Speculations One Piece is a 3-part story

To kind of preface this, Jump apparently "officially" subdivided the story (so far) into 12 Arcs. So far, 6 are distributed Pre-TS and 6 are in Post- TS

But I've questioned if it's appropriate to split the series this way. We are now nearing what the author calls the "endgame", but the most recent chapter truly suggests we aren't that close to that yet. And if you look into how much territory the first "part" covers, it's actually pretty understandable how that's not possible.

Between the first 6 arcs of One Piece, starting from Grandline, we visit 15 locations before heading to Fishman Island. Early on, the series had reasonably short arcs that could last 10-25 chapters (i.e. many Boroque Works arc islands, Jaya, Long Ring Long Land, and basically every Paramount War island.).

The next 6 arcs were not structured like this, save for Zou. Essentially, the other 5 arcs, which includes the midpoint Fishman Island, were all 50+ chapters long, with DR, WCI, and Wano being way longer than basically any other individual arc in the series.

So this kind of gives Oda a conundrum, because progress in Paradise was easy to measure. The crew, geographically, traveled a ton, while in the NW, they realistically cant be more than half way since they've only, truly traveled through to 5 islands (you can't really count FI, it's a midpoint). Compare that to the current 15 locations Paradise has. Even better, subtract out Enies Lobby, Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford as locations out of the way, and you are left with 11, 10 if you don't also count something like Reverse Mountain/Laboon. Let's call it an even 10.

Now, 10 in Paradise, so far 5 in New World. And even, then you have to suspend disbelief that Zou and WCI also count towards forward progress in the Journey. Can Oda actually equate this with the New World? I believe the answer is 100% yes!

See, now we are at Egghead, the "6th" island marked on this progress. Egghead is already teasing us potentially visiting Fullalead to deal with the Koby/Blackbeard situation. Elbaf has already been heavily teased and is basically guaranteed to happen. That's so far 8, leaving, imo Lodestar and Laugh Tale. Now while Lodestar is the physical end of New World, Laugh Tale is technically the final island of the journey. Now, if you don't count Laugh Tale, it's possible Oda throws yet another island in here somewhere....or he doesn't lol.

Maybe the above is already too much, but I can see now that One Piece may be officially split into 3rds as an 18 part story. Each part culminates into a big conflict. The Summit War, Wano's Raid, and the Final War.

Part 1:

- East Blue
- Alabasta
- Skypiea
- Water 7- Enies Lobby
- Thriller Bark
- Summit War

Part 2:

- Fishman Island
- Punk Hazard
- Dressrosa
- Zou
- Whole Cake Island
- Wano

Part 3:

- Egghead
- Fullalead
- Elbaf
- Lodestar
- Laugh Tale
- The Final/Throne War

Imo, this is how the last part will be structured. And no, that's not to say these parts are of equal length. Part 1 is 600 chapters. Part 2 is 450. Part 3 may not be as long as the rest, or maybe it will be lol.

But this has been a thought I've had for a while, where it never felt like the series could be realistically split into 2 halves. I do not think, realistically you can justify getting to the end of the New World in less than 3 islands without entirely suspending your disbelief in how much the crew has traveled.

Anyway, this is what I think is left. Don't want to argue about content, each of these could be argued to death about they contain or not (i.e. Vegapunk also being a moon arc and Luffy fighting an Admiral or Vegapunk himself, etc).

Some tags:

Last edited:
To kind of preface this, Jump apparently "officially" subdivided the story (so far) into 12 Arcs. So far, 6 are distributed Pre-TS and 6 are in Post- TS

But I've questioned if it's appropriate to split the series this way. We are now nearing what the author calls the "endgame", but the most recent chapter truly suggests we aren't that close to that yet. And understandably, if you look into how much territory the first "part" covers, it's actually pretty understandable how that's not possible.

Between the first 6 arcs of One Piece, starting from Grandline, we visit 15 locations before heading to Fishman Island. Early on, the series had reasonably short arcs that could last 10-25 chapters (i.e. many Boroque Works arc islands, Jaya, Long Ring Long Land, and basically every Paramount War island.).

The next 6 arcs were not structured like this, save for Zou. Essentially, the other 5 arcs, which includes the midpoint Fishman Island, were all 50+ chapters long, with DR, WCI, and Wano being way longer than basically any other individual arc in the series.

So this kind of gives Oda a conundrum, because progress in Paradise was easy to measure. The crew, geographically, traveled a ton, while in the NW, they realistically cant be more than half way since they've only, truly traveled through to 5 islands (you can't really count FI, it's a midpoint). Compare that to the current 14 locations Paradise has. Even better, subtract out Enies Lobby, Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford as locations out of the way, and you are left with 11, 10 if you don't also count something like Reverse Mountain/Laboon. Let's call if an even 10.

Now, 10 in Paradise, so far 5 in New World. And even, then you have to suspend belief that Zou and WCI also count towards forward progress in the Journey. Can Oda actually equate this with the New World? I believe the answer is 100% yes!

See, now we are at Egghead, the "6th" island marked on this progress. Egghead is already teasing us potentially visiting Fullalead to deal with the Koby/Blackbeard situation. Elbaf has already been heavily teased and is basically guaranteed to happen. That's so far 8, leaving, imo Lodestar and Laugh Tale. Now while Lodestar is the physical end of New World, Laugh Tale is technically the final island of the journey. Now, if you don't count Laugh Tale, it's possible Oda throws yet another island in here somewhere....or he doesn't lol.

Maybe the above is already too much, but I can see now that One Piece may be officially split into 3rds as an 18 part story. Each part culminates into a big conflict. The Summit War, Wano's War, and the Final War.

Part 1
- East Blue
- Alabasta
- Skypiea
- Water 7- Enies Lobby
- Thriller Bark
- Summit War

Part 2:
- Fishman Island
- Punk Hazard
- Dressrosa
- Zou
- Whole Cake Island
- Wano

Part 3:

- Egghead
- Fullalead
- Elbaf
- Lodestar
- Laugh Tale
- The Final/Throne War

Imo, this is how the last part will be structured. And no, that's not to say these parts are of equal length. Part 1 is 600 chapters. Part 2 is 450. Part 3 may not be as long as the rest, or maybe it will be lol.

But this has been a thought I've had for a while, where it never felt like the series could be realistically split into 2 halves. I do not think, realistically you can justify getting to the end of the New World in less than 3 islands without entirely suspending you disbelief in how much the crew has traveled.

Anyway, this is what I think is left. Don't want to argue about content, each of these could be argued to death about they contain or not (i.e. Vegapunk also being a moon arc and Luffy fighting an Admiral or Vegapunk himself, etc).

Some tags:

Punk Hazard and Egghead are the only NW islands that the SHs naturally stumbled upon by following their log pose. They were guided to the other islands by other characters, ignoring their log poses, so the SHs easily could have skipped plenty of islands that they otherwise would have had to stop by because of their log poses. In Paradise, they stumbled upon pretty much every island up to Sabaody by following their log pose (with the exception of Alabasta, which they had an eternal log pose for).

Islands like WCI, Wano, Egghead, and Elbaf should be pretty far into the NW since the first two are Yonko headquarters, Egghead is the headquarter of another Yonko level threat in Vegapunk, and Elbaf is the home of the mightiest nation

Punk Hazard and Egghead are the only NW islands that the SHs naturally stumbled upon by following their log pose. They were guided to the other islands by other characters, ignoring their log poses, so the SHs easily could have skipped plenty of islands that they otherwise would have had to stop by because of their log poses. In Paradise, they stumbled upon pretty much every island up to Sabaody by following their log pose (with the exception of Alabasta, which they had an eternal log pose for).

Islands like WCI, Wano, Egghead, and Elbaf should be pretty far into the NW since the first two are Yonko headquarters, Egghead is the headquarter of another Yonko level threat in Vegapunk, and Elbaf is the home of the mightiest nation
Well... yes they are pretty far onto the NW. WCI and Wano are probably, justifiably, close to half way. If we have Egghead, Fullalead and Elbaf left, then its understandable.

An interesting read! If we take into consideration that we have 6 more arcs to get through (counting Egghead), how long do you think it will take for One Piece to end?

Wano took an astonishing 4 YEARS to end (Chapter 909, July 2, 2018 - Chapter 1057, August 22, 2022), and some islands that are expected to be visited have the potential to be just as long or close to it.

I can see One Piece going on for 5-7 more years easily, and this is if we don't get another Wano length arc.

But I've questioned if it's appropriate to split the series this way. We are now nearing what the author calls the "endgame", but the most recent chapter truly suggests we aren't that close to that yet. And if you look into how much territory the first "part" covers, it's actually pretty understandable how that's not possible.

So this kind of gives Oda a conundrum, because progress in Paradise was easy to measure. The crew, geographically, traveled a ton, while in the NW, they realistically cant be more than half way since they've only, truly traveled through to 5 islands (you can't really count FI, it's a midpoint). Compare that to the current 14 locations Paradise has. Even better, subtract out Enies Lobby, Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford as locations out of the way, and you are left with 11, 10 if you don't also count something like Reverse Mountain/Laboon. Let's call it an even 10.

Now, 10 in Paradise, so far 5 in New World. And even, then you have to suspend disbelief that Zou and WCI also count towards forward progress in the Journey. Can Oda actually equate this with the New World? I believe the answer is 100% yes!

Maybe the above is already too much, but I can see now that One Piece may be officially split into 3rds as an 18 part story. Each part culminates into a big conflict. The Summit War, Wano's Raid, and the Final War.

Part 1
- East Blue
- Alabasta
- Skypiea
- Water 7- Enies Lobby
- Thriller Bark
- Summit War

Part 2:
- Fishman Island
- Punk Hazard
- Dressrosa
- Zou
- Whole Cake Island
- Wano

Part 3:

- Egghead
- Fullalead
- Elbaf
- Lodestar
- Laugh Tale
- The Final/Throne War

But this has been a thought I've had for a while, where it never felt like the series could be realistically split into 2 halves. I do not think, realistically you can justify getting to the end of the New World in less than 3 islands without entirely suspending your disbelief in how much the crew has traveled.

Some tags:

yep,sounds like we are on the final part of the story.

An interesting read! If we take into consideration that we have 6 more arcs to get through (counting Egghead), how long do you think it will take for One Piece to end?

Wano took an astonishing 4 YEARS to end (Chapter 909, July 2, 2018 - Chapter 1057, August 22, 2022), and some islands that are expected to be visited have the potential to be just as long or close to it.

I can see One Piece going on for 5-7 more years easily, and this is if we don't get another Wano length arc.
I agree. I don't expect anything close to that arc length again outside of the final war. I'm hoping none of these arcs cross the 70-80 chapter mark unless they need to. I also assume Lodestar and/or Laugh Tale would be short, but who honestly knows. They could have their own respective antagonists.

My guess is still 8-10 years, but only because I think the final war will be long like Wano unintentionally.

Well... yes they are pretty far onto the NW. WCI and Wano are probably, justifiably, close to half way. If we have Egghead, Fullalead and Elbaf left, then its understandable.
I think Wano is probably more like 70% of the way into the NW. I would assume every Yonko has their HQ set up near the end of the NW. The only important islands further into the NW than Wano are probably just Hachinosu, Elbaf, and Lodestar

I agree. I don't expect anything close to that arc length again outside of the final war. I'm hoping none of these arcs cross the 70-80 chapter mark unless they need to. I also assume Lodestar and/or Laugh Tale would be short, but who honestly knows. They could have their own respective antagonists.

My guess is still 8-10 years, but only because I think the final war will be long like Wano unintentionally.
As long as the Final War does not have Wano's shit-tier writing, I am okay with it being a long arc, tbh.

I don't understand the premise of this thread? Is it trying to justify Oda's 25 year length manga by saying, "look here are 6 sagas, therefore it is only natural that there are at least 6 more sagas before it ends"?

I don't understand the premise of this thread? Is it trying to justify Oda's 25 year length manga by saying, "look here are 6 sagas, therefore it is only natural that there are at least 6 more sagas before it ends"?
Good, you don't need to understand and no it's not
Post automatically merged:

If Punk Hazard counts as a separate saga, so should Whiskey Peak and Little Garden.
The point is the official Shueisha designation does not do this. Even Zou, while short, is still decently longer than both of those arcs. Post-TS just operates differently with arc length I guess.

I agree.

We still have 340 or 440 (more like 440...) chapters to go and the order of the Islands sounds right:
1. Egghead
2. Fullalead
3. Elbaf
4. Lodestar
5. Laugh Tale
Then, the Final War.

But imo could be possible that Fullalead and Elbaf switch with one another too.

How the fuck is Zou a "saga"?
:kaidowhat:

Btw, does it mean we are....on the......
A-C-T 3 of the story?????
:funky:
Not sure but I can semi see why. The structure of post TS arcs didn't involve moving from island to island nearly as much. But yeah, its funny that Zou is considered its own thing while Long Ring Long Land isn't and is part of Enies Lobby lol

I agree.

We still have 340 or 440 (more like 440...) chapters to go and the order of the Islands sounds right:
1. Egghead
2. Fullalead
3. Elbaf
4. Lodestar
5. Laugh Tale
Then, the Final War.

But imo could be possible that Fullalead and Elbaf switch with one another too.
Definitely wouldn't complain lol, but it took Oda 12 years or so to do 450 chapters post TS and what I'm calling "Part 2" (and back then up until mid-DR he had basically a no break schedule. Then halfway through that he got sick and it started.)

I think, personally, it's closer to 300, but that's only if he can tightly pace the next 2-3 arcs to 1.5-2 years each at most (which is like 60-80 chapters).

I guess we'll see how long Egghead actually is and where we actually go next. If the pacing doesn't change all that much, then I agree. Luckily there are just less characters to deal with, so hopefully he can move along efficiently.
Post automatically merged:

I can't see Blackbeard defeated before Lodestar.
It's possible Fullalead doesn't lead to his defeat, sort of like how WCI didn't actually remove BM from the story either.

I personally think it's possible, but it would go against some major plotwork setup for Teach. He doesn't have to be the final antagonist, but I feel like his defeat makes far more sense being closer to One Piece or during the Final War as a major player.

However, I'm questioning how many antagonists Oda will stack to the endgame, so maybe he wants to remove a few and only leave characters like Akainu and Im to deal with by then. I have no idea what will happen to Shanks and BB before this point tbh, maybe they survive past Laugh Tale, maybe they don't. Even Egghead maybe "remove" Vegapunk from the endgame plot depending on what's done here.