Chapter Discussion Oda is good at writing lore but weak at fighting panels

This is my opinion after looking at all criticism i read about wano arc .

I am at the point oda doesnt like drawing fighting panels and readers have criticized here the expectation are not upto the mark compared to other mangas like opm , kingdom which has known to deliver great panels .

Even though i observe there is heavy criticism reader do comeback here time to time and this is where oda has gained points.

Even though wano war arc is not upto expectation readers are still curious about the secrets of OP lore this is where oda is pretty consistent he has great ability to keep readers engaging about character's past or void century.

Single panel of rocks or kaido's past will still keep readers hooked on.

What do you think ? Do you agree with this ??

This is my opinion after looking at all criticism i read about wano arc .

I am at the point oda doesnt like drawing fighting panels and readers have criticized here the expectation are not upto the mark compared to other mangas like opm , kingdom which has known to deliver great panels .

Even though i observe there is heavy criticism reader do comeback here time to time and this is where oda has gained points.

Even though wano war arc is not upto expectation readers are still curious about the secrets of OP lore this is where oda is pretty consistent he has great ability to keep readers engaging about character's past or void century.

Single panel of rocks or kaido's past will still keep readers hooked on.

What do you think ? Do you agree with this ??
I think Oda is just exhausted since timeskip. His fighting scenes themselves are still good when he puts his mind into it, like Law vs Smoker, Luffy vs Doflamingo, Luffy vs Katakuri or Luffy vs Kaidou in 1037. The thing is, currently Oda often drag a subplot for too long even without any importance, and he does this dragging stuff as well with the fights. If the entire Luffy vs Kaidou is for example 6 focused chapters consisting a full beatdown battle like 1037, with its ups and downs, lore explorations and flashback involving Kaidou, powerup and despair and loss and Awakening etc, without switching the focus to other stuff, it will be much much better compared to the dragging version that happened from 1000-1048.

Oda was good at paneling the fight imo, just see Luffy vs Crocodile, Luffy vs Lucci etc. But being extremely tired from weekly schedule, does dry out an author from being capable of maximum storytelling.

I disagree that Oda is good about the lore. The story needs to keep the lore intact, not to destroy it.

Look at Yonkos. They were introduced so big, but then becomes a joke. World strongest creature? Lol. not to mention 7 warlords that are another jokes. Look at Nikka and Joy Boy, they are basically Luffy prequal. Sometimes lore is better not to be touch directly.

OP is just the worse now. I watch Arcane, which has only 9 episode, and it gets better story, lore, and fight than 1047 chapters combined of One Piece.

Last edited:
I disagree that Oda is good about the lore. The story needs to keep the lore intact, not to destroy it.

Look at Yonkos. They were introduced so big, but then becomes a joke. World strongest creature? Lol. not to mention 7 warlords that are another jokes. Look at Nikka and Joy Boy, they are basically Luffy prequal. Sometimes lore is better not to be touch directly.

OP is just the worse now. I watch Arcane, which has only 9 episode, and it gets better story, lore, and fight than 1047 chapters combined of One Piece.
I fully disagree with you, if you read it arc by arc it's pretty consistent with what Oda is trying to depict, there's a progression of events that carry the spectators to a final point, is like reading every hero's journey but with tons of goofiness in it

When people say that One Piece is "not really about fights," idk what they're on about

The MC is literally set to be the strongest in the verse

Just because Oda doesn't care about power-scaling and just because fights aren't the only thing that One Piece offers, doesn't mean that fights aren't a hugely important aspect of the series

I don't even think it's about writing lore per se. I think it's about the sheer amount of characters he can come up with.

I think he even said his favourite part of One Piece is coming up with goofy character designs.

I'd disagree. Oda used to be good at it, i dont think he is good anymore. For the last few years Oda has been only milking fans while not delivering on anything. It is like how he had been hyping Wano for years only to end up writing one of the worst arcs of Onepiece.

At this point I've started feeling even some of fanfiction endings might end up being better than what Oda may have planned, but problem is most fans has been following it too long to drop it now, without reading the ending. This is the real reason some come back to it.​

Don't wanna bash him..So in short he has really good story..But execution is really bad..
Lore is u r talking about was set up decades ago , but nothing has progressed so far...
It's like watching suspense movie and everyone wants it to finish to know the mystery...Even thought second half of the movies is trash and unwatchable..
For me on both aspect lore and fight Oda is average..

I wouldn't even say that Oda is particularly good at lore or world building. He isn't bad but he is overrated.
Dunno if I would go so far as to say that the world building is bad but I would say that folk overrate it.

Oda is creative and he certainly creates varied and exotic places with some inspiration from real life locations (e.g. Water 7 is Venice on steroids and Alabasta is Egypt). With that said, being creative is not the same as being consistent.

There are occasionally odd moments that just do not make much sense within the context of the verse.

For example, the ignorance regarding devil fruits from the East Blue populace is baffling considering that nearly every big name, top tier character in the verse has a devil fruit and has their faces plastered on either Bounty Posters or a newspaper franchise that covers the whole globe.

Everyone in East Blue gets Luffy's bounty poster regardless of whether they live in the back arse of nowhere like the Dadan Family or Syrup Village. They should know of the Yonko/Admirals along with their devil fruit powers, that stuff is common knowledge.

Another oddity is when nearly everyone during Jaya Arc claims that the possibility of Sky Island existing is a complete fantasy. Come Sky Island Arc, Gan Fall casually knows what Blue Sea dwellers are and talks of other routes from the Grand Line to the White Sea.

Again, why is there colossal public ignorance in regards to the existence of any Sky Islands when there are known routes to them along with globe spanning information services?

A lot of Oda's world just is not interconnected. Each island might as well be it's own universe considering how self contained they are.

Oda also has this habit of needlessly expanding the lore of his verse even when it adds nothing. Case in point, Xebec.

For over 20 years, it was a fact that the big names of the Old Era were Roger, Shiki and Newgate with Roger being the greatest among them.

900+ chapters and 20 years later and Oda spontaneously drops Xebec out of nowhere as a rival to Roger (who already had three rivals) and as the original Captain of Newgate, Shiki, Kaido and Linlin which just makes so little sense considering the personalities of these characters demand that they be independent. It also takes a bit of the "legendary" sheen off of these characters knowing that they were subordinates to some other bloke before they became Captains.

Unless Xebec ends up being Oda's version of Madura (which is a bad idea in itself) then there was absolutely no reason to introduce a character like Xebec this late into the story since all he does is degrade the portrayal of already well established legendary characters.

Oda simply likes endlessly expanding the lore of his verse regardless of if it actually adds anything to it.

When people say that One Piece is "not really about fights," idk what they're on about

The MC is literally set to be the strongest in the verse

Just because Oda doesn't care about power-scaling and just because fights aren't the only thing that One Piece offers, doesn't mean that fights aren't a hugely important aspect of the series
When all problems are solved with a fight, there's no way to say that One Piece is not about fighting.