Character Discussion Explaining why Kidd is a good character

If you have to explain that means he isn't a good character.

No one needs to explain why Whitebeard is a good character. Or Mihawk. Or Crocodile. Or Doflamingo.
The one piece fandom is driven by agenda more than it is literary analysis.

People hate Kid because he's a loser. However, I honestly think Kid being a loser makes him a good character. Because as opposed to Luffy, who has all of the plot armor, Kid has zero plot armor. Hence its more interesting to root for Kid, because 9/10 times, he's probably going to lose.

People hate Kid because he's a loser. However, I honestly think Kid being a loser makes him a good character. Because as opposed to Luffy, who has all of the plot armor, Kid has zero plot armor. Hence its more interesting to root for Kid, because 9/10 times, he's probably going to lose.
So, he’s a good character because... he’s easy to make fun of?? :josad:

Really, who hates Kid?

People hates Akainu for killing Ace. Akainu is a great character.

If Kid is hated he is a great character too. But he isn't hated. Because he fucking sucks as a character.

No one can hate a bad character. Except if this character is the protagonist.

Buggy is a loser but everybody loves him.

I think Kid is a great character because despite the fact that Apoo betrayed their alliance, he lets bygones be bygones after Apoo gave him a papercut (possibly because he knew if him and Apoo kept fighting, He’d get dogwalked)

That shows extreme growth and maturity within a character to know when to pick their battles! That is a trait befitting of a good character
Facts him and his right hand always knew apoo was actually that Guy :pepapoo:

I don’t recall Kid doing much of anything during the entirety of One Piece. His focus doing Wano was what separated him from all the others from the Worst Generation who hardly did anything (does anyone really care about Bege and Hawkins?).

And even then, his role in Wano was the only real one aside from his showing during Sabaody Archipelago. He still got his butt beat by Kaido, thrown into a prison cell and Killer wasn’t lucky enough to eat a SMILE fruit that wasn’t a defect. Not to mention how much of a jerk he is towards anyone who isn’t on his crew, and his overconfidence did him no good.

This should’ve been a red flag for everyone, but a lot of you guys still thought he stood a chance against Shanks. Although I’ll admit, even I think Oda should’ve had Kid do more against the Red Hair Pirates, but instead he just had him get crushed without accomplishing anything.

I feel no pain, because there was no reason for me to feel it. His character was underdeveloped and went through barely any change in the previous arc.

Oda will need a good reason to bring him back, and making him a Luffy fanboy would be a fate worse than death for his character. We already got a bunch of those during Dressrosa. :crazwhat:
kidd: luffy senpaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Since he has been betrayed by his own fandom, I thought of making a thread to explain why I think Kidd is better character than it appears for the casual reader.
First of all to understand why he is a good character, you have to understand Oda's writing which is quite easy but some still fail to do so.
So here's a few points on why Kidd is awesome.

1. There never was any build up for his character to be among the favourite in the PK title in the New World yet people think he was going to be Luffy's main rival, that's how good he was. And he managed to go that far despite all that. He is a random SN like Apoo (his true rival who is slightly stronger than him), Bege or Bonney, let's not forget that.

2. He is weak af post TS, yet he managed somehow (thanks to sheer luck) to obtain some road poneglyphs which is an enormous feat.

3. He had great character development in Wano. He arrived there completely defeated and his crew mentally fucked by Kaido and Orochi. At first he was acting like a moron and wanted to play solo, like when he left Udon with Killer, he was kinda sulking like a baby saying he will do things his own way. What happened? A second wake up call on the rooftop where he arrived with no new plan and witnessed again the gap between him and Kaido. That's when he acted like a more mature man and accepted he couldn't do shit to Kaido and went after BM. Later on when he understood that he wouldn't do shit to BM alone, he also accepted Law's help.
So at first he said he would do things his own way, but then his character progressed when he accepted that it wouldn't work and he started doing things the way others told him to. That's called character developement.

4. Feat wise, he is very impressive, he should be around YC3 or YC2 level which puts him among the strongest characters in the NW (easily top 50 or 60).

5. He had a nice ship, too bad it was destroyed.

So overall despite being just another SN, he achieved more than most of them in the NW, things he was never supposed to achieve but I suspect Oda took a liking to his character and gave him more panels and feats that he intended to at first.

Feel free to share your opinions and eventually had why you guys think Kidd was a great character

@Apollo @Agni Kaios @Akagami Law @Akagami No Shanks @Akai2 @Aknolagon @AverageNamiEnjoyer @BaboonMihawk @Brendan Schaub @bennbeckman @Celestial D. Dragon @Cream filled donut7 @Cutty Jewboy @Cinera @CoC: Color of Clowns @Dark Admiral @Dark-Abel @DarkestKnightofSpoilers @Doggo @FutureWarrior123 @Fuckthis3 @Gaimon The Pirate @General Rayleigh @GeneralP123 @Gensui Sazid @nik87 @ShishioIsBack @ShiShiShi @Playa4321 @HA001 OF THE RAIN @Hades @Red Admiral @Red Haired Beast @Redboy776 @Fleet Leader Fenaker @Elder Lee Hung @Natalija @Kerkovian @Blackbeard @Le Fishe D. Tomdou @Jailer @MonsterKaido @Monster Luffy @MonsterZoro @Hanzo hattori @Nidai_Kitetsu @Seatonnes @NikaInParis @Nikuzi @Rmstorm @Roronoa-sama @Konstantis @Paperchampion23 @Pantheos @rerere @ReggieZoldyck21 @SDfear @Extravlad @Bogard , etc...
Well, he was always a Luffy who lacked plot armor to make him pull through.
People had wrong expectations because he had higher bounty than Luffy and because they thought he was Whitebeard of the new era.
The fans also couldnt help themselves and wanted him to be stronger than Zoro of all people...

He was never particularly interesting to me, big talker without anything to back it up.
Slightly more important side character than others but that's it.
There is nothing to complain about nor to cheer for. His fans had wrong expectations, that pretty much sums it up.

If you have to explain that means he isn't a good character.

No one needs to explain why Whitebeard is a good character. Or Mihawk. Or Crocodile. Or Doflamingo.
Mihawk is basic and we know nothing of him
His entire character is just based on hype

that’s not good lol
Post automatically merged:

Well, he was always a Luffy who lacked plot armor to make him pull through.
People had wrong expectations because he had higher bounty than Luffy and because they thought he was Whitebeard of the new era.
The fans also couldnt help themselves and wanted him to be stronger than Zoro of all people...

He was never particularly interesting to me, big talker without anything to back it up.
Slightly more important side character than others but that's it.
There is nothing to complain about nor to cheer for. His fans had wrong expectations, that pretty much sums it up.
Killer is a Zoro without plot armor

Mihawk is basic and we know nothing of him
His entire character is just based on hype

that’s not good lol
That's Shanks.

We know Mihawk is a lone wolf. Sigma Male. WSS. He hunts others for fun. Pirates or Marines. He knows how to cook. Enjoys a good wine. French vibes from him. He is a man of honor. Everything about him is perfect.

Killer is a Zoro without plot armor
You mean Killer is Luffy without plot armor? Because Zoro doesn't have it.

That's Shanks.

We know Mihawk is a lone wolf. Sigma Male. WSS. He hunts others for fun. Pirates or Marines. He knows how to cook. Enjoys a good wine. French vibes from him. He is a man of honor. Everything about him is perfect.

You mean Killer is Luffy without plot armor? Because Zoro doesn't have it.
You literally sound like a beta male fanboy who overdosed on estrogen pills with how much you’re cock riding rn
I suppose this is the effects of being a Zoro/Mihawk fan

We literally know nothing of Mihawk and you’re making up things in a poor attempt to defend him…….Zoro is the king of plot armor btw. He can never struggle or look bad and is hardly involved in any gags. Oda gave super plot armor to him the moment he said “I will never lose again” lol zoro legit has more plot armor than most hard working MC’s including Luffy himself

You seem young to me so I won’t clown on a kid too hard. I’ll get back to you when you’re old enough to comprehend that there’s much more to a character besides looking “cool” and “badass” lol

His fans had wrong expectations, that pretty much sums it up.
That's exactly my point. If you take into consideration that he is just another random bum in the NW and look closely at his achievements, it's very impressive.
And I disagree with all the people saying he is Luffy without plot. Without plot he would be dead, he can barely use any kind of haki and he still managed to defeat a Yonko (by far the weakest one) in a 1v2. It's insane.

Kid is the realistic version of Luffy.
He defeated a Yonko in a 1v2 without using haki and the Yonko forgot she had haki. That's a bigger plot armor than Luffy ever had.

Last edited: