Questions & Mysteries Who is Zoro's final opponent?

Who's the strongest swordsman who will get slashed by Zoro at series end?

• Shanks

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Kizaru

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Fujitora

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Big mom

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Samurai Ghandi (Gorosei)

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Imu (Coz he has that sword)

• Vista

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Law

• Shiriyu

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • King

• Jack

• Ashura Douji

• Kin'emon

• Smoothie

• Cracker

• Who's who

• Brook

• Whitebeard's corpse with his Bisento with Shank's shadow

• Tashigi

• Commander Shu (the one who rusted his sword)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Orochi

• That one other Red hair pirate with a sword

• Rayleigh and Scooper Gaban team up and together they are the WSS

• Killer

• Total voters
Shut this thread down? TF?

Because you Brought up your meme "pure swordsman" bullshit that you can never actually make a point for, you're getting butthurt that I didn't let your Continue your meme argument

Fuckin dumb shit like this is why I love this forum. People arguing in memes then getting that they gave no points to make so they get pissed that their meme isn't an actual point
pure
/pyo͝or/

without any extraneous and unnecessary elements.

- we know that Mihawk hasn't challenged Big Mom, a high tier character who uses a sword. For whatever reason we also saw him avoid stepping up when Shanks offered. So he clearly has standards. He once expressed disappointment that Zoro appeared to fall beneath them, to be the kind of man to give him the fight he wants.

meme
/mēm/

a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc., that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.

- this doesn't qualify as a definition for a situation where you object to the particular use of a word introduced by a single individual that even they tell you is beside your own topic. You have no storytelling guarantee that Mihawk will stay where he is, so you argue something else. Take me using the word "pure" out of the equation and there is no basis for your post.

This doesn't even slightly compare to the Baratie arc.

Krieg was a small time pirate that Luffy was perfectly capable of dealing with entirely by himself. This was also pre-character development Zoro we're talking about- the Mihawk fight is literally what changes his character around and sets him on the path of putting Luffy's dream above his own, leading to the Thriller Bark sacrifice and him begging Mihawk for training.

We're talking about the final war here. Everything that One Piece has led up to. In-series, nine hundred years of history leading up to this moment. Out-series, thirty years worth of writing.

And you guys are suggesting that Zoro abandons his crew in the middle of it for a fight against a man that has literally nothing to this great war. A guy who's been a positive influence on Zoro's life, trained him for two years.

Absolutely no chance.

It would be like having the walk to Arlong Park... then Zoro bolts halfway to fight someone with nothing to do with Arlong or Nami. Or him leaving Robin to her fate in EL cause there was a better swordsman than Kaku out there for him to fight. It's antithetical to everything Zoro has become as the series developed.
I know Luffy could deal with Don, however, it doesn't take away from the fact that Zoro fought against Mihawk who was not part of Don's crew.
Your argument was that it was impossible and would never happen. I just showed it did happen.

I do believe Zoro will defeat Mihawk for the wss title.
Zoro and Mihawk promised to meet each other at the top and fight each other.
If Oda doesn't make Zoro himself defeat Mihawk, it will just end up like another Zoro vs Kuina, where they promised each other to meet at the top and via for wss.
  1. Zoro promises to defeat X (Kuina), Oda takes out x (Kuina) before Zoro can defeat x (Kuina) and replaces x (Kuina) with y (Mihawk) who is stronger than x (Kuina).
  2. Zoro promises to defeat X (Mihawk), Oda takes out x (Mihawk) before Zoro can defeat x (Mihawk) and replaces x (Mihawk) with y (?) who is stronger than x (Mihawk).
  3. Rinse and repeat
That will not be good writing imo.

I do believe Zoro will defeat Mihawk for the wss title.
Zoro and Mihawk promised to meet each other at the top and fight each other.
If Oda doesn't make Zoro himself defeat Mihawk, it will just end up like another Zoro vs Kuina, where they promised each other to meet at the top and via for wss.
  1. Zoro promises to defeat X (Kuina), Oda takes out x (Kuina) before Zoro can defeat x (Kuina) and replaces x (Kuina) with y (Mihawk) who is stronger than x (Kuina).
  2. Zoro promises to defeat X (Mihawk), Oda takes out x (Mihawk) before Zoro can defeat x (Mihawk) and replaces x (Mihawk) with y (?) who is stronger than x (Mihawk).
  3. Rinse and repeat
That will not be good writing imo.
I respect this kind of opinion. Don't agree, but respect.

Either way, I hope we do get to see Mihawk truly going all out one day, against whoever.

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
Yeah. What has me slightly worried is that there are SO MANY badass characters set up, that Oda might not have time to show it all. Someone is bound to be simply left to our imagination.
I really hope that someone as prominent as the Grandgrandmaster Mihawk won't be left biting the dust : P

His role in the story is particularly important, so important he is almost a main character

To the people that 100% believe it can be no one but mihawk
When and where do you see it talking place?

I just personally cant see zoro fighting mihawk while everyone else is helping take down teach or imu. So idk

The only 2 ways it makes sense to me is if
@Paperchampion23 is right about shanks and mihawk being the final hurdle (tho i dont personally think itll happen no offense)
Hey maybe all the memes about him being mihawk being related to imu are true. And zoro fights him instead of ghandi

To the people that 100% believe it can be no one but mihawk
When and where do you see it talking place?

I just personally cant see zoro fighting mihawk while everyone else is helping take down teach or imu. So idk

The only 2 ways it makes sense to me is if
@Paperchampion23 is right about shanks and mihawk being the final hurdle (tho i dont personally think itll happen no offense)
Hey maybe all the memes about him being mihawk being related to imu are true. And zoro fights him instead of ghandi
I believe Zoro will only go for the WSS title after Luffy is pk.
The reason I say this is due to the panel below where Zoro said if he can't protect his captain's dream then his ambition to be wss is pointless.

So I see it as Zoro first making sure Luffy becomes pk, fights the final war then afterwards goes for his dream to become wss.

Mihawk asked Zoro to accomplish 3 things:
  1. know himself. I believe this is linked to his backstory and what he holds dear to him. (One of the ways he learnt about himself is when he had to beg Mihawk to train him. )
  2. know the world. This will be accomplished once he sails all the oceans with Luffy and after Luffy becomes the pk. They are slowly learning the world as they go on the adventure. We know Roger as pk is the man that sailed the entire world.
  3. become stronger. This will be accomplished once Zoro accomlishes the 2 aforementioned requirements. He will sail around fighting stronger opponents and learning about himself and the world

Mihawk also stated that he will wait for Zoro at the top and at peak strength irrespective of how long it takes. So for this reason I also believe Zoro will first accomplish everything that is requrired for Luffy to accomplish his dream then go to face Mihawk

The reason I say this is due to the panel below where Zoro said if he can't protect his captain's dream then his ambition to be wss is pointless.

So I see it as Zoro first making sure Luffy becomes pk, fights the final war then afterwards goes for his dream to become wss.

Mihawk asked Zoro to accomplish 3 things:
  1. know himself. I believe this is linked to his backstory and what he holds dear to him. (One of the ways he learnt about himself is when he had to beg Mihawk to train him. )
  2. know the world. This will be accomplished once he sails all the oceans with Luffy and after Luffy becomes the pk. They are slowly learning the world as they go on the adventure. We know Roger as pk is the man that sailed the entire world.
  3. become stronger. This will be accomplished once Zoro accomlishes the 2 aforementioned requirements. He will sail around fighting stronger opponents and learning about himself and the world

Mihawk also stated that he will wait for Zoro at the top and at peak strength irrespective of how long it takes. So for this reason I also believe Zoro will first accomplish everything that is requrired for Luffy to accomplish his dream then go to face Mihawk
Its possible for him to become wss after luffy becomes pirate king imo
But i very much doubt zoro will have the final fight

Going from luffy vs teach/imu world changing and defining battles to just end it on zoro vs mihawk makes no sense to me
And is honestly pretty underwhelming

Last edited:
I agree, and he clearly stated many times that everything is pointless if he can't even help his captain.

But the complicated point is: if all of this is true, then he simply won't fight Mihawk. Because I don't see the story going from Luffy becoming pirate king, and them being the most infamous crew in the world -> to a Zoro vs Mihawk.

Maybe at the end as a flash forward to all the characters in the future - mangaka do this a lot. But as a full fledged battle...? I don't think so. What would the others be doing, sipping cocktails?

I could imagine an ending with "Zoro became known as the world's strongest swordsman after infamous crash with Mihawk at xx island, where Mihawk acknowledged him"

Past swordsman like roger are not necessarily included though.
why the fuck not?

if his dream was to be

- over all stronger than
- any swordsman who ever lived

why the fuck Roger should not be in the line?

at least be a good troll and lose all your credit by saying Prime Zoro > Gold Mother Fucking Roger

p.s

it's Zoro fandom who think dream is about anything but sword skill ... a shit like reaching black blade ...

why the fuck not?

if his dream was to be

- over all stronger than
- any swordsman who ever lived

why the fuck Roger should not be in the line?

at least be a good troll and lose all your credit by saying Prime Zoro > Gold Mother Fucking Roger
Because in the raw zoro does not say "strongest ever" but just "strongest" according to denden iirc.

If the "ever" is not actually included, then past swordsmen arent either.

Maybe you should stop being a troll in general. Though you dont have any credibility to lose anymore, so fuck it, i guess.

Truth is we don't know that much about Mihawk either. He's very whimsical and self-centered, but why did he work for the government in the first place? To chill in his castle undisturbed? At times he's bored, at others he doesn't want to fight.

He's peculiar, so he just might join an enemy (?) crew to not have to evade the government alone. In this ~ unlikely ~ case Zoro would have to face him.

Because in the raw zoro does not say "strongest ever" but just "strongest" according to denden iirc.

If the "ever" is not actually included, then past swordsmen arent either.

Maybe you should stop being a troll in general. Though you dont have any credibility to lose anymore, so fuck it, i guess.
can you bring the panel from Viz ... when Zoro is shouting his dream about being greatest ?

Just to me, the hype behind Ghandi or Shiryu are entirely secondary to Mihawk. They aren't pitched or idealized to be the strongest Swordsmen. Another thing is this idea that Blackbeard and his crew will kill off the Red Hair Pirates. To me it's entirely redundant. They killed Whitebeard and stole his greatest asset. They forced the WB pirates to disband. They essentially killed Ace. For them to do it again to Luffy and Zoro's final goals essentially would feel super redundant. It's also a mega cliche to have evil villain kill protagonists mentor towards the end of the series. This happens in many fictional stories and tbh I hope Oda is better than this.

Honestly, there are two things that I'm waiting for:

- Mihawk to meetup with Shanks and stick with him either throughout or during the final war (because he believes Zoro is getting close to the top). We also need to know more of his past.

- More about Shanks, who he is, and his past. I don't think he's evil, but I don't think he's Luffy's guiding key either. Something fishy was going on the moment he met with the Gorosei.

Just my opinion, but that last one is a mega red flag I think we all need to pay attention to