General Mafia General Chat

Rej

Year of the black beard!
I agree majority to work out is a miracle here.

Jk tho its just not popular and it would be a change of pace for everyone.

What I saw being successful in some setups is having non voters vote themselves while you dont allow to unvote. Now once voted the vote will stick and pressure the game forward.

This ofcourse is something that doesn't allow a strategic unvote and players have to adapt to it.

Has 'silencing' so far always been handled with a modkill (or rolecrush?) as punishment once it gets broken?

It's kinda getting boring ngl

I think maybe trying smth new like giving ppl a warning "breaking it will have consequences", which could be up to the scum team. Giving an extra superkill/modkill they can use during the same day (they dont have to kill the person they silenced, maybe scum have someone else in mind), or the one who should be silenced ends up with a vote or two on themselves for the rest of the game/until they die, or it stacks the more days pass, etc

D

Dragomir

Has 'silencing' so far always been handled with a modkill (or rolecrush?) as punishment once it gets broken?

I think maybe trying smth new like giving ppl a warning "breaking it will have consequences", which could be up to the scum team. Giving an extra superkill/modkill they can use during the same day (they dont have to kill the person they silenced, maybe scum have someone else in mind), or the one who should be silenced ends up with a vote or two on themselves for the rest of the game/until they die, or it stacks the more days pass, etc
These alternative punishments work better for post-restrictions, not post-silence. A post-restriction is a much lesser version of the latter. Mod-kill would be too strict of a punishment for that. However, for silence, a mod-kill is fitting. When scum silences a player, they're doing it for a reason. One most likely being that the player is really good and could get them lynched using their skills. Or they might have incriminating results, etc. If the player who's supposed to be silenced just breaks it then any non-mod-kill punishment wouldn't be enough to be a proper reprimand. Scum used a powerful ability on that player. It's only fair an equally powerful if not more punishment is served in the event the player breaks their restriction.

If I'm scum and I silence a townie so they wouldn't be a threat to my team in the day phase, then I would want that townie mod-killed immediately if they refuse to stop posting. I don't want them to get a permanent vote or something. I'd find that lame and not fair, especially if that townie had lynched either me or one of my buddies the day phase they were supposed to be silenced. And if I get a super-kill, I'm probably just using it on the player that was supposed to be silenced.

A mod-kill might be boring, but it's the correct punishment.

J

Joygirl1

Is Silencing even a good and fun ability to begin with? It´s not even that powerful for mafs compared to the other stuff they have (or could have instead). Also, when a formerly active player suddenly turns silent it´s not that hard to figure out anymore what could have happened...

Another thing I really disliked was that random lynch redirection in the FMAB round where the mafs just could randomly redirect the lynch to any player they wanted, basically giving them a free guaranteed extra kill instead of a lynch. Don´t get me wrong, in the board where I played before there were also abilities that could manipulate the lynches but this one here was just totally OP and destroyed every effort the players were trying to make the whole day phase.

Both of those abilities don´t add much fun to the games in my opinion, there could be better solutions instead of that.

These alternative punishments work better for post-restrictions, not post-silence. A post-restriction is a much lesser version of the latter. Mod-kill would be too strict of a punishment for that. However, for silence, a mod-kill is fitting. When scum silences a player, they're doing it for a reason. One most likely being that the player is really good and could get them lynched using their skills. Or they might have incriminating results, etc. If the player who's supposed to be silenced just breaks it then any non-mod-kill punishment wouldn't be enough to be a proper reprimand. Scum used a powerful ability on that player. It's only fair an equally powerful if not more punishment is served in the event the player breaks their restriction.

If I'm scum and I silence a townie so they wouldn't be a threat to my team in the day phase, then I would want that townie mod-killed immediately if they refuse to stop posting. I don't want them to get a permanent vote or something. I'd find that lame and not fair, especially if that townie had lynched either me or one of my buddies the day phase they were supposed to be silenced. And if I get a super-kill, I'm probably just using it on the player that was supposed to be silenced.

A mod-kill might be boring, but it's the correct punishment.
Yea but my example was just an example, u can imagine anything as punishment, there's a lot of options unless u prefer the "easy" way.

Imagine its day1, scum doesnt really have a clear target so they just throw a silence at somebody during night phase, their target gets a warning that theres gonna be consequences for breaking it, p much not knowing what'll happen. Then they go ahead and just post smth but during the day someone else claims cop or whatever, scum just earned themselves a free day superkill on the one who claimed cause the silenced one decided to talk.
It's way more #entertaining that way, if this seems too "weak" u can add the vote on the silence target in addition to free superkill if they break it. A vote or two can make a big difference late game, especially when said target hasnt been that interesting in the early phases since scum realized its not worth paying attention to them after all, and late game they can just mislynch them cause they already got a vote or two against them. Even just superkilling/modkilling could be option for scum if they think their n1 silence target should actually die

Depending on the setup the punishment could be anything like getting to control their role and then they die at the end of a cycle, or get janitor killed + control their role for the rest of the phase/cycle, undo whatever they did at night/day or on a specific day/night, etc

Again, depends on setup and how one balances it, scum can have a bunch of options on how to deal with ppl. And i mean for example within same setup they can choose what to do with their target from a list of possibilities the host provides, "modkill" can be an option too if scum so wishes

D

Dragomir

Is Silencing even a good and fun ability to begin with? It´s not even that powerful for mafs compared to the other stuff they have (or could have instead). Also, when a formerly active player suddenly turns silent it´s not that hard to figure out anymore what could have happened...

Another thing I really disliked was that random lynch redirection in the FMAB round where the mafs just could randomly redirect the lynch to any player they wanted, basically giving them a free guaranteed extra kill instead of a lynch. Don´t get me wrong, in the board where I played before there were also abilities that could manipulate the lynches but this one here was just totally OP and destroyed every effort the players were trying to make the whole day phase.

Both of those abilities don´t add much fun to the games in my opinion, there could be better solutions instead of that.
It certainly isn't fun to the person at the receiving end but it's definitely powerful. You get to make someone who you consider to a threat to your faction quiet. Sure, a day super-kill is better but you can't fill the game with kills. Gotta slice it up with other stuff.

I do 100% agree on lynch redirects. Scum just having lynch redirects to do whatever they want at their pleasure is whack as fuck and completely obliterates the purpose of a day phase which is supposed to be town's power. In my game, a lynch redirect existed but it less of a lynch redirect and more of extra time for town to lynch someone else after the day ended. It wasn't controlled by scum at all. I can't say much more since the game is still ongoing but you're free to check post-game when I post the setups and stuff.

D

Dragomir

Yea but my example was just an example, u can imagine anything as punishment, there's a lot of options unless u prefer the "easy" way.

Imagine its day1, scum doesnt really have a clear target so they just throw a silence at somebody during night phase, their target gets a warning that theres gonna be consequences for breaking it, p much not knowing what'll happen. Then they go ahead and just post smth but during the day someone else claims cop or whatever, scum just earned themselves a free day superkill on the one who claimed cause the silenced one decided to talk.
It's way more #entertaining that way, if this seems too "weak" u can add the vote on the silence target in addition to free superkill if they break it. A vote or two can make a big difference late game, especially when said target hasnt been that interesting in the early phases since scum realized its not worth paying attention to them after all, and late game they can just mislynch them cause they already got a vote or two against them. Even just superkilling/modkilling could be option for scum if they think their n1 silence target should actually die

Depending on the setup the punishment could be anything like getting to control their role and then they die at the end of a cycle, or get janitor killed + control their role for the rest of the phase/cycle, undo whatever they did at night/day or on a specific day/night, etc

Again, depends on setup and how one balances it, scum can have a bunch of options on how to deal with ppl. And i mean for example within same setup they can choose what to do with their target from a list of possibilities the host provides, "modkill" can be an option too if scum so wishes
I think you're missing the point here. It isn't about doing it the easy way but giving a fair punishment.

Again, if I am scum and I post-silence a player, I'm doing it because that player is a great player who can get my team lynched. If that player continues to post then I want that player dead. I don't care about controlling their role or getting a super-kill. That player needs to go. Certain players are bigger threats than important roles like cop and doctor. That's the mindset I'll be having and that's the mindset a lot of scum have from my own experience hosting games. The scenario you described is a really weird one because if scum is using a post-silence then they do have a clear idea of who they want to target. What scum goes around throwing post-silence at random? Especially if they're limited.

If it's punishment for a post-restriction then I absolutely encourage doing something like you're suggesting. Mod-kills as punishment for post-restrictions is way too extreme. Something like you're coming up with works much better and makes it more fun. But for post-silence? Mod-kill. Janitor-kill + control role for rest of the cycle is rather pushing it though. That's already a mod-kill and thensome.

I think you're missing the point here. It isn't about doing it the easy way but giving a fair punishment.

Again, if I am scum and I post-silence a player, I'm doing it because that player is a great player who can get my team lynched. If that player continues to post then I want that player dead. I don't care about controlling their role or getting a super-kill. That player needs to go. Certain players are bigger threats than important roles like cop and doctor. That's the mindset I'll be having and that's the mindset a lot of scum have from my own experience hosting games. The scenario you described is a really weird one because if scum is using a post-silence then they do have a clear idea of who they want to target. What scum goes around throwing post-silence at random? Especially if they're limited.

If it's punishment for a post-restriction then I absolutely encourage doing something like you're suggesting. Mod-kills as punishment for post-restrictions is way too extreme. Something like you're coming up with works much better and makes it more fun. But for post-silence? Mod-kill. Janitor-kill + control role for rest of the cycle is rather pushing it though. That's already a mod-kill and thensome.
Im not missing ur point, i get what ur saying. I just find the overall approach boring

Also I see it from a perspective of not hunting for players, but for roles. I always hunt roles first over players, if ur doing it different then thats ur style. If i silence someone, they break it and i get to control their role while they also get janitored then thats good for me if they also happen to be a vig or smth hostile, p much can get rid off the silenced one + a player who might be troublesome later on cause of their reads. 2 birds, 1 stone. Also if a troublesome player has a good role then im more likely than not gonna try to kill them lol

The scenario i described is as i said, n1 target and assuming its unlimited silencing. Later on is usually ppl to just make them stop talking. If they dont know whatll happen to them for breaking it then theyre maybe more likely to not break it.

Also idk how post restrictions made it into this convo lol, i usually see ppl get rolecrushed for breaking those, which seems fine. I guess my suggestions fitting to them is cool tho, would be nice to see ppl suffer in a new way lmao

I think some ppl like using silence ability in their games, i personally prefer seeing games with high activity so wouldn't necessarily add it if i were to host, but depends on how much id wanna make players suffer if activity were to be sacrificed for it. Some ppl make funny posts so would be kinda sad seeing them silenced

I dont mind lynch redirect, feel like i havent seen that kinda ability in a long time tho. Could be useful if votes are close/tied and scum uses it to make it less obvious scum was on the leading wagon, or just redirect to someone. would recommend town to get rid of the role with the lynch redirect before scum can use it lol

If ppl really dont like it then could possibly replace lynch redirect with letting scum vote in pm while camouflage by voting normally in thread, iirc Aries' had a funny Bleach themed role in one of his games where scum could do that

Emil

Certified Memelord
I dont think majority really works here with big games and ppl living in different time zones

Also dont like majority since ppl are either just parking their vote on someone and if they dont keep track of them the day could end at any time, and CFD doesnt work how its intended to if u need to switch at least 15 votes to someone else in like 30mins-1h

I guess the problem is also that 24/48h limit for phases + majority lynch dont fit together. Iirc majority usually had unlimited day length and ppl could decide to end it at any time if there was actually nothing to talk about anymore since they had time to read, catch up, give thoughts. Put a limit on it and ppl will either end the day by just parking their vote on someone cause "i wont be around for EoD since I'll be gone for the next 20h" or we dont reach majority cause ppl decide to lynch someone else and some ppl just aren't around to change their vote

Thats why plurality is superior, theres always someone dying every day, well unless some roles can make it end in no lynch, lol. I prefer when lynch goes to 2nd in line if scum can avoid it, just so someone at least gets lynched.
48 hr day majority is rly good lol
it feels different
town actually comes together. they r forced to not split

Emil

Certified Memelord

post silencing shud never exist lol

Emil

Certified Memelord
@Dragomir post silenced players should get threadbanned so they really cannot talk and do not get modkilled

but better yet not use such ability. its not fun. ud better off be dead lol

btw when is ur champs game starting? what game are u in

Vi and Jinx
Others i enjoyed as well were Silco, Viktor, Ekko and Sevika

48 hr day majority is rly good lol
it feels different
town actually comes together. they r forced to not split
Problem is still time zones, if ppl suddenly decide to change votes few hours before deadline and its like 3am for yuros, that change of lynch target isnt gonna happen and town would have to deal with just lynching someone with current most votes even tho they kinda feel like voting someone else instead, assuming theres a certain amount of muricans in the game

Emil

Certified Memelord
Vi and Jinx
Others i enjoyed as well were Silco, Viktor, Ekko and Sevika

Problem is still time zones, if ppl suddenly decide to change votes few hours before deadline and its like 3am for yuros, that change of lynch target isnt gonna happen and town would have to deal with just lynching someone with current most votes even tho they kinda feel like voting someone else instead, assuming theres a certain amount of muricans in the game
i find 12 pm cst = 6 pm cet good for most players. in majority they have 48 hours. town deserve to get cucked if they r changing in the last 3 hours. they had lots of time and didnt use it

Rej

Year of the black beard!

Its a very toxic ability that excludes a player from playing for 24 hours. Its fun and good in turbos but I personally dont prefer it in 24 hour games. It's mean.