Speculations Zoro vs Kizaru and Sanji vs Ryokugyu: The Best Matchups

Out of the many different admiral matchups I’ve seen, the two most popular have been Zoro vs Fuji/Sanji vs Kizaru, and Zoro vs Kizaru/Sanji vs Ryokugyu. While this topic has been a bit beaten to death, I’d like to share my take on it.

Personally, I think that Zoro vs Fuji & Sanji vs Kizaru are both shallow connections. The only similarity is that they have similar fighting styles: Zoro/Fujitora are both swordsmen and Sanji/Kizaru are both speedy fighters with strong kicks. Zoro & Fujitora also share an honorable nature, but the same cannot be said for Sanji & Kizaru. Another thing to note is that Kizaru is more of an well rounded fighter, who utilizes projectiles, swordsmanship, and martial arts (including rokushiki).

While mirror matchups can be interesting (Luffy vs Katakuri), I don’t think they need to be overdone or take precedence over stronger themes. In Wano, we saw that Zoro was actually the one matched up against the flying speedster with fire attacks, while Sanji was matched with the slower and tanky powerhouse. Sanji and King were compared twice, which I think was on purpose. You are free to believe otherwise, but I think the theme here was to have Zoro fight a character similar to Sanji, while Sanji simultaneously surpassed that character by using what’s central to him: his passion. King even commented to Zoro that humans cannot surpass someone of his race, and Zoro showed him the strength of pure willpower and tenacity.

I think the pattern of Zoro fighting a character with a fighting style similar to Sanji will persist, with this time having Sanji fight a character with a fighting style similar to Zoro. What I’m expecting is for Sanji to fight the green admiral, while Zoro fights the yellow admiral. Sanji will also undoubtedly surpass Kizaru, as expected of Zoro’s rival.

Sanji also calls Zoro “marimo” or moss head in English, and Ryokugyu is the admiral that wields the power of nature. It’s also interesting that Ryokugyu was introduced with a sheathless sword that looks to me like a black blade. It would be awesome to see Zoro and Sanji defeat admirals that just can’t compare to the comrade that they fight alongside.

Obviously though, I can’t go off of only the relationship they have with each other. These two admirals must challenge the wings thematically. It seems that Kizaru is the unspoken right hand of Akainu, as they have had the longest working relationship as admirals together. They are also often pictured together. Another pattern that many readers have picked up on is that Kizaru has been matched up with various right hand men: Rayleigh, Marco, Ben, and has almost Killed Zoro before. Was it a coincidence that Dark King Rayleigh was the one to save King of Hell Zoro from Kizaru?

Kizaru’s ability is light, yet he is the admiral with “unclear justice.” He seems to be the ultimate emotionless weapon for the marines to count on, as he has no qualms with whatever task he has been given. Zoro on the other hand always has dark and hellish motifs, being called a demon and even using the ability “asura” which is based on this side of him. Unlike Kizaru though, he upholds principles that he believes in, and is a conqueror alongside his captain. This will essentially expand on where Zoro vs King left off, where we see the true power of being the right hand of the pirate king. Zoro often fights opponents that are cold, calculated, or emotionless in nature. Daz Bones played it cool, unlike the flamboyant Bon Clay. Kaku was very analytical in his fighting style, whereas Jabra was more of a hothead who was in over his head. King and Queen further continue this trend. While people make the case for Kizaru being sort of goofy, it’s more like Kaku where their true nature is guised behind what seems to be a lighthearted character. Zoro also usually can’t hit his opponent, due to either their durability or their overwhelming fighting style. Someone fast like Kizaru who spams all sorts of light attacks would be the perfect challenge. This could very well be where we see King of Hell Asura, to break through such a perfect defense (Nik gave me this idea). Zoro would already have the attack potency to take down an opponent like Ryokugyu, by the time he fights Kizaru. Zoro's battles always prove to give him a physical challenge that tests his resolve, so I wonder just how far he will be pushed to the brink...

Ever since Ryokugyu’s introduction, people have compared him to Sanji. He mentioned that he hadn’t eaten for three years, but might change that if a pretty woman wanted to feed him.

This was an obvious nod to our favourite cook, who creates dishes for anyone in need (even his enemies), and loves to impress pretty women. Ryokugyu has a devil fruit that embodies nature itself, and it’s interesting that he survives off of it. While Ryokugyu constantly steals the nutrients of others, Sanji is a man that provides it. Sanji is also very selfless, while Ryokugyu is fine with oppressing anyone to preserve the current hierarchy. As well, all of Sanji’s opponents have been overly emotional, in comparison to Zoro’s. Ryokugyu is probably the most annoying admiral to date, and is extremely reactionary. Sanji always puts these crass individuals in their place, utilizing his own emotions as power. Another thing to note is that like Zoro, Sanji’s main struggle comes from being unable to damage his opponents. While Sanji would likely have the speed to keep up with an opponent like Kizaru, his struggle will be breaking through Ryokugyu’s forest durability. Oda had Raizo attack him with a powerful fire attack, to plant the seed that fire is NOT a weakness for him. Sanji will have to come up with something that has even more firepower than Ifrit to take him down.

Sanji's battle will also likely come with an emotional struggle, such as protecting an individual he cares deeply for (Nami or Robin perhaps). Imagine he makes his leg so hot that it surpasses what his body can handle, and he loses one like Zeff. A kind & selfless man carrying the same will as his honourary father.

The wings of the Pirate King will surely take down the strongest soldiers of the marine HQ!
Post automatically merged:

Tags: @Franosuke @Blexus @ConquistadoR @Indigo @Jailer @kratosś @mly90 @Shiroyru @ThunderSupernova @Warchief Sanji D Goat @zenox @BleakAsh @Admiral Maynard @Jaguark101 @Natalija @Kerkovian @Kurozumi Bepo @NikaInParis @nik87 @God W. Usopp @The White Crane @RoronoaZorro @Salah WG

Did I write too much...? :josad:

Last edited:
1. i dont even think the monster trio is gonna fight the admirals eos
2. i agree with ur point that being similar in fighting style doesnt mean the matchups will always happen with that , kizaru for me is just an upgraded version of king , he is a hybrid fighter who uses everything in his arsenal and has various fighting styles
but if we are gonna actually make the strawhats fight admirals and if its gonna include fujitora , then zoro is 100% fighting fujitora cause he always fights the swordsman of the enemy .
ngl but i think fuji in the end will take more of the strawhat's side than the marines , fuji is a character who is not introduced just for fights , he has a greater role in the story .
i will take fuji out of the ' which admiral the M3 will fight ' question .
and if the M3 fight admirals
then its def gonna be
luffy vs akainu
zoro vs kizaru
sanji vs greenbul

sanji mostly always takes the clown opponents and we saw how much of a clown greenbul became in wano .
i dont think oda intended zoro to fight king just cause king is a little bit similar to sanji ( note : he isnt )

flames and kicks are a part of king's arsenal but just how many times did king even try something like diable jambe
once ? i guess
but i think oda did try to portray king as the superior version of sanji , king is the complete opposite of sanji since he doesnt believe in something like honour , all he wants to do is win with any means .
and how sanji was questioned to be a lunarian from queen .

" with Sanji fighting a character with a fighting style similar to Zoro "
i think this is completely false , queen is in no freakin way similar to zoro in fighting style and neither is greenbul or even kizaru
- i dont think that broccoli has a blackblade
- i also dont think kizaru is the right hand of akainu , kizaru stands shoulder to shoulder with sakazuki
if they fight then they will go extreme diff , their fight is even gonna be closer than aokiji vs akainu for me

- i think greenbul is sort of more goofy than kizaru in personality and ofc there is that food matchup

- for me zoro is obv gonna get a coo upgrade in the future , so fighting with kizaru can enable that.
i think he will do that against shiryu tho

- i think that if zoro has trouble dealing with kizaru due to his speed , then sanji will too .
- boro breath did take down greenbul's form , ifrit has enough fire power to do the same .

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
I agree.
Zoro vs Kizaru & Sanji vs Ryokogyu seems like the set up to me.

Imo, Final Arc will be like Skypeia with Imu taking the place of the False God instead of Enel.
And in Skypeia, Zoro fought a Light User (Braham) before fighting one of the Priests of the False God (Ohm).
Similarily, i expect Zoro to beat Light User (Kizaru) before fighting and beating one of the Priests of the False God (Gandhi Gorosei).

Sanji won't beat an Emperor level character solo because Zoro's last hurdle is Mihawk.

Since Oda favors Zoro and Sanji's dream isn't force related, it'll be unfair if Sanji also beat an Emperor level enemy.

If anything Oda will double down on shitting Sanji by making him fight Crocodile in the end battle.

As much as i like to see Sanji destrotying Green bulls black blade, still prefer Sanji surpassing Kizarus speed.

As much as i like to see Zoro cleaning Green bulls plant like a gardener, still prefer him fighting Fuji a legit sworsmen.

Zoros goal is not to cut anything but become worlds most skilled swordsmen so if there is a sword user he should fight with him. If someone has a sword then he is Zoros opponent.

Shamelessly trying to steal Sanjis match just because Swordsmen suck is not cool, if you don't like swords just be a Sanji fan.:beckmoji:

Sanji won't beat an Emperor level character solo because Zoro's last hurdle is Mihawk.

Since Oda favors Zoro and Sanji's dream isn't force related, it'll be unfair if Sanji also beat an Emperor level enemy.

If anything Oda will double down on shitting Sanji by making him fight Crocodile in the end battle.
I mean it's as simple as the admirals being weaker than the yonko, and Sanji's dream not being fighting related has never stopped him from keeping up with Zoro's opponents. I don't think the admirals are gonna have CoC.

Admirals neg YC1, zoro and sanji gonna need major power ups to beat admirals.

As it stands now: Kizaru rapes zoro while ryokugyu rapes sanji.
This is about future match ups, not current.

I agree.
Zoro vs Kizaru & Sanji vs Ryokogyu seems like the set up to me.

Imo, Final Arc will be like Skypeia with Imu taking the place of the False God instead of Enel.
And in Skypeia, Zoro fought a Light User (Braham) before fighting one of the Priests of the False God (Ohm).
Similarily, i expect Zoro to beat Light User (Kizaru) before fighting and beating one of the Priests of the False God (Gandhi Gorosei).
That's a really good idea.

" with Sanji fighting a character with a fighting style similar to Zoro "
i think this is completely false , queen is in no freakin way similar to zoro in fighting style and neither is greenbul or even kizaru
I meant that time we would see Sanji fighting a character that fights similar to Zoro (gb is a swordsman). I wasn't talking about Queen. 😂

Also I already explained that while Kizaru has some similarities to Sanji, he's a well rounded fighter that uses many different abilities. Naturally, the same can be said about King. I called them "similar" because they are fast and disappear, fly, have a durability ability. And utilize fire attacks.

Last edited: