Rate this chapter

• Total voters
Questioner: Hello Odachi! Based on the cover of Chapter 1031, the second man in the Heart Staff is Bebo, isn't it? I was surprised by this because I thought that the three Bebo, Bengin and Sachi together make up the second man! Does this mean that Beppu (Seolong) is the strongest among them? From Pudding O

Oda: You're talking about that cover, of course Zoro and the rest of the cover don't all have the title "Deputy Captain." These two men's group were all chosen arbitrarily

ZORO IS VICE CAPTAIN STANS IN THE MUD!!! USOPP VICE CAPTAIN FOREVER

I do like Gear 5 but this shit is way too goofy for a final battle even by OP standards. Luffy is hax AF now. I don't know how the battles with the Admirals, Gorosei, Shanks, or Blackbeard even play out at this point. I really hope Kaido doesn't go down without showing us his Awakening.

couple things here he is not called joyboy for nothing if anything I expected even goofier abilities I was really hoping to see gear 5 form in the color spread. second thing you guys do realize we have another war right?? there gonna be a war at the end of the series when luffy finds the one piece takes down the goverment so if you dont see big mom and kaido do awaking relax oda may be saving up the big powers for later ..

That’s my problem…

the PU is perfect for Luffy, it's reflecting Luffy's soul. Gear 5 is the essence of Luffy's character
BUT
I don’t like his influence on his opponents and other characters.

Luffy being goofy = alright
The whole manga turning into a cartoon = sucks

it’s still too op and I don’t like writing around it. These are "general" problems though
This is exactly my problem rn. It's way too goofy and op.
Post automatically merged:

Are people still going to say Luffy is not a chosen one that got godly powers by fate?
Yes

Luffy has everything in this series, everything

Luffy's Devil Fruit Awakening can both change the enviroment (Doflamingo and Katakuri) and living beings (Law and Kidd)

Luffy HAS EVERYTHING
So I made an account specifically to respond to this, but I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Katakuri's awakening can change his whole environment into mochi. Him being able to change people into mochi would be too overpowered because Katakuri controls mochi.

Kidd's awakening can change living beings into magnets. Him being able to change his environment into metal would be too overpowered because Kidd controls metal.

It's true that Luffy can cause his environment and living things to have the properties of rubber (at selective moments). But it's not necessarily overpowered because Luffy doesn't control rubber in the same way that Katakuri/Kidd control mochi/metal.

Anyways I don't think these have ever been hard rules. Oda gave Luffy this power because he felt it would be fun to draw and fit the themes and character.

Aside from this being one of the best fights you'll ever read in a shounen

Heres some important notes from this chapter:

Luffy is confirmed to be all white in his Awakening form. Pure White hair and Body. Which is a massive relief because everyone thought he had Golden hair and I really hated that. We don't need another Super Saiyan transformation reference. That would have felt generic. This feels WAY more unique. Plus Luffy being All White is another Direct Contrast to Blackbeard. The Black & The White, The Light & The Dark etc etc. The same way Whitebeard was. Which sort of suggests that Luffy is the next "Big Good" of the Pirate World the same way Whitebeard was.

Kaido confirms for us that, Luffy is coated in BOTH Armament AND Conqueror's Haki. This is a reminder that Haki is invisible and it's not always going to be shown to us.

Last and most importantly, Kaido is outright confirming that Zoan types Transform when they Awaken. Which is a huge deal. Because it suggests that, if Kaido has Awakening then he has another Transformation up his sleeve.

This confirmation implies something else. He says specifically that Paramecias Transform the Environment, and that Zoans Transform. But he never confirmed what Logias do when they Awaken. Meaning that their Awakening is likely completely different than the other 2 types and NOT changing the environment like people initially thought. So Aokiji & Akainu's feat on Punk Hazard is NOT a product of their Awakening.