Speculations Mihawk Won his Duel With Shanks

What was the Outcome of Shanks and Mihawk's Duel?

• Mihawk Won

• Shanks Won

• Draw

• The duel was unresolved/otherwise didn't have a conclusion

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Introduction
There seems to be a pervasive misunderstanding that when Shanks had both his arms, he was equal to Mihawk. That they duelled several times, and the results of their many duels was a draw. As far as I can tell, this misunderstanding is based on mistranslations and personal headcanon; the manga does not at all support it.

In this thread, I'll try to set the record straight. I'll be using the Viz translations throughout the post.

A Single Duel
In the first place, there's no actual indication that Mihawk and Shanks had multiple duels. There's no reference to it anywhere in the manga.

Indeed, when Whitebeard met Shanks, he referred to just one duel between Shanks and Mihawk:

Insomuch as references are made to Shanks' fight with Mihawk, it's to this lone duel.

Edit

@Nidai_Kitetsu pointed out that Stephen Paul (Viz's current translator) translated it as "multiple duels" not a single one:
Its not a single duel. Stephen Paul's script has the right translation:

Whitebeard: It passed in the blink of eye, to me...
But plenty already speak of them as legends.
The days of the duels between you and Hawk-Eyes,
they are still fresh in my ears...

https://web.archive.org/web/2010031...ascreener.com/stephen/onepiece/chapter434.txt
(I guess this fits better with Shanks asking Mihawk if he intended to challenge him.)

An Unresolved Battle
Another misunderstanding appears to be that Mihawk's duel with Shanks was unresolved or at least ended in a draw. As far as I can tell, this is due to a mistranslation. When Mihawk visited Shanks, there was no reference to "settling" things/the score.

Instead, Shanks simply asked Mihawk if he was here to challenge him and Mihawk replied that he did not challenge "one armed has-beens":

So there's no actual suggestion that the duel was undecided/unresolved. Indeed, it's likely that there was a victor.

Who was the Victor?
If I claim that there was a victor of Mihawk's duel with Shanks, it's only natural that you ask me to defend this statement. Fortunately, the manga is pretty clear on what the outcome of said duel was.

Brannew said that Mihawk's swordsmanship exceeds "Red Haired the Emperor" (Shanks):

How would Brannew know that Mihawk is the superior swordsman if he didn't win the duel? If he drew their duel, there would be no basis for elevating him above Shanks. Indeed, the very fact that it is Mihawk โ€” and not Shanks โ€” that is considered the World's Strongest Swordsman already heavily implies that Mihawk won their duel:

Further corroborating this manga statement is Mihawk's Vivre Card that states that he's waiting for a swordsman who surpasses Shanks:

This reinforces that Mihawk has surpassed Shanks and no longer considers him a worthy challenger.

Conclusion
The claim that Shanks drew his duel with Mihawk โ€” or that it was otherwise unresolved โ€” is simply without any basis in the manga and is indeed nothing but sheer cope and wishful thinking.

Last edited:
A Single Duel
In the first place, there's no actual indication that Mihawk and Shanks had multiple duels. There's no reference to it anywhere in the manga.

Indeed, when Whitebeard met Shanks, he referred to just one duel between Shanks and Mihawk:
Insomuch as references are made to Shanks' fight with Mihawk, it's to this lone duel.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010031...ascreener.com/stephen/onepiece/chapter434.txt

No indication whatsoever Mihawk ever beaten shank. The sheer fact there still no direct statements already telling enough.

but ur evidence just subpar, the vivre cards are virtually useless. That material secondary an also often found to be misinformed.

The rest is nothing of actual note, Shank lost his main sword hand. an the world viewed mihawk the strongest. Not wrong, but not technically right either. Overall shank will be the superior combatant

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž

Fair enough.

Regardless, Mihawk being considered in universe to be the superior swordsman suggests that he was the victor.

The sheer fact there still no direct statements already telling enough.
This is a very unambiguous direct statement that Mihawk is the superior swordsman:

but ur evidence just subpar, the vivre cards are virtually useless. That material secondary an also often found to be misinformed.

The rest is nothing of actual note, Shank lost his main sword hand. an the world viewed mihawk the strongest. Not wrong, but not technically right either. Overall shank will be the superior combatant
:pepecopium:

Lets both of us agree that Shanks has super haki. How exactly will he be a superior combatant? What do you really believe is his secret fighting style? Please "super haki beams" is not an answer.
What else would u call, Haki that can be sent out into another body & cause internal damage. Or sending Haki 100 miles away in the form of black lines. Powerful enough to Molest admirals, shanks haters โ€œhaki beamโ€ downplay already taking shape in canon.

The same way u guys โ€œthoughtโ€ that wasnโ€™t an answer back in the day. Until an admiral fell victim to its hype. Next we be mihawk swordsmanship

Fair enough.

Regardless, Mihawk being considered in universe to be the superior swordsman suggests that he was the victor.

This is a very unambiguous direct statement that Mihawk is the superior swordsman:

:pepecopium:
Thatโ€™s after shank lost a arm. Iโ€™ll repeat thereโ€™s no, not even a small indication mihawk ever beaten shank 1-1.
:josad:
Post automatically merged:

Why Shanks asks Mihawk if he came to settle things if Mihawk is the victor?..
Forgot that thread
:cheers:

What else would u call, Haki that can be sent out into another body & cause internal damage. Or sending Haki 100 miles away in the form of black lines. Powerful enough to Molest admirals, shanks haters โ€œhaki beamโ€ downplay already taking shape in canon.

The same way u guys โ€œthoughtโ€ that wasnโ€™t an answer back in the day. Until an admiral fell victim to its hype. Next we be mihawk swordsmanship
I am far from a shanks hater. This scene doesnt indicate that acoc can hurt anybody this way more like that we are here and you need to gtfo.

The last duel was Mihawk's victory or else it's pointless to call Mihawk the World Strongest Swordman if the last time they dueld, Shanks won.
The title makes it clear that Mihawk is the strongest swordman at the moment, so till proven otherwise, his title is still legit, and he's stronger than Shanks. WB didn't have to beat everyone for 20 years to maintain his WSS ttitle, same as Kaido.
Why the fuck did i just type Big Mom instead of Shanks tho

Last edited:

It doesn't mean anything and it definitely doesn't mean Shanks is not a swordsman. Rayliegh has internal destruction haki and he's a swordsman.

Did Shanks defeat the admiral with that attack? No, he didn't. At the most it's a technique used to intimidate opponents or help them create an opening for a sword attack.

I am far from a shanks hater. This scene doesnt indicate that acoc can hurt anybody this way more like that we are here and you need to gtfo.
The scene where Shanks from off an island, nearly 100s of miles away. Breaks an admiral into a cold sweat, doesnโ€™t indicate ACoC beams can hurt anybody?

lmao mihawk truly are something else. So Iโ€™m guess shank doing the same thing in front of greenbull wonโ€™t actually hurt greenbull lmaoโ€ฆ.see u when that debunked lol.

Whyโ€™d u make the first statement, to make this sound less foolish?

Last edited:
it was stated fraudhawk got loss interest fighting shanks when he loss his hands, so that only lead to fact they fought many times, it was not single duel, they fought many times not a single news about who bested the other, and to think that time shanks was just a fcking nobody:suresure::suresure:

farudhawk got mad that shanks think too little of the swordmanship fighting style,
that he can ditch his hands without fear of he will loose his trump card Shanks >>>> fraud hawk tho :cheers:

Thatโ€™s after shank lost a arm. Iโ€™ll repeat thereโ€™s no, not even a small indication mihawk ever beaten shank 1-1.
:josad:
Post automatically merged:

Forgot that thread
:cheers:
Not a small indication that Shanks ever beaten Mihawk 1v1 either, and Mihawk is still the World Strongest Swordman
There's no indication that Whitebeard ever beat Shanks 1v1 either, and Whitebeard is still the World Strongest Man
There's no indication that Kaido ever beat Shanks 1v1 either, and Kaido is still the World Strongest Creature.
:pepehawk:

The last duel was Mihawk's victory or else it's pointless to call Mihawk the World Strongest Swordman if the last time they dueld, Shanks won.
The title makes it clear that Mihawk is the strongest swordman at the moment, so till proven otherwise, his title is still legit, and he's stronger than Big Mom. WB didn't have to beat everyone for 20 years to maintain his WSS ttitle, same as Kaido.
Unless Shanks lost his arm stopped aiming for WSS and Mihawk continued progressing reaching the peak of Swordsmanship by
fighting Marines Swordsmen..

It doesn't mean anything and it definitely doesn't mean Shanks is not a swordsman. Rayliegh has internal destruction haki and he's a swordsman.

Did Shanks defeat the admiral with that attack? No, he didn't. At the most it's a technique used to intimidate opponents or help them create an opening for a sword attack.
If shanks defeated an admiral from 100 miles away youโ€™d have shit ur self literally. Point was mihawk dumbass before it happened wouldโ€™ve claimed it was impossible.
:gokulaugh: