Powers & Abilities Could Killer somehow awaken his smile

When I look at all the supernova, Killer seems to have been given the worst showing so far. He has a bounty barely higher than dressrosa sanji, he has no special powers or abilities, and he was seemingly mid diffed by pre-enma zoro.

All of this sets him up to be one of the weakest, if not the outright weakest supernova. And I don't like this. I don't like that there's a possibility that Sanji will end the arc significantly stronger than Killer. The supernova were supposed to be the strongest pirates of this generation, Killer specifically is the right hand to Kid, who is portrayed as a rival to Luffy.

I think at the very least, Killer should be on par with the weakest of Luffy's top trio, be that Jinbe or Sanji. He is a supernova in his own right and shouldn't be irrelevantized imo.

I think Oda should do something to power up killer, show us why Killer is a supernova and not just a strong underling of Kid. A very interesting theory I had was that somehow it would be possible for Killer to awaken the powers of his smile.

We know that Killer did eat a smile, while that smile is presumed to be defective, there's a lot about devil fruits and smiles that we don't know. the fruit didn't give killer any powers, but killer still ate the fruit and it did effect his body. Perhaps some part of that smile's power is still inside of killer, but dormant. And that if pushed to his extremes, Killer could possibly awaken it.

Being the only other supernova who isn't a captain, Killer does in some ways parallel Zoro. By unlocking his smile powers, I think Killer could gain an ability that parallels Zoro's asura. We have seen several smile fruits that give their users multiple arms, perhaps this could be killer's smile ability.

Killer also defeated Zoro with one hit with his scythe. And prior to the opening made by Gyukymaru attack, neither him nor Zoro were able to land real blows to the other. I don't see their duel as a bad showing, quite the contrary. They were both nerfed (lacking one sword for Zoro, lacking his usual weapons for Killer) and still managed each to land a blow which k-oed the other.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Killer also defeated Zoro with one hit with his scythe. And prior to the opening made by Gyukymaru attack, neither him nor Zoro were able to land real blows to the other. I don't see their duel as a bad showing, quite the contrary. They were both nerfed (lacking one sword for Zoro, lacking his usual weapons for Killer) and still managed each to land a blow which k-oed the other.
Difference being killer would never land his hit in a 1 vs 1 and a santoryu zoro is shown to speedblitz him.

HA001

Again, only because Killer lacked his weapons. Zoro was only able to hurt him with three weapons. It stands to reason that Killer with his mini-scythes on the wrists would be able to better defend himself.
Lmfao in what way. Zoro speed blitz him. Meaning he attacked and got a hit off so fast killer couldnt react to it. The guantlets wouldn't help him for that.

Lmfao in what way. Zoro speed blitz him. Meaning he attacked and got a hit off so fast killer couldnt react to it. The guantlets wouldn't help him for that.
Of course they would have. He never used scythes; Zoro has already fought and defeated people with two swords. He needed three to be able to touch Killer and had to steal one of Killer's scythes to do so. There is no logical way to say "Zoro's faster when he got three swords" if you contest the basic notion that killer with his own weapons is also a lot stronger. And Killer one-shoted Zoro, his attack was simply longer to take effect.

Again, only because Killer lacked his weapons. Zoro was only able to hurt him with three weapons. It stands to reason that Killer with his mini-scythes on the wrists would be able to better defend himself.
Where is your proof Killer was weaker with the scythes? He ate a SMILE by his choice. Its pretty obvious he can use a weapon of his own choice as well.

You think Orochi wouldn't let his soldier max his potential by using his favorite weapons or something? Killer could be equally strong with both of them.

HA001

Of course they would have. He never used scythes; Zoro has already fought and defeated people with two swords. He needed three to be able to touch Killer and had to steal one of Killer's scythes to do so. There is no logical way to say "Zoro's faster when he got three swords" if you contest the basic notion that killer with his own weapons is also a lot stronger. And Killer one-shoted Zoro, his attack was simply longer to take effect.
Zoro was proven faster and stronger than killer. Note he never used any 2 sword name attacks either. Zoro didnt go down just to killer though as the speech bubble from his stomach shows.

Where is your proof Killer was weaker with the scythes? He ate a SMILE by his choice. Its pretty obvious he can use a weapon of his own choice as well.

You think Orochi wouldn't let his soldier max his potential by using his favorite weapons or something? Killer could be equally strong with both of them.
Where is your proof that he's not weaker with those ?

Because I have plenty of empirical evidence to back me up :

-Killer never used scythes before - nor after
-He had to use the identity of Kamazou because Wano is a closed-off country and his main weapons are obviously not from Wano
-Orochi is a cruel and wicked one who never intended to let Killer save Kid, it is perfectly in line with his twisted behavior to force Killer to use weapons he isn't familiar with, only because it amuses Orochi to see him struggling even more
-Killer would have accepted because, just like Zoro, he'd to anything for his Captain, even potential eating an already bitten SMILE (I don't think it's sure yet if he ate one who could make him a Gifter or one which was already deemed a dud)
-We also know that Killer and Kid fought Kaido until they couldn't move - and several days/weeks after that, Kidd was still greatly injured so it's probable that just like Zoro wasn't at his best (poisonous food and drinks taking a small toll on him - as seen when he glared at Killer after defeating him, Zoro knows he'll lose consciousness because of his attack, the digestive problems compounding to it) Killer was not at 100%

All of this to say that I rest my case : Killer had a really good showing against Zoro and proved to be nearly is equals, even if both of them were nerfed.

Edit : as an aside, even if we discount the widly different stances that his normal weapons give him compared to the scythes, Killer ended the fight with one less weapon when he always used two. Meaning that he was "nerfed" when Zoro was "upped" even if we just take into account the number of weapons (which isn't significative for me, by the way).

Last edited:

Also have to add is that Orochi most likely didnt make him choose scythes. With Kid technically being held captive, he had no fear of Killer and wouldnt have to nerf him. Its most likely Oda wanting to change Killer's weapon to not have the readers know it was him since his weapons are unique

HA001

Where is your proof that he's not weaker with those ?

Because I have plenty of empirical evidence to back me up :

-Killer never used scythes before - nor after
-He had to use the identity of Kamazou because Wano is a closed-off country and his main weapons are obviously not from Wano
-Orochi is a cruel and wicked one who never intended to let Killer save Kid, it is perfectly in line with his twisted behavior to force Killer to use weapons he isn't familiar with, only because it amuses Orochi to see him struggling even more
-Killer would have accepted because, just like Zoro, he'd to anything for his Captain, even potential eating an already bitten SMILE (I don't think it's sure yet if he ate one who could make him a Gifter or one which was already deemed a dud)
-We also know that Killer and Kid fought Kaido until they couldn't move - and several days/weeks after that, Kidd was still greatly injured so it's probable that just like Zoro wasn't at his best (poisonous food and drinks taking a small toll on him - as seen when he glared at Killer after defeating him, Zoro knows he'll lose consciousness because of his attack, the digestive problems compounding to it) Killer was not at 100%

All of this to say that I rest my case : Killer had a really good showing against Zoro and proved to be nearly is equals, even if both of them were nerfed.

Edit : as an aside, even if we discount the widly different stances that his normal weapons give him compared to the scythes, Killer ended the fight with one less weapon when he always used two. Meaning that he was "nerfed" when Zoro was "upped" even if we just take into account the number of weapons (which isn't significative for me, by the way).
He only lost a scythe cause his whole strength was weaker than zoro flexing his chest he doesnt get a pass for that.

It’s a candyboi tactic to undermine Zoro

Hurr durr nerfer hurr

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I thought this was a thread about Killer smile not killer vs Zoro.... (yes Killer was nerfed)

I think we can see that in two different ways :

Why I don't think Killer will "awaken" it ?

Because of Killer personality : Killer hate his laugh, and hate that people can see his face now laughing etc. It is one of his biggest mental weakness. So having a SMILE now can be a great way to make him overcome this weakness and make him accept his laugh and cure a little. With his crew and Kid especially he can finally accept himself. And this new acceptance can make him stronger. The faith that his compagnons have in him and his new confidence.

I also think that those SMILE are crappy. And for now the rule was that one out of 10 is "useful".

I also think that maybe the Smile will be cured and that Chopper will somewhat help with that.

Why he can awaken it ?

Because we know people can work over their SMILE and train them : I think it was said in a VC that Sheepshead was able to master his SMILE to the fullest and he can activate it or disactivate it at will. So the SMILE are not absolute and people can master them, likely with work, will etc.

It can be a nice way to power up Killer and I think that if he has a great animal it can make him stronger. It will be an original PU among the SN and no one will have the same power as him. Nice way to single out him.

And it can be a good way to make his fight in Wano to be interesting and stimulating.

All in all I don't know but for now I think he won't awake it. I prefer Killer to overcome it personality wise.

Last edited:
Honestly i was also disappointed from Kamzou.
Bt recently he got his original Gauntlets back, so indeed he was nerfed.

I can see him improving significantly, and df awakening can be faster way, or Haki.
I am not sure if Smile can be awakened bt i liked the concept. Either Chopper cures it by Wano end or he awakens it.

Bogard

You can't win
Regardless of whether Killer awakens his fruit or not, i believe Killer's next showings will be very impressive. Hawkins praised Killer's willpower alongside Kid's when it came down to fight Kaido, and he is now one of the 4 SNs attacking a yonko alliance from the front. It's pretty evident to me that Oda aims at Killer playing a huge role, which was to be expected from a SN who is affiliated to Kid, who Oda aimed at playing a big role from the beginning.

With that said, him awakening his devil fruit would certainly be a good development considering he was force-feed the fake smile by Orochi as a way to destroy his will, so him awakening a devil fruit ability from this would not only turn the balance from upside down, but it'd make Killer stronger and redeem the fact he ate the smile a bit.

Even the downside("fafafa" laugh) was already taken well from the Kid pirates, so i expect some good development going his way from now on