Questions & Mysteries Overall How do you feel about Gear 5?

How Do You feel about Gear 5?

• Total voters
It's a double edged sword. At the moment, we have no idea what caused this to awaken and probably won't considering this parallels the Gear 2nd showcase in Enies Lobby. I agree with a lot of people that the Chosen One stuff really dampens part of what made Luffy so endearing (unlikely hero).

However, on the plus side, it feels like we've gone full circle and we're seeing some of the humor and fighting style of early One Piece again. I'll be honest, I really find Haki to be a boring power system. And even thought Gear 5th "Radiates Conqueror's", it feels like the fighting style is going to be limiting how much "haki clash" we see. But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

The abilities are exactly what I expected for the gum-gum awakening and the design is awesome. Even the true name is great for Luffy's role in the story as a liberator and freedom seeker. What's great about it is that it's only as powerful as your imagination. If you lack creativity, the fruit doesn't mean shit. And the cartoon styled attacks really reflect Luffy's current sense of inner freedom, being ecstatic with the fact that his body is unrestricted and he can affect the environment at will. I'd say this is the best gear reveal in the series and even makes previous gears more interesting. Regarding the design I like how Luffy's hair is on fire representing the dawn to come.

I have no problem with the power Luffy has in G5/awakening, except the looney toons part. I feel like that's too goofy even for Luffy. I don't like the fact Oda changed Luffy's DF to give him that power.

I was expecting Luffy to figure out a way to overcome his limit in G4. I believed awakening would allow Luffy to change his environment to rubber.

I have no problem with the power Luffy has in G5/awakening, except the looney toons part. I feel like that's too goofy even for Luffy. I don't like the fact Oda changed Luffy's DF to give him that power.

I was expecting Luffy to figure out a way to overcome his limit in G4. I believed awakening would allow Luffy to change his environment to rubber.
That's exactly what it does, he did it against Kaido

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Looks trash af. Luffy reverted back to looking like a fucking kid again where he was buffed.

Gear 4 Snakeman design >>>>> this shit.

As for powers. Well, we still don't have much. He can use the terrain as he pleases I guess? Aside from that, he is just using a bigger Gear 3 version.

Can't really say much about it for now. It better have some cooler applications because it looks the worst out of all Gear forms.

My original guess was that Luffy was going to use awakening to stall after the first round of Gear 4, since 1 round wouldn't be enough. He really needed a non-Haki tool to not be dead weight. Essentially, this panel is what I expected of the entire battle

But 2 things ruined it and the arc/series.

(1) Destiny Child Devil Fruit. This trope is tried and tired and ruined the whole premise of Luffy taking a dumb/inconsequential devil fruit and making it something awesome. Oda just had to make up a fake god.

(2) Goofy Tunes. Absolutely killed the tension. It's one thing that Luffy is goofy, but his opponents? That will ruin any Blackbeard/Admiral fights.

All in all, I've said this before: One Piece relies too much on "reveals". The storywriting is heading down the drain, and the only thing Oda can do is "reveal secrets". I doubt Oda had this in mind since the beginning. But he needed another "reveal" to try and resuscitate the arc.

i like it as a power up, it's about time that luffy gets something that puts him ahead of the rest, being his peak finally hammers in the fact that the series is at it's ending stages.
i hope oda doesn't nerf gear 5 with some bs limitations, the awakening is supposed to give the luffy more strength and freedom after all.
i also like the design, and how smoothly luffy's physique changes according to his actions.

i hate the part about the name/type change, and also the fact that it links luffy directly to joyboy.
zoan fruits having a mind of their own is not surprising, we already know that they can influence their users on a basic instinctual level, i'm okay with that when it comes to normal wild animal zoans, but being a human "god" zoan makes things complicated and puts luffy's individuality into question, especially because nika's disposition is similar to luffy's.
it also mocks the aspect of "inherited will", what seemed like an accidental event (luffy eating the fruit) was all according of the nika's plan, that's not inheritance, that's forced fate.