Character Discussion Imu is a woman

What is Imu's gender?

• Total voters
J

Joygirl1

I think it´s time for me to let the cat out of the bag.

- Has at least one red eye
- Likes animals
- Can change the flow of time
- Watches from the shadows pretty often and only steps in when things are getting serious

The girl you see on my profile pic is actually a major spoiler because she is Imu. Kurumi is Imu. It´s KurIMU!

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
@Cinera
I get it you really want Imu to be women so you can simp for her and look at all those r34 pics, but just remember to keep your expectations really low and not make too many headcanon ideas for what you want Imu to be.
No. I was persuaded that Imu was a woman by arguments that others raised before I took an interest in their character.

Saying "Imu seems more likely to be a woman" is not a "headcanon idea". There's actually evidence in favour of it. It's a hypothesis but not an unsubstantiated one.

(The simping stuff is just me having fun/playing to my reputation. It doesn't actually affect how likely I think it is that Imu is a woman.)

If Imu ends up being a guy but still ends up being badass and really threatening and also very powerful, I don't think they will have any problem with Imu being a guy.

Right? @Cinera @SakazOuki
No reason for discontent, nonetheless it would be a weird decision for Oda to suddenly shift his gender conservative style, that's the mainn reason Imu is a woman. A more reasonable outcome is Imu being both yin & yang or neither, like an actual supreme deity.

Im being a woman also has way more narrative projection than a man, in my opinion. Traditionally, women are figures of life, fertility, creation, nature, wisdom... They have a powerful symbolic transcendence behind them that fits the ruler and potential founder of the Government as a whole plus her room full of nature (almost like Gaia, who was married to Uranus and mothered the titans in a similar way Ymir created the giants).

I literally have a hard time imagining an adult male as Im. Either a woman or (interesting too) a kid, but a male... It's like it doesn't fit Oda's style and the symbolic reminiscences around the character.

But if Imu is a woman it confirms that Luffy won't fight her, since Oda never lets Luffy beat women, especially as the final fight.
He definitely won’t fight her in the classical 1v1 setting, but as a vicious godlike woman in control of an ancient weapon, a final fight against the major D. clan members seems reasonable.
Especially since you can’t use ancient weapons against her as one is a ship while the other is a group of sea kings.