I don't think he's that random, before we cut away from Egghead there was this narrator recap and teasing about the incident happening the day after, so to me it wasn't that shocking that we left.

No matter how I see it, when I reread the last 3 chapters it really doesn't make sense to cut now.

I think it could easily be a conversation Luffy & Kizaru have, with maybe a panel showing Akainu looking cool.
Yeah sorry, I clarified in another post. Not random per se, but just scenes to suit the need of the event happening. He's more keen on jumping between islands now to get everyone where they need to be exactly.

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
Kuma is attacking Mariejois and keeps getting knocked down though, Marineford is right next to it and all of the other marine top tiers are deployed except Akainu, Sengoku, and Tsuru.
I mean sure. To me the idea of Akainu putting down a severely wounded Kuma is not worth getting excited about lol. Ryokugyu already negged Weevil, Admiral > Warlord is not new information at this point, especially with Kuma already wounded.