Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many years ago was WCI and what has she accomplished since?

I applaud the dedication though. :cheers:
Whole cake island was about four years ago.
She has practically done nothing throughout this entire freaking arc besides saving Marco. Her fight ends up being skipped over in comparison to the strawhats in their alliance. Her enemies have affected her in the past have already been defeated by non strawhats characters. To be honest we have not seen carrot for quite a while

I'm really not sure what Oda's plan for Yamato is at this point. Luffy just defeated Kaido, Yamato's father who was holding her back all these years, and Yamato was just yelling at Momo the entire fight. It didn't really feel like the story was emphasizing her here, and that's strange considering that she might become a main character
Compare that to when Luffy beat Lucci and the story emphasized Robin's reaction to Luffy's victory
Or in the climax of the Arlong fight when we got this page of Nami's relief at seeing Luffy destroy the place of her oppression

It feels strange that Momo got emphasized more in this chapter than Yamato if she's gonna be the next Strawhat.
Yamato isn't like Robin and Nami so why do you expect emotional distress from her wasn't she fighting kaido daily it was her freedom that kaido took from her and luffy remove that so what else do you want? U should say that about carrot who isn't in the chapter but “still allegedly sneak on the ship" when oda doesn't even show that will happen

Nothing arbitrary here, it's how Oda works, this is a simple tool to developp character. All character don't have the same type of character arc. While this is a scale, there are different steps, patterns and convergence points in the nature of every character arc in the story.

For example: Strawhat are usually high placed on the scale while background or non developped characters (like Im) are lower.

The place of the character can evolve of course. But this must be analysed in relation with the story

For example: The reason that Katakuri is so loved is firstly because of his place on this scale (higher than the average antagonists)

Also, note that a character can have MULTIPLE character arc and thus have different place on the scale.
That's so dumb because it completely ignores things like
1. How much attention was given to a character's arc
2. How much time was dedicated to a character's arc
And not to mention that some of your scores are just absurd. Aokiji, a man who lost faith in the Marines and decided to pursue his own brand of justice, gets a 1.5 while Carrot and Yamato who have barely changed at all get scored that high? You're just arbitrarily deciding how important a character's arc is based on nothing

What as been written, never disappears

So I ask you again, does that place of Carrot in whole cake makes sence for a background character?
Yes. Because she was a tag along so she was going to get a lot of screentime. (Plus she's marketable)

You keep clinging onto her involvement in Whole Cake like she did anything lmao. :gokulaugh: All she did was Sulong which is not exclusive to her.

And not to mention that some of your scores are just absurd. Aokiji, a man who lost faith in the Marines and decided to pursue his own brand of justice, gets a 1.5 while Carrot and Yamato who has barely changed at all get scored that high? You're just arbitrarily deciding how important a character's arc is based on nothing
Do you read about Yamato's entire character? We don't even know what was Yamato doing before was in Wano not to mention about her mother there are more about the kaido and Yamato relationship but y'all saw that little flashback with kaido thinking it's done 😂😭

Yes it ignores those two factor. Because from a writing perspective : Time =/= Value

A short but intense character arc, is sometimes stronger that a long one but bland. This is basic storytelling.

Did you actually saw Aokiji Struggled ? Did you saw him make a hard choice ?

THe answer is no, we can only guess, his character arc is therefore LESS strong that a character arc like the one for Carrot who we saw struggle.

Carrot and Yamato who have barely changed at all get scored that high?
You might learn one day that a character arc is less about "change" and more about taking action against our own demons. Sometime, a character arc can be flat and still extremmely strong. For example: Sanji in whole cake is a flat character arc.

Trust me, i've been thinking about this for a while and have taken everything into account.

I understand that some result might chock you. But that's because you might have a bias vision of the character based on their :

- Charisma
- Importance for the story
- Status
- Allegances

When in fact.. Those thing do not matter if we talk about character arc. Only the story counts.

Post automatically merged:

You keep clinging onto her involvement in Whole Cake like she did anything lmao. :gokulaugh: All she did was Sulong which is not exclusive to her.
She did a lot more than that, go read the story please.

Yamato isn't like Robin and Nami so why do you expect emotional distress from her wasn't she fighting kaido daily it was her freedom that kaido took from her and luffy remove that so what else do you want? U should say that about carrot who isn't in the chapter but “still allegedly sneak on the ship" when oda doesn't evYen show that will happen
I think Yamato should be given the same amount of attention the rest of the crew received if she's going to be a main character. Don't you think that it would've made sense for her to be more prominent in the chapter where Luffy defeats her father?
Do you read about Yamato's entire character? We don't even know what was Yamato doing before was in Wano not to mention about her mother there are more about the kaido and Yamato relationship but y'all saw that little flashback with kaido thinking it's done 😂😭
I'm sure there's still more to her and Kaido that we haven't seen yet. But like, how have we seen Yamato change since we were introduced to her? Or Carrot for that matter? I don't see why either of them should be given such a high score right now

Yamato change since we were introduced to her?
Again,

You might learn one day that a character arc is less about "change" and more about taking action against our own demons. Sometime, a character arc can be flat and still extremmely strong. For example: Sanji in whole cake is a flat character arc.

Trust me, i've been thinking about this for a while and have taken everything into account.

I understand that some result might chock you. But that's because you might have a bias vision of the character based on their :

- Charisma
- Importance for the story
- Status
- Allegances

When in fact.. Those thing do not matter if we talk about character arcs. Only the story matters.

think Yamato should be given the same amount of attention the rest of the crew received if she's going to be a main character. Don't you think that it would've made sense for her to be more prominent in the chapter where Luffy defeats her father?
We don't even know that Kaido is officially announced defeated yet 😭 not to mention both her and momo are on the ground where kaido fell also luffy is falling too you really think she dont going to say something about it she was the one to tell kaido about Joyboy but I guess you didn't see that panel right

sure there's still more to her and Kaido that we haven't seen yet. But like, how have we seen Yamato change since we were introduced to her? Or Carrot for that matter? I don't see why either of them should be given such a high score right now
So what are you saying that what Yamato has been doing since her introduction isn't anything? Cause she did more than anyone in the raid we see her tell Momo not to give up when he's was at a breaking point but I guess you didn't read that chapter as well and FYI don't even compare Yamato to carrot who is an empty shell as a character cause I know you see who's getting moments in Wano right now

Yes it ignores those two factor. Because from a writing perspective : Time =/= Value

A short but intense character arc, is sometimes stronger that a long one but bland. This is basic storytelling.
It's crazy that you would say this for One Piece of all series but whatever.
But like, do you not know what slow-burn storytelling is? Where a character's arc is put on the backburner, but you can clearly see how they've changed by comparing their actions at different points in a story?

Did you actually saw Aokiji Struggled ? Did you saw him make a hard choice ?
Aokiji directly tells Smoker that leaving the Marines changed his perspective on things. If you don't think that's a character arc I don't know what to tell you

THe answer is no, we can only guess, his character arc is therefore LESS strong that a character arc like the one for Carrot who we saw struggle.
Carrot has no character arc

Except that Sanji's arc in WCI wasn't flat. The whole point was that he learned it was okay to be selfish and ask for help.

She did a lot more than that, go read the story please.
I'm serious. What about Carrot's 'arc' in WCI was impactful? Pedro's was, sure, but Carrot didn't really have much of an arc to begin with

We don't even know that Kaido is officially announced defeated yet 😭 not to mention both her and momo are on the ground where kaido fell also luffy is falling too you really think she dont going to say something about it she was the one to tell kaido about Joyboy but I guess you didn't see that panel right
I mean, Kaido's clearly done. There'll be some text box saying "Winner: Strawhat Luffy" next chapter. Sure, Yamato will probably react next chapter, but compare this chapter to the chapters where Lucci or Arlong were defeated. Robin and Nami were given center stage in the final blows, but Yamato just kinda hasn't. Throughout the climax, it genuinely feels like Yamato is playing second fiddle to Momo, and idk I don't think that's a great sign for her

So what are you saying that what Yamato has been doing since her introduction isn't anything? Cause she did more than anyone in the raid we see her tell Momo not to give up when he's was at a breaking point but I guess you didn't read that chapter as well and FYI don't even compare Yamato to carrot who is an empty shell as a character cause I know you see who's getting moments in Wano right now
I said how have we seen her change. We've seen her do stuff yeah, but it doesn't feel like she's any different now than when we were introduced to her.

Last edited:
But like, do you not know what slow-burn storytelling is? Where a character's arc is put on the backburner, but you can clearly see how they've changed by comparing their actions at different points in a story?
A character arc is every step a character go through from the moment he is put into a situation to the moment he resolves that situation. So yea a character arc can be a backburner and can eventually evolve. That's what happen (I think) with Carrot. Her character arc is in the background but STILL shown and STILL ungoing. It's not finished yet and has been developped since the beginning of Whole cake.

Aokiji directly tells Smoker that leaving the Marines changed his perspective on things. If you don't think that's a character arc I don't know what to tell you
It doesn't matter, a character arc can't be just a change of perspective at randome, it has to be shown in the story.

Carrot has no character arc
She has, it's just a small and unresolved one.

Except that Sanji's arc in WCI wasn't flat. The whole point was that he learned it was okay to be selfish and ask for help.
Yes it was a flat arc.
Sanji did learned to ask for help, but Sanji did not changed drastically, he stayed the same from the start to the finish. That's what flat means. What did change on the other hand is everyone else around him. In other word, it's the kindness of Sanji who changed people around him.

I'm serious. What about Carrot's 'arc' in WCI was impactful? Pedro's was, sure, but Carrot didn't really have much of an arc to begin with
What was impactfull? Her capacity to accept the death of her mentor, her capacity to stay in action while living the worst moment in her life and her capacity to stay cheerful while suffering a major trauma.

Carrot's arc is still ungoing. That's what people fail to see. The defeat of Carrot is a nail on the coffin.

Why do you think Carrot is ONE of the few important character in the alliance who actually lost her fight. Defeat in manga is not something to overlook like I see a lot here. It's MAJOR. It's very... VERY important.

Carrot rushed toward Perospero thinking that she owned the place, that she could do something. Result? She got slapped in the face, worst she got laughed at by her antagonist. Let me remind you that it was something the fanbase was waiting for for years... and Oda choose the defeat and an humiliation.

This screams "development".

You know what? What and Oda did through Perospero and her defeat, is something Oda has done since the beginning with Carrot:

Constantly... (Being scolded by Pedro and Wanda for wanting to have fun on the seas) ...putting her ... (defeat against brulee) .. in front... (Pedro's death in the wonderland) ... of her (defeat against Katakuri)... contradictions.... (Defeat against Perospero)

Oda has been VERY subtle with Carrot.. but everything is here.. in front of our eyes. Carrot is meant to learn that the naivety can be VERY dangerous. But she is also bound to surpass that... Why ?

Because she is a future strawhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.