General & Others What was the first moment that made you love One Piece ?

Funnily enough, I was browsing through YouTube some day several years ago when I came across a video called “Top 10 bad ass old men in anime” by some random YouTuber that I cannot remember.

The list showed some clips of a few fairly cool looking old blokes. None of them stood out at the time. None of them, except for this absolute magnificent unit.

As soon as this walking mountain appeared on screen, my interest was piqued. Looking up clips for this “Whitebeard”, I came across this glorious scene.
Even after so many years, this scene still plasters a grin across my face. :steef:

Seeing that scene sealed the deal and I decided “Yeah, I should try out this One Piece thing” and here I am now.
As a number 1 Whitebeard fanboy myself I approved of this:cheers:I got goosebump every time I watched that scene LOL.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I can't exactly pinpoint when, but the period between the end of Baratie to when Vivi joined was always a section of the story I really enjoyed. Imo, crew interactions and dynamics were at their best around that time. And the transitionary phase which occurred around Logue Town and Reverse Mountain was insanely exciting due to how massively built up the Grandline was at that point, and all our heroes were big dreamers, so the stakes felt real.

But one example of what made me love One Piece was Nami's background and arc during Arlong Park. Bellemere's story of adopting Nami and Nojiko, caring for them, genuine back and forth, the dilemma which come from being a step family, it all felt so deeply human to me. And not in a romanticized or overly dramatic fashion, just real.

Luffy and the others coming to Nami's defense, to save her from the emotional torment she's had to endure struck an enormous cord in me. That time when Luffy smashed up her map room, which represented her years of suffering, was so poignant. It convinced me the Strawhats were a very special group of protagonists. That basically formed the basis of my love of the series, and it's only grown from there.

Some other shout outs go to Shanks giving Luffy his hat, Zoro vowing to never lose again, Sanji thanking Zeff, and the crew sailing out to the Grandline also come to mind as moments that cemented my love for the series.

I can't exactly pinpoint when, but the period between the end of Baratie to when Vivi joined was always a section of the story I really enjoyed. Imo, crew interactions and dynamics were at their best around that time. And the transitionary phase which occurred around Logue Town and Reverse Mountain was insanely exciting due to how massively built up the Grandline was at that point, and all our heroes were big dreamers, so the stakes felt real.

But one example of what made me love One Piece was Nami's background and arc during Arlong Park. Bellemere's story of adopting Nami and Nojiko, caring for them, genuine back and forth, the dilemma which come from being a step family, it all felt so deeply human to me. And not in a romanticized or overly dramatic fashion, just real.

Luffy and the others coming to Nami's defense, to save her from the emotional torment she's had to endure struck an enormous cord in me. That time when Luffy smashed up her map room, which represented her years of suffering, was so poignant. It convinced me the Strawhats were a very special group of protagonists. That basically formed the basis of my love of the series, and it's only grown from there.

Some other shout outs go to Shanks giving Luffy his hat, Zoro vowing to never lose again, Sanji thanking Zeff, and the crew sailing out to the Grandline also come to mind as moments that cemented my love for the series.
Couldn’t have said it better, my friend :endthis:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
I was familiar with the early manga from watching 4kids a decade earlier, so I wasn't blown away or anything when I read the manga for the first time. It was entertaining but that was it. Outright hated Sanji for awhile when reading Bariatie. But Arlong Park and Nami stabbing herself in the shoulder over and over again and then the Straw Hats vs the Arlong Pirates won me over.

S

Shura

You know I dropped one piece after watching the first 15 episodes....I felt series is extremely overrated....basically I was Naruto junkie.....after finishing all the main stream series....I started watching again ......and then this Luffy put hat on Nami happened which made me fan of Luffy and One piece .....that moment is one of the badass moments of One piece...top 10

I am new to one piece, i started watching OP in middle 2017 lol, so i still remember what makes me continue watching OP. I was naruto fanboi before and think what is interesting about a man with rubber body lol.
Back to thetopic, i started to feel into OP at baratie, because they do battle on sea, thats very pirate lol. Moreover the introduction of zoro's goal made it better.
But the epicness is at arlong park when luffy give his hat to nami and walk to arlong park. The walk is so iconic in anime with badass backsound music. And what make it more epic is zoro's 2 friend tell all citizen about luffy zoro sanji usopp with such epic paragraph

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper

Before this moment, I viewed One Piece as a fun story about a group of wacky mismatched pirates fighting tough opponents with little aim. This showed me that they weren’t a rag tag team of miscreants; they were nakama who shared an unbreakable bond. How could you NOT fall in love??
Some of the most emotional and badass moments ever

I also loved when Sabo met Luffy again, though that's for a different topic

H

Haoshoku

Everyone was gangsta until Mihawk was mentioned
Tell me this scene doesn’t give you goosebumps. Here you got a man who’s mere presence dwarfed anything we’ve gotten up to that point. A one man army who was casually slicing up galleons from his seat. That was enough to get me really interested in what to expect for the rest of the series. Mihawk raised the bar.

A Japanese member of a DBZ forum first brought it to my attention at the end of 2001. I'd been scoping out the series between Grand Battle 2 release and the Treasure Battle previews on Magic Box. Greg got his OP beginner's guide up and there were raw releases back then of Jaya. Stephen Paul had already started translating the series. So I was already hyped and completely sold by the time the US Jump got to Buggy. Gong, chapter 15.