weird....hmm

Well Concasse did knock him unconcious. Still the strongest attack.

Wait....are you sure the cracking isnt the sound of DJ ?
When I search up. "Goki" in the SFX translator, it specifically cites breaking a bone as an example. "Baki" cites something breaking in half.
Post automatically merged:

Good find on the cracking part, unfortunately you are only partially right. Sanji never cracked Luffy's skull. He broke Luffy's nose (cartilage) and teeth.

Here is Luffy as he's being kicked by Sanji. We can already see a tooth has popped out.

Here is the aftermath of the attack. We can see that Luffy has a broken nose, broken teeth and bleeding from the mouth.

Thank You for the input. Much appreciated

Last edited:

People always bring up Luffy vs Cracker to downplay Sanji's performance against Luffy. But Cracker has never been shown injuring Luffy aside from his arms. Sure Luffy was tired but being tired would affect his speed and strength, not his rubber base durabiliy. So Sanji cracking parts of his face is really impressive. And Luffy is an endurance god, so knocking him unconcious, albeit a minute at most...was still very impressive !!

Those two characters make up the sfx phrase "Meki". Here's what Meki means:
Isn't this diffrnt attack tho? And Luffy teeth is already broken.

Also, are the Sfx phrases same in both?

Isn't this diffrnt attack tho? And Luffy teeth is already broken.

Also, are the Sfx phrases same in both?
They are not. Each time it was a different sfx that mean the same thing
Post automatically merged:

This is a really good catch! Kinda wondering what point you’re trying to make, though...? Now that you’ve connected these dots, what are we supposed to take away from this?
That's really up to you. I think it shows a very impressive AP feat for Sanji that is a bit overlooked imo.